Confirmed with Link: Paul Maurice signs 3 year deal to be head coach of the Florida Panthers (update 3/3/2023 given vote of confidence by Bill Zito)

Would you have preferred Brunette return over hiring Maurice?

• yes, give him the chance to grow

Votes: 34 33.7%
  • no, Florida doesn't have time to see him through the growing pains

Votes: 67 66.3%

• Total voters

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
I obviously was joking around and not being serious.
Hard to tell sometimes, especially on these boards.

As I said, I’m skeptical, but I’ll give him a shot. Imo we can’t afford another playoffs where we get outcoached. I don’t think we were goalie’d at all, had the adjustments been made the playoffs have been able to take it to Vasi.

Weegs mentioned on Missing Curfew that they were expecting last year’s experience with Tampa, the knock down drag out, they were surprised it was what it was…which was outcoached.

jgimp

Sep 18, 2017
Ripley, Ont
Thank you for the insight. What type of players does he favor and dislike? Are there any recent Jets on the free agent/trade market that you could see us going after?

He really does like his vets/glue/leader (Wheeler/Bealieu) guys and superstars (Connor, prime Sheif). I don’t think it was a “dislike” thing for him but a lack of trust. He would rather play BooLoo as a 13th forward regardless of how bad he was than give Heinola a shot even though he was a better puck mover and shows a lot more offence than Nate ever did, simply because it was what he was comfortable with and he dare not deviate from that. The ongoing joke on the Jets forum was that PoMo was the absolute definition of insanity. Doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result.
In regards to players Florida could target? I could seriously see them making a run at Wheeler. He always seemed to be the favorite child, always defended him and always played the roster to suit him. I could see PoMo really push for a trade, given cap maneuvers of course.
Paul likes to run 2 scoring lines, a grinder line and a shutdown line. He never really deviated from that. I really haven’t looked at who’s available in FA so I couldn’t tell you who else they may target to fill those rolls.

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006

Got to be careful with the crayola analytics without proper context, which happens way too often.

Of course the regular season offense was going to be better this year than last. We added more offensive talent (Bennett full season, Reinhart, Lundell, Giroux at the end, March upgraded) and ran with a wide open system in a season when offense was lights out across the league. I know the numbers are relative, but the play style across the league definitely favoured our team make up.

The powerplay metrics improved in the Tampa series after a ridiculously long streak of futility that even Bruno admits he was too stubborn about changing things up. So yes of course they look better, because they included the changes that everyone was saying should have been done earlier, including himself in hindsight. Are we really giving credit for changing up something that should have been changed way earlier before giving up a 2-0 lead? And yeah of course Vasi was better than the scrubs in Washington, that's kind of beside the point and not addressing the issue.

Also, looking at unblocked shot attempts is a dumb way to look at power play effectiveness. It makes a lot of sense for 5v5 play to take out the noise and randomness with blocked shots, plus the other team blocking a shot means they don't have possession. But it's dumb to look at unblocked shots for the power play because not getting your shot blocked (or blocking a shot for the pk team) is a hugely important aspect of being effective on the power play. We were getting shots on the PP blocked like crazy, that was part of the problem which I don't think shows up in that chart.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
I don't get this post. That's a really good Winnipeg roster, and the Central Division teams weren't good at all. Nashville and Winnipeg were the most talented, Minnesota was built to lose in the first round, Colorado was coming off the worst season in a generation, Dallas was a one line team with no defenders, STL didn't have a 1C or a goalie, and the Blackhawks were falling apart.

Also, that's the year Hellebuyck was the Vezina runner-up.
What dont you get. Compare this season to that

1655933553330.png

1655933568905.png

Are we just going to ignore 4 of the teams in our division was absolutely abysmal? Lets compare the rest of the conference while we are at it

1655933667129.png

1655933692516.png

The east this year had the 8 teams set by December. The rest of the conference was shit. If you are going to criticize them for that year having being "not good," hate to tell you the teams this year in our conference were even worse.

55, 61, and a 63 point team in the east this year :laugh:

And where did I say that Winnipeg roster wasnt good by the way? All I said was our roster is better than that. Doesnt make them not good.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Or it's just overreacting after being Vasy'd?
Only next season will tell, and playoffs for sure
Could be an overreaction, but Bruno did get essentially his full season. Should he have been given one more season? I think that’s overdoing it on the leniency scale.

Reactions: WickedPegJets

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
Paul likes to run 2 scoring lines, a grinder line and a shutdown line. He never really deviated from that.
That doesn't bode well for our young guys. If he sticks true to that formula, we'll up with something like:

Verhaeghe - Barkov - Duclair
Huberdeau - Bennett - Reinhart
Lundell - Luostarinen - Mamin
Lomberg - Acciari - Denisenko

Maybe he tries to turn Denisenko into a grinder and plays him on the fourth line. But I don't know where Hippo fits in.

Last edited:

jgimp

Sep 18, 2017
Ripley, Ont
That doesn't bode well for our young guys. If he sticks true to that formula, we'll up with something like:

Lomberg - Acciari - Hornqvist

Maybe he tries to turn Denisenko into a grinder and plays him on the fourth line. But I don't know where Hippo fits in.

He tried that with Vesalainen and he’s overseas now. Not saying he’s the one who stumped his development, but it adds to the list of guys who’s development stalled in Winnipeg. Petan, Niku, Dano, Vesa...
There has been tons of debate as to whether PoMo has contributed to these guys stalling out and it’s a divisive subject, but alot agree that these guys weren’t put in the best situation to thrive.

Reactions: Ippenator

Crossbar

Apr 29, 2003
48" above the ice
If past coaching records meant everything, we would have beat the Isles and Tampa under Q instead of losing both times in the "first" round. We wouldn't have lost to Fred Flintstone Capuano's Isles either with their first round exit track record at the time vs. Gallant. Winny fans know better than us what we're getting from Maurice, doesn't sound too promising, but willing to see what he can accomplish here. This team definitely needs to learn the dump and chase game from someone. We need to learn to win in multiple ways, not just the transition game.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
Is this a fair critique?

Scheifele, Trouba, Morrissey, Ehlers, and Connor all debuted and developed into top line players under Maurice.

Roslovic struggled to break out, and succeeded in new scenery. Stanley and Vesalainen didn't work out. Laine is a mystery.

Overall, that's a pretty good track record for first round picks.

Sure, he has managed to 1st rounders into good players but I think that the main issue with Paul is that if he doesn't like some rookie instantly then he's not going to give him a chance to prove himself in the NHL.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Bruno's best option would be to seek a HC position in the AHL or some minor league. At this stage of his coaching career, he doesn't have the mind for strategy and tactics.
If I could like it, I would.

Lomberg - Acciari - Denisenko

Nah: Duke traded for the grinder and then:
Verhaege-Lundell-Barkov

kerrabria

May 3, 2018

I wonder how much we're paying Q. Surprised that we're paying so little for a coach

we aren't paying anything, right? or at least we shouldn't be. he resigned as part of a three-way mutual agreement between himself, the league, and the Panthers, and he was then suspended by the league.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
we aren't paying anything, right? or at least we shouldn't be. he resigned as part of a three-way mutual agreement between himself, the league, and the Panthers, and he was then suspended by the league.
It's unclear what the agreement was signed. They negotiated it on the flight home. It could have been something like "we pay X amount so you re sign" instead of getting suspended.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad