Confirmed with Link: Paul Maurice signs 3 year deal to be head coach of the Florida Panthers (update 3/3/2023 given vote of confidence by Bill Zito)

Would you have preferred Brunette return over hiring Maurice?

• yes, give him the chance to grow

Votes: 34 33.7%
  • no, Florida doesn't have time to see him through the growing pains

Votes: 67 66.3%

• Total voters

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006

official

View attachment 561029God damn what a hit piece on Brunette lmao

stone-cold-steve-austin-stomping-mudholes.gif

So Bruno was dumb on top of everything else, huh? I didn’t know that. :naughty:

• Haha
Reactions: Gentle Man

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
Paul's experience and Intellect

Biggest criticism on Bruno was lack of experience (fair) but throwing in intellect...

If I'm Bruno i would feel that one.
Idk, I think you're reading way too far into it. You can't read any compliment of Maurice as a criticism of Brunette. If they really disapproved of Bruno's tenure, they wouldn't have offered him the Associate role.

16Skippy

Sep 12, 2009
I'm still not sure how to feel about this. I wasn't happy with Bruno in the playoffs but I also didn't want a change for the sake of it. Bruno seemed to know where he went wrong in the playoffs, I wouldn't have minded if Zito trusted that he leveled up in the process.

Like if we got Trotz, Torts, or even Deboer I'd be happy, but this I'm not sure.

I'm not convinced Maurice is going to be much better than Bruno, but I guess Zito is.

Great8Cam

Sponsor
Nov 2, 2008
Why keep Flounder as an assistant? When was he ever personally responsible for any success as an assistant with this team?

zeroG

Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA
You see the irony here, right? :laugh:

Maurice might be a solid coach, but there are lots of solid coaches, there are also lots of coaches who haven't won anything, and so far Maurice is also one of those, as well as one who has only ever made the Cup final once.

Look, I hope he wins a Cup here, but nothing in his resume tells me he increases our chances all that much. He's a solid coach and that's all he's proven to be. Hopefully he's what the team needs and his 25th year as head coach is the year he finally figures it out and wins the Cup, but right now this is underwhelming.

lol. yes.

but you don't hear me slagging coaches for "antiquated systems" like that WPG poster or other shit like that. in general, i'm show these guys respect and give them the benefit of the doubt.

that said, i can and do call bullshit. and i have a track record of being right.

Ghoste

#JustGetIn
Sponsor
Sep 14, 2005
San Diego, CA
I don’t watch other teams closely and all season long as I do with Florida. So I don’t know how Winnipeg plays night in and night out. It’s a bummer to hear their fans say he had no defensive structure. That’s the area I’d like to improve the most. Guess time will tell and we’ll wait and see.

-ghoste

Reactions: WickedPegJets

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
Remember that Maurice has been the coach of the Jets for a long time. Fans will sour on a coach after that long and by Maurice's account himself he lost the locker room and was willing to step down. I wouldn't say that's something to be concerned about, it happens in hockey naturally. Almost every coach goes through it now named Bowman.

I think it's important to give him a chance to implement his schemes with a fresh, extremely talented roster. It could be the perfect combination for both of these two, much like Trotz in Washington which is obviously the ideal outcome for this situation.

My point is we can't take everyone's word as gospel. The team will almost undoubtedly be very, very good again this season but it will be in the nitty gritty moments where we will see if Maurice's influence is enough to put this team over the top.

AwesomePanthers

Stanley Cup Champions!!
Aug 20, 2009
Love Maurice, great hire.

Brunnett isnt the coach ro vet us all the way. The train was just running during regular season, but fell through in the playoffs. A solid coach could maybe have changed that..

Reactions: Mogo

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
Yeah put me in the category of "don't know how to feel about this".

For all of Bruno's faults, he coached our best regular season ever and our 2nd round playoffs in over 20 years as a rookie HC.

Then we replace him with a coach thats been around for a long time, yet his track record leaves a lot to be desired.

Add to that, rumblings over the years of a questionable locker room in Winnipeg that he was a part of for 9 years.

I'm surprised some on here are willing to give Paul Maurice the benefit of the doubt but so quick to cast away Brunette on his 1st year after what was overall a successful season.

Mogo

Jun 26, 2002
People complaining about Maurice playoff record.

He's 0.448%

Barry Trotz

0.380% before he won a cup (15 seasons with Preds)

Bruce Cassidy

0.481%

Did they actually announce that Rob Tallas is staying?

Last edited:

Mogo

Jun 26, 2002
Brunette was given permission to talk with other teams some time ago. How is he not hired yet?
You'd think teams would be lined up for him with how highly regarded some have him here

I wish him the best of luck and I really do hope someone hires him.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
The fact that the mainboards hates this move and think Brunette should be back makes me like this even more.

Why?
Winnipegs locker room is completely broken.

Maurice allowed the Jets players to run their locker room, he had multiple players want out during his coaching time.

There’s been so much talk(go read the Winnipeg board over the years) of Winnipeg having a 3 headed problem in their leadeship involving Maurice, Wheeler& Scheifele.

Laine for example wasn’t unhappy because he had to play in Winnipeg, it was for other reasons you can guess.

Florida seemed to have such a good locker room last year, I’d never want to bring Maurice there.
Not to mention how his team was underachieving

Last edited:

BabyBennettov

May 2, 2002
Under the Sunshine
Visit site
Idk, I think you're reading way too far into it. You can't read any compliment of Maurice as a criticism of Brunette. If they really disapproved of Bruno's tenure, they wouldn't have offered him the Associate role.

Man, just accept it… This is how the Bruno bashing has been around this board for months…

EVERYTHING is related to Brunette, every single words or actions made by this franchise is a shot at Andrew or proof that he is incompetent.

You didn’t get the memo ?

Yeah I know, it’s ridiculous, but don’t say it too loudly because the majority will fall on you.

Bruno is bad, and we have to take a shot at him everything single time. That’s the way it is.

Stupid.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Man, just accept it… This is how the Bruno bashing has been around this board for months…

EVERYTHING is related to Brunette, every single words or actions made by this franchise is a shot at Andrew or proof that he is incompetent.

You didn’t get the memo ?

Yeah I know, it’s ridiculous, but don’t say it too loudly because the majority will fall on you.

Bruno is bad, and we have to take a shot at him everything single time. That’s the way it is.

Stupid.
It's not only that, some people take every little comment these guys say way too seriously. A lot of posters also used to blow some of Brunette's postgame comments way out of proportion. Zito's comments were fine and not in any way a shot at Brunette. Of course he's gonna try to fluff up Maurice.

IceManCat

#StanleyCupChampions2024🏆
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
Yeah put me in the category of "don't know how to feel about this".

For all of Bruno's faults, he coached our best regular season ever and our 2nd round playoffs in over 20 years as a rookie HC.

Then we replace him with a coach thats been around for a long time, yet his track record leaves a lot to be desired.

Add to that, rumblings over the years of a questionable locker room in Winnipeg that he was a part of for 9 years.

I'm surprised some on here are willing to give Paul Maurice the benefit of the doubt but so quick to cast away Brunette on his 1st year after what was overall a successful season.

We not only had the best season in history we had the best roster in history. That second part should not be ignored or looked over.

The team coached itself and it was evident during the playoffs (Powerplay / Bruno admitted he let the players "figure it out themselves for too long"). Major strategies that fall on the coach were mostly a failure for Bruno. Case in point his lack of ability to adjust lines during the playoffs, waiting too long to change the power play. If you look closely wherever strategy was needed Bruno didnt do well there. He failed to adjust correctly to a 1/3/1 during the Washington series if it wasn't for some puck luck we should have lost there. I didnt like the way he deployed Giroux either. Sure he had him out there for some key face-offs but overall I didnt feel he was deployed correctly. His impact was mitigated.

I'm not a huge fan of Maurice but I think he will do well here. This is NOT Winnipeg at all. That Winnipeg roster had some nice offensive players but top to bottom they weren't that much of a talented team. They also had several events between their players that ruined the locker room dynamic. Issues with Wheeler and Laine etc.. Those things ultimately do matter and it's hard to say how much of that is on the coach. Guys like Barkov, Ekblad etc will love his cerebral nature. If you ask the question which coach gives you a better chance to win the Cup? One who has been in the league coaching for 20 years or one who is coaching in his second season? Logic should dictate the former rather than the latter.

Don't forget it took Barry Trotz a long time before he won in Washington, Coach Q paid his dues as well taking him 13 years as a head coaching before winning with the Hawks, same for Daryl Sutter and the Kings it took him nearly two decades before being a cup winner.

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
People complaining about Maurice playoff record.

He's 0.448%

Barry Trotz

0.380% before he won a cup (15 seasons with Preds)

Bruce Cassidy

0.481%

Did they actually announce that Rob Tallas is staying?
Hoping Paul Maurice pulls a Trotz is not something that instills confidence.

Fact is, Trotz got over the hump, overachieved with a NYI team that had no business being as good as they were, and is a more defensive minded coach than Paul Maurice.

His results as of recently speaks for itself.

IceManCat

#StanleyCupChampions2024🏆
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
Why?
Winnipegs locker room is completely broken.

Maurice allowed the Jets players to run their locker room, he had multiple players want out during his coaching time.

There’s been so much talk(go read the Winnipeg board over the years) of Winnipeg having a 3 headed problem in their leadeship involving Maurice, Wheeler& Scheifele.

Laine for example wasn’t unhappy because he had to play in Winnipeg, it was for other reasons you can guess.

Florida seemed to have such a good locker room last year, I’d never want to bring Maurice there.
Not to mention how his team was underachieving

Look at the kind of players needed to win a Cup. Big, two-way forwards who play physical. Winnipeg didnt have many of those. For all of Scheifele's talent he isnt a two way forward that wins you a Cup. He is no Kopitar, Toews, Mackinnon, Stamkos. Just isnt that high level talent. Great talent sure but not at the upper echelon of NHL centers. When that is your number one center you aren't going to be that successful. Add to that the remaining cast and you'll see that Winnipeg team was built to score but not win. Not to mention the locker room troubles, Everyone knew before hand Laine was more interested in his personal interest rather the team. That isn't Maurice or even Wheeler's fault I blame the GM for selecting him and building a weak, soft, small team. It's not like Maurice had a ton to work with.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad