Confirmed with Link: Paul Maurice signs 3 year deal to be head coach of the Florida Panthers (update 3/3/2023 given vote of confidence by Bill Zito)

Would you have preferred Brunette return over hiring Maurice?

• yes, give him the chance to grow

Votes: 34 33.7%
  • no, Florida doesn't have time to see him through the growing pains

Votes: 67 66.3%

• Total voters

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
I like that he said he is looking to add to the team's game and not change it. And he addressed my concerns about what went wrong in the playoffs. The over reliance on stretch and rush chances.

Moreover, to Huby's disappointment, PoMo talked about making the right play instead of constantly taking big risks which can cost the Cats a handful of games.

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
When Paul Maurice suddenly “retired” as head coach of the Winnipeg Jets last season, GM Chevy said he will be taken good care by ownership. To me, that meant not only was he paid for the remainder of last season, they likely gave him a 1-year severance package for his long service and loyalty pertaining to the Adam Beach scandal.

Now that Zito gave Maurice 3 years at $4M per, will Maurice still get to keep his golden parachute package from the Jets?

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
These are not even the worst nicknames on this board.

Mush for Marchment. I mean come on now! Just awful.

You act like thats not how he wants to be called

1656011577452.png

Tell him yourself you hate the name he uses himself :laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: BabyBennettov

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
Or you can say he made it past round 1 only four times in 24 seasons.

There is an argument he has coached some bad teams... His best result was taking Carolina to SC finals in 2001/02; he was fired by them mid-2003/04 season and the Canes won the Cup two years later. Toronto did nothing for years after his two-year stretch; neither did Carolina in his second stretch.

From the main board:
"[Paul Maurice is] a great human being. But his systems are just bad, especially the zone defence and PK. Our defence never could adapt to the system, there was non-stop confusion and clumsy mistakes, blown coverage, you name it. Your goalie will get shelled with lower-risk shots once you get hemmed in your zone. He is also totally unable to counter trap hockey, which cost us every time we went to the playoffs."

Defence, bad PK and inability to counter trap hockey. Yeah...

We'll see. Not really a fan of the hiring but ready to be pleasantly surprised.
You will also love that he doesn't play young players much at all. Never changes his lines and will probably play Barkov 25 minutes a night and will have nothing left for the playoffs. As a Jets fan I wish you the best but in 9 years of watching this guy this post is pretty accurate.

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
Yikes.

So what would you say are his strengths?

On the "bright side", we don't have a lot of young players coming in so benching skilled youth shouldn't be much of an issue...
Speaking as a Jets fan he was the right guy to take over from Claude Noel who was in over his head. But he should have been gone in 2019 after the team imploded in the second half. Our owner's guiding principal is so he kept him on 3 years longer than he should have.

He will also turn your top 9 into a top 6 bottom 6 structure and play the fourth line 5 minutes a night with 'grit' guys, and play Barkov into the ground.

His strengths? Great interview. Media will love him.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
Seems like he didn't say some things that were off. Which is pretty much all I can ask for out of a press conference. No red flags.
And the best part to me was giving the perception of attention to detail. Again, that's what I liked about how the Jets played under him.

Reactions: Dread Clawz

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
He will also turn your top 9 into a top 6 bottom 6 structure and play the fourth line 5 minutes a night with 'grit' guys, and play Barkov into the ground.

His strengths? Great interview. Media will love him.

Spot on. He will cling on to Barkov like he did to Wheeler, good thing is that Barkov isn't like Wheeler and not out to pad his stats so he might actually walk PoMo back on it. Jets didn't have the same depth either, but Maurice will have at least full grinding line for sure.

Good interviews, fun times. He can hang out with a group of good hockey players and look good by their efforts but I don't see how he's bringing anything into the mix as a coach.

roon

Mar 1, 2012
Minnesota
As if coaching was the problem. Did the Florida front office pay attention to the disaster on skates known as Mackenzie Weegar during the playoffs?

I think his mistakes directly resulted in at least 1 lost game to TBL - perhaps more. Paul Maurice wont help that.

Reactions: Ippenator

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
Seems like he didn't say some things that were off. Which is pretty much all I can ask for out of a press conference. No red flags.
And the best part to me was giving the perception of attention to detail. Again, that's what I liked about how the Jets played under him.
Oh he says all the right things but attention to detail isn’t something the Jets were good at

Reactions: Mbraunm

Mbraunm

Oct 19, 2016
Florida will do great in the regular season. PoMo is a player’s coach and the team morale will be high for awhile. However, he cannot make meaningful in-game adjustments, has a horrible M2M defensive scheme, favours age above merits and never adjusts PK and PP structures (even if they are failing miserably). Florida cannot take it to the next level with Maurice.

I love the Anthers, so this move broke my heart.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
Oh he says all the right things but attention to detail isn’t something the Jets were good at
Well, when I watched the Jets play, it looked like it. Especially compared to what the Panthers usually do. And I'm not saying everything he's saying is so great. But he hit on some specifics that I looking for him to address.
And I'm willing to see what will happen and how it will play out, without having a negative feel about it before hand.

Sticksandsun

Mar 11, 2015
All these Jets fans coming here remind of of all the Habs fans coming to sing praises when Florida got Chiarot. Fans viewpoints are shifted. Maurice way overstayed his welcome, if Florida hired him in 2018 Jets fans would be saying what a steal. Brunette stunk and it's 3 years, it's low risk.

Reactions: ProjectPanthers

JP Mick

Sep 24, 2008
Homestead, FL
Why?
Winnipegs locker room is completely broken.

Maurice allowed the Jets players to run their locker room, he had multiple players want out during his coaching time.

There’s been so much talk(go read the Winnipeg board over the years) of Winnipeg having a 3 headed problem in their leadeship involving Maurice, Wheeler& Scheifele.

Laine for example wasn’t unhappy because he had to play in Winnipeg, it was for other reasons you can guess.

Florida seemed to have such a good locker room last year, I’d never want to bring Maurice there.
Not to mention how his team was underachieving
Reading all this hearsay garbage only makes me more glad we hired him. If he is honest and willing to put in the work to get there, that’s all I care about. Let’s go win a cup with Zito and Maurice. WTF not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad