Confirmed with Link: Paul Maurice signs 3 year deal to be head coach of the Florida Panthers (update 3/3/2023 given vote of confidence by Bill Zito)

Would you have preferred Brunette return over hiring Maurice?

• yes, give him the chance to grow

Votes: 34 33.7%
  • no, Florida doesn't have time to see him through the growing pains

Votes: 67 66.3%

• Total voters

Mogo

Jun 26, 2002
Hoping Paul Maurice pulls a Trotz is not something that instills confidence.

Fact is, Trotz got over the hump, overachieved with a NYI team that had no business being as good as they were, and is a more defensive minded coach than Paul Maurice.

His results as of recently speaks for itself.

Yes, but forget what Trotz did with Caps and NYI. Maurice is sorta in same situation now that Trotz had when taking over Caps

Reactions: Laus723

StrangeVision

Wear a mask.
Apr 1, 2007
Man, just accept it… This is how the Bruno bashing has been around this board for months…

EVERYTHING is related to Brunette, every single words or actions made by this franchise is a shot at Andrew or proof that he is incompetent.

You didn’t get the memo ?

Yeah I know, it’s ridiculous, but don’t say it too loudly because the majority will fall on you.

Bruno is bad, and we have to take a shot at him everything single time. That’s the way it is.

Stupid.

It's not only that, some people take every little comment these guys say way too seriously. A lot of posters also used to blow some of Brunette's postgame comments way out of proportion. Zito's comments were fine and not in any way a shot at Brunette. Of course he's gonna try to fluff up Maurice.

The irony is so thick I'm practically stuck in it. :laugh:

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Why?
Winnipegs locker room is completely broken.

Maurice allowed the Jets players to run their locker room, he had multiple players want out during his coaching time.

There’s been so much talk(go read the Winnipeg board over the years) of Winnipeg having a 3 headed problem in their leadeship involving Maurice, Wheeler& Scheifele.

Laine for example wasn’t unhappy because he had to play in Winnipeg, it was for other reasons you can guess.

Florida seemed to have such a good locker room last year, I’d never want to bring Maurice there.
Not to mention how his team was underachieving
Why?
Winnipegs locker room is completely broken.

Maurice allowed the Jets players to run their locker room, he had multiple players want out during his coaching time.

There’s been so much talk(go read the Winnipeg board over the years) of Winnipeg having a 3 headed problem in their leadeship involving Maurice, Wheeler& Scheifele.

Laine for example wasn’t unhappy because he had to play in Winnipeg, it was for other reasons you can guess.

Florida seemed to have such a good locker room last year, I’d never want to bring Maurice there.
Not to mention how his team was underachieving
Yeah coz anonymous posters on hfboards really know what’s going on in the locker rooms!

Kinda like so many here do.

(I’ve learned this: I need to clarify that the above is sarcasm. Also, I don’t mean to hurt feelings, but when it comes to people here claiming inside “knowledge” of the locker room or what Zito is thinking… let’s say I like the entertainment. Just like I hope other people enjoy my outlandish comments.)

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
The last thing Florida needs is a players coach!
They need a hard ass no nonsense bench boss that doesn’t care about anything but winning …..like Joel Quenville!
Oooops
Well with Maurice you will get nice politically acceptable excuses on what went wrong on the ice!
congratulations…… you really hired a really nice guy that gives good interviews and press conferences!

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
I’m not thrilled but Maurice has coached some awful teams and gotten okay results.

Let’s see what he can do with our roster, but, I’m not exactly holding my breath here.
I’ll say this: the skill of a coach that can get a lot out of what looks on paper to be a lesser team, does not necessarily translate to getting a lot out of what looks on paper to be a great team.

So time will tell what we have. I won’t have any expectations either, if there’s one thing I’ve learned (and earned, really, like everyone here) is that I should never have high expectations of this team.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Look at the kind of players needed to win a Cup. Big, two-way forwards who play physical. Winnipeg didnt have many of those. For all of Scheifele's talent he isnt a two way forward that wins you a Cup. He is no Kopitar, Toews, Mackinnon, Stamkos. Just isnt that high level talent. Great talent sure but not at the upper echelon of NHL centers. When that is your number one center you aren't going to be that successful. Add to that the remaining cast and you'll see that Winnipeg team was built to score but not win. Not to mention the locker room troubles, Everyone knew before hand Laine was more interested in his personal interest rather the team. That isn't Maurice or even Wheeler's fault I blame the GM for selecting him and building a weak, soft, small team. It's not like Maurice had a ton to work with.

Oh C’moon, don’t blame Laine.
The locker room is an even bigger mess now than it was when Laine was there.

He was just the latest player they put the blame on then.
Guess who’s loving life in Columbus and where the entire team talks about what a family they are? Columbus.

Guess where basically half the team is wanting out?
Winnipeg.

Go talk with Jets fans and you see how awesome it was going.

& Laine wanted out because of the leadership group which includes Maurice& Wheeler& Scheifele

The rumours were going pre and after Maurice left the team, very toxic locker room.

Yeah coz anonymous posters on hfboards really know what’s going on in the locker rooms!

Kinda like so many here do.

(I’ve learned this: I need to clarify that the above is sarcasm. Also, I don’t mean to hurt feelings, but when it comes to people here claiming inside “knowledge” of the locker room or what Zito is thinking… let’s say I like the entertainment. Just like I hope other people enjoy my outlandish comments.)

I’m not going just by hf boards, I read articles, listen to Finnish hockey podcasts where they hint at those things& nhl podcasts.
& you should know hf has lot of vetted posters who have sources in the game.
But go ahead and put blinders on what’s been happening there

That locker room is and was broken

Last edited:
Reactions: Ippenator

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
The last thing Florida needs is a players coach!
They need a hard ass no nonsense bench boss that doesn’t care about anything but winning …..like Joel Quenville!
Oooops
Well with Maurice you will get nice politically acceptable excuses on what went wrong on the ice!
congratulations…… you really hired a really nice guy that gives good interviews and press conferences!
Actually Q was kind of a players coach too.

CaptainScrewy

Apr 9, 2003
Hollywood , Florida
Visit site
The reason I really liked Zito is he seemed like a guy who is willing to take a risk and think outside the box, and because of that I thought he would be the guy to take a chance on the Finnish coach, would have much preferred that than tired retread hire but meh. Hope I'm wrong.

also, can anybody comment on Maurice's strengths as a coach?

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
It’s quite a brash claim to say that Maurice’s locker room was completely broken and Zito made a huge mistake bringing him on. I don’t have any expectations, but c’mon. Zito knew and knows way more about what’s going on than any poster here, including what’s happened in Winnipeg.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
The reason I really liked Zito is he seemed like a guy who is willing to take a risk and think outside the box, and because of that I thought he would be the guy to take a chance on the Finnish coach, would have much preferred that than tired retread hire but meh. Hope I'm wrong.

also, can anybody comment on Maurice's strengths as a coach?
While that's true, Zito is also methodical and patient. ESPN said Zito vetted Maurice carefully on everything from his management of players to on-ice tactics. They've done their homework on him and given Zito's track record I think this works out.

CaptainScrewy

Apr 9, 2003
Hollywood , Florida
Visit site
While that's true, Zito is also methodical and patient. ESPN said Zito vetted Maurice carefully on everything from his management of players to on-ice tactics. They've done their homework on him and given Zito's track record I think this works out.
I trust Zito, but being fair he does not have any "track record" to speak of when it comes to hiring coaches...

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
We’ll see what his style is, what his tendencies are, and how he makes adjustments. We can poke holes at them when they happen but idk it just seems kinda pointless right now. Plenty of people got on Q during his time here…except when he left, then he was irreplaceable :laugh: Any coach should do well here, just expect an inevitable drop vs last season just because there’s no way we could duplicate the season we had. We should still be good though.

Reactions: 16Skippy

BeezKnees

Jun 4, 2010
Orlando, FL
How do you know?? /sarcasm

PM mentioned in the presser something along the lines of "Zito pushed my buttons and figured me out from the get-go." Sounds like Zito did his homework on Maurice and asked the tough questions.

Reactions: Dread Clawz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad