Confirmed with Link: Paul Maurice signs 3 year deal to be head coach of the Florida Panthers (update 3/3/2023 given vote of confidence by Bill Zito)

Would you have preferred Brunette return over hiring Maurice?

• yes, give him the chance to grow

Votes: 34 33.7%
  • no, Florida doesn't have time to see him through the growing pains

Votes: 67 66.3%

• Total voters

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
The thing I like most about this hire isn’t that Maurice is the guy but that Bruno isn’t. And that’s not intended to be Bruno bashing even though it does read like it. The point is that staying with Bruno would have sent the exact wrong signal right now to the team and to the fans. It would have been “keep doing what you’re doing” signal with some lip service to “we’re looking at way to change our PP and PK intensity and strategy”. But it would have been tweaks, no shocks, no signal of accountability.

Bruno being denied tells the team that they’re not here just for the fun and games they’d like to drift into. They’re here to spend a few to several years actually trying to win the Stanley Cup. That’s the goal for every team, or SHOULD be the goal for every team. This hire reminds the team of that fact. Performance has consequences.

And yeah, you’re not excluded from the group who must improve, Barkov and Huberdeau and Ekblad. I hope you grow a little sense of despair over the summer.

This is my opinion as a fan. If they don’t do anything better this time, they’ve made their choices, and I will make mine just the same. It’s all that I can control.

zeroG

Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA
The 3 times in 24 years thing is a huge misnomer, he's coached bad teams mostly and gets a lot out of them, never had the players he'll have here. I like this move, Trotz and Cassidy were the A+ moves but Maurice is on the next level down, solid coach. At least it's not Green, Blashill or Bowness.

This guy's next tweet is saying Florida did well in the playoffs and got goalied. Again, can't take these people who don't watch the games seriously.

with respect to your A+ comment, let me just say that i've loved listening to cassidy. he's a smart guy and a straight-shooter. that said, he walked into perhaps the easiest environment - the core was set, leadership was set, the team had spent years honing their defensive game under julien and getting a lot of postseason experience.

and they only made the final once in his time here. (i know, there are so many factors that go into simply getting to the final.) and we don't know exactly why he was let go. there were some rumblings about players being unhappy.

so, as much as i like him, i wouldn't necessarily have cassidy in an A+ spot with trotz.

Reactions: BabyBennettov

Gaebriel

Jan 17, 2004
DC
Show me a Jack Adams finalist and I'll show you a .930 goaltender we collectively scoff.

But also coaching is so important that it dooms a team before the season starts in other circumstances.

Coaching is extremely important except when it's not I guess.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Yikes!!! Just an awful choice. I’m very disappointed. Mr. Boring Hockey will not bring any real success to Florida unfortunately. A very bad choice for Florida in this situation.

Prepare for constant dump and chase hockey with a lot of grinding and no accountability for his favorite players. Also, if there are (or will be) any troublemakers in the team, he will not be able to handle the room. The guy is a good interview though, but unfortunately a very dishonest poser and pleaser of the media, and the people that he favors around the team.

A very, very disappointing choice, which makes me honestly very upset. I watched a lot of Jets hockey for years and really learned to dislike him and his coaching during all those years.

Last edited:

Mogo

Jun 26, 2002
An abysmal .380.

In hockey, you're always a loser until you're not. That's just how it goes.
This..

Yikes!!! Just an awful choice. I’m very disappointed. Mr. Boring Hockey will not bring any real success to Florida unfortunately. A very bad choice for Florida in this situation.

Prepare for constant dump and chase hockey with a lot of grinding and no accountability for his favorite plyers. Also, if there are (or will be) any troublemakers in the the team, he will not be able to handle the room. The guy is a good interview though, but unfortunately a very dishonest poser and pleaser of the media, and the people that he favors around the team. A very, very didappointing choice, which makes me honesty very upset.
Mr Boring hockey? We didnt hire Jalonen

BabyBennettov

May 2, 2002
Under the Sunshine
Visit site
Already covering your ass. Smart move ;)

Just curious. What was Trotz playoff record before winning a cup?

I gotta give you this one though, and I‘ll add a little bonus for you…

Checked it. Trotz winning percentage was the same as Maurice BEFORE the Caps era. In less games, but you’re right, they have comparables in their career-path and I always thought Maurice was the kind of coach that got this bad rep of « not a winner » because he just didn’t have the team or the luck (Hurricanes vs Red Wings in their Cinderella run) to achieve success.

But… Now he will have the team to win it all, AND Trotz had a much better reputation as an X and Os guy, getting the most out of a roster by playing good defense.

So let’s see what Paul can do.

I’ll add in bonus that when Maurice resigned this year, I thought he should be our top candidate/target and that he would fit well.

But the more I thought about it and look at it now, the more I‘m disappointed.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
This..

Mr Boring hockey? We didnt hire Jalonen
But you hired the losingest and most boring coach in the NHL. Jalonen knows at least how to win. Maurice knows better how to lose than how to win. Anyway, I wasn’t really expecting Jalonen as Florida’s coach, but honestly I would have taken any other available coach rather than Maurice. Just a bloody awful choice really!

zeroG

Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA
Sounds like exactly what we don't need.

Welp.

you gotta take everything you hear with a grain of salt, unless you're talking to an NHL coach or a very smart NHL player.

media doesn't know shit. public analytics people rarely know shit. fans sure as hell don't know shit. antiquated systems? lol. fans can't reliably distinguish between player's/coach's responsibility.

maurice is, by any measure, a solid NHL coach and a reasonable hire.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania

Prepare for constant dump and chase hockey with a lot of grinding and no accountability for his favorite players. Also, if there are (or will be) any troublemakers in the team, he will not be able to handle the room. The guy is a good interview though, but unfortunately a very dishonest poser and pleaser of the media, and the people that he favors around the team.

A very, very disappointing choice, which makes me honesty very upset. I watched a lot of Jets hockey for years and really learned to dislike him and his coaching during all those years.
We need boring hockey and dump and chase.

Reactions: BabyBennettov

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
We need boring hockey and dump and chase.
Maybe, but you definitely don’t need Paul Maurice. But you will see. No success for Florida for sure, as long as he is the coach. Sure, playoffs probably, but I wouldn't be even sure of that. And at least no chance to get even out of the first round if you get to the playoffs. Well, that’s of course what Florida has been used to when they rarely have got to the playoffs. So I guess Paul Maurice gives what is familiar so far. The all time losingest coach in the NHL is a big step backwards for Florida unfortunately.

Reactions: I am not exposed

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
Again, I don't agree with your premise. Not every experienced coach has a highly blemished record.

Quenneville, Laviolette, Trotz, Sutter, Gallant, and Tortorella have all been around forever, and people still want them. Because they've actually earned a fourth and fifth chance. It's unreal how many chances some of these unaccomplished coaches get.
Well, obviously. But we can't get those coaches (although I wouldn't want Torts). :dunno:

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Ill say this about Paul. He managed to lead a team to 114 points a few years ago with the roster below.

In a very tough Central Division

1655921651057.png

1655921593953.png

I think our roster is far and away better than the one he had 🤷‍♂️

And they lost to the lightning in a bottle Vegas in the WCF.

Reactions: floridada and KW

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Maybe, but you definitely don’t need Paul Maurice. But you will see. No success for Florida for sure, as long as he is the coach. Sure, playoffs probably, but I wouldn't be even sure of that. And at least no chance to get even out of the first round if you get to the playoffs. Well, that’s of course what Florida has been used to when they rarely have got to the playoffs. So I guess Paul Maurice gives what is familiar so far. The all time losingest coach in the NHL is a big step backwards for Florida unfortunately.
We'll see.

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
If Maurice doesn't do well here, I'll be curious to see how much is blamed on the coach or the players just aging out...

And I guess the reverse would apply as well if we do end up doing well. How much would be on the coach vs. players stepping up. :scared:

Reactions: I am not exposed

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
Florida will be a 110 point team this season, anyone could do that. Won't know till the playoffs.
well yeah I'm referring to the playoffs. regular season success isn't what we're going for here.

I think this team can be a playoff team even without some of our core pieces, but the real test will be the playoffs. Not sure we have the right mix to do real damage in the playoffs for more than a couple years, and even then I'm not so sure. So I really wish we could get some futures back to extend our playoff window.

Reactions: ucanthanzalthetruth

BeezKnees

Jun 4, 2010
Orlando, FL
you gotta take everything you hear with a grain of salt, unless you're talking to an NHL coach or a very smart NHL player.

media doesn't know shit. public analytics people rarely know shit. fans sure as hell don't know shit. antiquated systems? lol. fans can't reliably distinguish between player's/coach's responsibility.

maurice is, by any measure, a solid NHL coach and a reasonable hire.
Too reasonable, get out of here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad