Confirmed with Link: Paul Maurice signs 3 year deal to be head coach of the Florida Panthers (update 3/3/2023 given vote of confidence by Bill Zito)

Would you have preferred Brunette return over hiring Maurice?

• yes, give him the chance to grow

Votes: 34 33.7%
  • no, Florida doesn't have time to see him through the growing pains

Votes: 67 66.3%

• Total voters

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
There were plenty on Panthers fans who said DeBoer and Gallant sucked during their time here. So once again, pardon me if I ignore frivolous shit from bitter fans about Mo. Maybe he won’t turn out well, maybe he will, but for now I’m gonna think that Zito knew what he was doing. And I agree with him that keeping Bruno was not the right option. That’s already a win.

BabyBennettov

May 2, 2002
Under the Sunshine
Visit site
There were plenty on Panthers fans who said DeBoer and Gallant sucked during their time here. So once again, pardon me if I ignore frivolous shit from bitter fans about Mo. Maybe he won’t turn out well, maybe he will, but for now I’m gonna think that Zito knew what he was doing. And I agree with him that keeping Bruno was not the right option. That’s already a win.

But we love Bruno ! :(

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Florida will do great in the regular season. PoMo is a player’s coach and the team morale will be high for awhile. However, he cannot make meaningful in-game adjustments, has a horrible M2M defensive scheme, favours age above merits and never adjusts PK and PP structures (even if they are failing miserably). Florida cannot take it to the next level with Maurice.

I love the Anthers, so this move broke my heart.
I really hope you're wrong, otherwise can anyone tell me how this is an improvement over Brunette?

So far, the only good things I've heard about Maurice is "he gives great interviews", "players like him" and "he has been around for a long time". What else does he do well? How will he make the team better?

BabyBennettov

May 2, 2002
Under the Sunshine
Visit site
I really hope you're wrong, otherwise can anyone tell me how this is an improvement over Brunette?

So far, the only good things I've heard about Maurice is "he gives great interviews", "players like him" and "he has been around for a long time". What else does he do well? How will he make the team better?

This.

I heard he chews gum better than Brunette !

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
All these Jets fans coming here remind of of all the Habs fans coming to sing praises when Florida got Chiarot. Fans viewpoints are shifted. Maurice way overstayed his welcome, if Florida hired him in 2018 Jets fans would be saying what a steal. Brunette stunk and it's 3 years, it's low risk.
Yah I appreciate the insight from them and that they're trying to give us some info on him but if my team had one coach for 9 years I'd probably be bitter about him too.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
Maurice said in a Jeff Marek interview that one of the interviews was TEN HOURS long. You can go through the details of the game pre thoroughly in that long of a session. Zito ended up hiring him and Zito's quite smart about hockey so i expect this to be a good choice!

So far Zito has shown that he and his crew have been able to evaluate undervalued players correctly but he's been unable to build a cohesive team. Like, we all knew what kind of a player Duke is in the playoffs but still he wanted to keep him in the fold. His TDL acquisitions and playoffs were a failure because he didn't couldn't see that how vulnerable this team was based on their reliance on solely one style of play.

I don't think PoMo is a disaster hire but he's another retread while the rest of league is taking chances by moving away from proven mediocrities. Feels like based on Zito's comments that he didn't do much of prospecting of coaching candidates during the reg season but rather he specifically waited for the pool of available experienced coaches to be large as possible and only then he started his search for a coach. Therefore, "the right fit" which Zito and PoMo talked about in the presser could only be between the coaching staff and the mgmt/ownership while it could be imo insufficient between the players and PoMo.

BeezKnees

Jun 4, 2010
Orlando, FL
Maurice said in a Jeff Marek interview that one of the interviews was TEN HOURS long. You can go through the details of the game pre thoroughly in that long of a session. Zito ended up hiring him and Zito's quite smart about hockey so i expect this to be a good choice!
Heard that too and made me wonder if they sat down and watched all 10 playoff games in full with Maurice commenting.

Reactions: Dread Clawz

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreChamps
Jul 13, 2013
Poll added. I'm just very surprised at the complaints. Trotz is looking for a GM role and Cassidy was scooped up by Vegas so quick, Florida getting a middle of the road coach is imo certainly preferable than watching Brunette again in the playoffs. He just ran Q's system and didn't make adjustments. The bar for Maurice to match Brunette is to have a good regular season and shit the bed in the playoffs, I think he'll at least do that lol. Does winning a round where they struggled a lot to make adjustments against an inferior team and only won because Bob was good and Verhaeghe has huge balls really buy that much good will?

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
I voted no, but not because Brunette would have been a bad route but I think Maurice is and always has been a solid coach and he brings tons more experience.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
Poll added. I'm just very surprised at the complaints. Trotz is looking for a GM role and Cassidy was scooped up by Vegas so quick, Florida getting a middle of the road coach is imo certainly preferable than watching Brunette again in the playoffs. He just ran Q's system and didn't make adjustments. The bar for Maurice to match Brunette is to have a good regular season and shit the bed in the playoffs, I think he'll at least do that lol. Does winning a round where they struggled a lot to make adjustments against an inferior team and only won because Bob was good and Verhaeghe has huge balls really buy that much good will?

Bruno is the benchmark by which to judge how good of a hire PoMo is? Nobody wouldn't have even imagined him being a head coach if it wasn't for that Hawks' debacle.

Gizmo Tkachuk

Registered Loser
Sep 23, 2009
Florida

Can't wait for all the takes when we don't win the Presidents next year.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
Tbh, does anyone really know the intricacies and nuances of every coaches schemes and systems or do we really just base our opinions on coaches based on whether their team did good or not? If you got a good roster, you’ll probably do good regardless (brunette), if you have a bad roster you’ll probably do bad. Even things like the heat maps may not paint a perfect picture if you got lousy players on the roster, or players who may be skilled but aren’t team/winning players. I guess if you could take a lousy team on paper and have them over achieve that certainly looks good, but I’m not gonna sit around and pretend I know literally anything about Maurice or really any of the other coaches other than who they’ve coached in the past and their records. This isn’t football. There’s only so much actual scheme work you can implement, most players and teams play the same way, just gotta make the right adjustments along the way. Hell, even some head coaches don’t run the pp and/or pk, sometimes it’s the assistants who do. So hell if I know what these guys actually bring. Zito is a smart and meticulous guy, he met with him all day and picked his brain enough to the point that he wanted to hire him, plus he’s got experience, had been to conference finals and even a Stanley cup appearance in his career (I don’t care how long ago, plenty of coaches will never see a Stanley cup appearance). Let him try and we’ll see how things go

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
Can't wait for all the takes when we don't win the Presidents next year.
Yeah it’ll be annoying. Not a snowballs chance in hell they repeat what they did this season. I still expect them to be very good but we’ll lose some guys and plenty of guys won’t be able to replicate last years numbers. Our franchise records were bonkers. It’s not repeatable. And because of that I’m sure Maurice and plenty others will have to deal with unwarranted shit. Maybe some will be warranted, we’ll have to see how things truly go, but no doubt there will be a drop off, regardless of whether we kept brunette or if it were Q or whomever

BabyBennettov

May 2, 2002
Under the Sunshine
Visit site
Still not impressed with that hiring…

Maurice has been historically BAD with special teams…

The more you read about him and it seems like he is a good interview who will NOT make adjustments…

And people are pleased because he has experience doing the same things Brunette did.

That’s cool.

So we’re getting a Brunette-clone with more than a thousand games behind the bench… Cool.

I always kind of view the guy has a good coach… Not a great one. Let’s see if he can become one with this group. But really NOT impressed.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Still not impressed with that hiring…

Maurice has been historically BAD with special teams…

The more you read about him and it seems like he is a good interview who will NOT make adjustments…

And people are pleased because he has experience doing the same things Brunette did.

That’s cool.

So we’re getting a Brunette-clone with more than a thousand games behind the bench… Cool.

I always kind of view the guy has a good coach… Not a great one. Let’s see if he can become one with this group. But really NOT impressed.

Yep.

Basically Brunette sucks! But we're happy with a coach who has a similar style. But has more experience. At losing! lol

As I said earlier in this thread, a sideways step at best. I see nothing in his resume that screams coach to lead us to the Stanley Cup.

We'll do well in the regular season, maybe make the 2nd round and that's all she wrote. So the same as this season. :laugh:

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Tbh, does anyone really know the intricacies and nuances of every coaches schemes and systems or do we really just base our opinions on coaches based on whether their team did good or not? If you got a good roster, you’ll probably do good regardless (brunette), if you have a bad roster you’ll probably do bad. Even things like the heat maps may not paint a perfect picture if you got lousy players on the roster, or players who may be skilled but aren’t team/winning players. I guess if you could take a lousy team on paper and have them over achieve that certainly looks good, but I’m not gonna sit around and pretend I know literally anything about Maurice or really any of the other coaches other than who they’ve coached in the past and their records. This isn’t football. There’s only so much actual scheme work you can implement, most players and teams play the same way, just gotta make the right adjustments along the way. Hell, even some head coaches don’t run the pp and/or pk, sometimes it’s the assistants who do. So hell if I know what these guys actually bring. Zito is a smart and meticulous guy, he met with him all day and picked his brain enough to the point that he wanted to hire him, plus he’s got experience, had been to conference finals and even a Stanley cup appearance in his career (I don’t care how long ago, plenty of coaches will never see a Stanley cup appearance). Let him try and we’ll see how things go

I mean. We kind of saw the affect of coaching in Vancouver. Their roster didnt change, the guy behind the bench did. And they went from absolute dumpster into a fringe playoff team within 3 months. In fact, had they made the change 2 weeks earlier, they would have likely made the playoffs.

BeezKnees

Jun 4, 2010
Orlando, FL
Been reading a lot of background on Winnipeg's locker room struggles. It seems like there was a huge divide with team Schieffle-Wheeler and everyone else. Like catty behind-your-back talking, fist fights in practice, bullying and paranoia about younger guys stealing veterans' roles. A couple of players (Eakins and Hayes) quoted as saying it was the worst locker room theyve ever been a part of.

Not sure where the line is drawn between responsibility of Maurice as coach vs the players vs the GM for not ridding themselves of certain toxic players, but it seems like it was outlier bad. One thing about our locker room is that it appears (from the outside) that everyone is tight and wants to be a team. So this is a fresh start for Maurice and hopefully he can coach without worrying about petty drama for once.

Edit: one other thing I'll note is that there were great quotes from players about their support for Maurice on a yearly basis from a multitude of players. Stastny, Wheeler, Schieffle, Ehlers, etc all had really good things to say about him, even in those bad years.

StrangeVision

Wear a mask.
Apr 1, 2007
With regards to the justification of the hire due to his experience, I don't think we needed someone with losing experience in the NHL, we needed an experienced head coach with a record of winning at whatever level he coached. The issue with Brunette and his lack of experience wasn't limited to his limited coaching experience in the NHL, but his total lack of head coach experience anywhere. It honestly still blows my mind a bit that Zito thought that was acceptable, even if it did sorta work out (in the regular season, anyway).

I echo others who feel like this is a coach who is similar to Brunette, the main difference is he's been at it longer. I just can't get enthusiastic about this, and can't help but think Zito missed the mark on this one.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
With regards to the justification of the hire due to his experience, I don't think we needed someone with losing experience in the NHL, we needed an experienced head coach with a record of winning at whatever level he coached. The issue with Brunette and his lack of experience wasn't limited to his limited coaching experience in the NHL, but his total lack of head coach experience anywhere. It honestly still blows my mind a bit that Zito thought that was acceptable, even if it did sorta work out (in the regular season, anyway).

I echo others who feel like this is a coach who is similar to Brunette, the main difference is he's been at it longer. I just can't get enthusiastic about this, and can't help but think Zito missed the mark on this one.

I can kind of agree with this.

I was mulling this over yesterday. I think if Maurice was asked to come in back in December/January and Maurice said yes, this move would be more accepted than it is now.

Reactions: StrangeVision

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad