Confirmed with Link: Paul Maurice signs 3 year deal to be head coach of the Florida Panthers (update 3/3/2023 given vote of confidence by Bill Zito)

Would you have preferred Brunette return over hiring Maurice?

• yes, give him the chance to grow

Votes: 34 33.7%
  • no, Florida doesn't have time to see him through the growing pains

Votes: 67 66.3%

• Total voters

zeroG

Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA
Mailbag: Fleury landing spot, next Red Wings coach

read this when it came out a week and a half ago and thought it was an important aspect of this move that hasn't been talked about enough.

With all due respect to Andrew Brunette, who did a good job as the Panthers coach after Joel Quenneville resigned Oct. 27, Florida will benefit from Maurice's experience of guiding teams from training camp through the regular season, into the playoffs and potentially to the Stanley Cup Final. The Panthers are built to win and Brunette has never coached a team from start to finish in a season the way Maurice has. Brunette certainly has a future and he'll get his next opportunity soon, but for a team with championship aspirations like the Panthers I think it would have been too great a gamble to leave it in the hands of a coach who has never done it before.

Reactions: Vilam and batting1k

scholl

Jun 26, 2019
Helsinki, Finland
Very meh hiring. A very average coach who’s teams hasn’t excelled in anything with absolutely nothing to hang his hat on other than experience.
I don’t like it at all but who knows how it works out
For me the problem is that he has favorite players in the locker room. Last season at least in the regular season the biggest strength of the Panthers team was that it really was a team. If there will be a coach that likes some players and doesn't like others, it becomes HC hollywood pretty quickly.

Ghoste

#JustGetIn
Sponsor
Sep 14, 2005
San Diego, CA
Good interview with PM. He goes over what he thought maybe helped with our undoing. Things like not having a lot of adversity throughout the season, being pretty healthy all year, having quite a lot of comebacks.

-ghoste

Reactions: harv33173

Little Bobby Boo

Jul 30, 2014
For me the problem is that he has favorite players in the locker room. Last season at least in the regular season the biggest strength of the Panthers team was that it really was a team. If there will be a coach that likes some players and doesn't like others, it becomes HC hollywood pretty quickly.
It's really interesting.

In Q's last full season, I felt he was wayyyyyyy to hard on Duclair and benched him way too quickly.

Then Bruno came in, gave Duclair a much longer leash and he scored 30. But then in playoffs, Bruno kept marching Duclair out on the PP and in important situations despite him looking awful out there.

Gallant was awful for having clear favourites as well.

Just weird how there doesn't seem to be good balance from these guys.

Reactions: KW

BabyBennettov

May 2, 2002
Under the Sunshine
Visit site
So are we happy with Myles Fee and Jamie Kompon or what ?

I heard we had to stay away from Charlie Huddy (one of Maurice's favorite assistant) because the guy is HORRIBLE.

But don't really know anything about those names we hired...

Good sign or what ?

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
So are we happy with Myles Fee and Jamie Kompon or what ?

I heard we had to stay away from Charlie Huddy (one of Maurice's favorite assistant) because the guy is HORRIBLE.

But don't really know anything about those names we hired...

Good sign or what ?
Jamie Kompon was with Maurice in Winnipeg for a few years. Maurice loves him. Imo we either trust Maurice's judgement or we don't, so I have no problem if Kompon is one of "his guys". I don't believe all the horror stories out of Winnipeg. Maurice was in Winnipeg for so long that they've forgotten what other coaches look like, and the league has kinda forgotten that Maurice is a good coach. Just because he couldn't take an average Jets team all the way.

I don't know anything about Fee.

Reactions: BabyBennettov

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Jamie Kompon was with Maurice in Winnipeg for a few years. Maurice loves him. Imo we either trust Maurice's judgement or we don't, so I have no problem if Kompon is one of "his guys". I don't believe all the horror stories out of Winnipeg. Maurice was in Winnipeg for so long that they've forgotten what other coaches look like, and the league has kinda forgotten that Maurice is a good coach. Just because he couldn't take an average Jets team all the way.

Kompon looks like he knows defense which I like. Is it confirmed that Ruutu is coming back?

BabyBennettov

May 2, 2002
Under the Sunshine
Visit site

Okay thanks...

For all the talks about how our D is bad...

I think our defensive-corp is as good as what Maurice had to work in Winnipeg during their best days !

Ekblad, Forsling, Montour, Gudas, Carlsson is as good as Byfuglien, Trouba, Enstrom, Myers, Bogosian IMO

Different but as talented.

Can't wait to see what Paul will do with the personel decision.

Reactions: Dread Clawz

IceManCat

#StanleyCupChampions2024🏆
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
Okay thanks...

For all the talks about how our D is bad...

I think our defensive-corp is as good as what Maurice had to work in Winnipeg during their best days !

Ekblad, Forsling, Montour, Gudas, Carlsson is as good as Byfuglien, Trouba, Enstrom, Myers, Bogosian IMO

Different but as talented.

Can't wait to see what Paul will do with the personel decision.

Yeah I really dont get all this talk about a bad defense. The only weakness I see is in the middle pairing not being as good as maybe some other teams. We have a Norris caliber d-man on the first pair and the NHL hits leader on the third pair. In between all that Montour is extremely serviceable as a third pairing d-man. He also has no problem playing in the second pairing, he fits right in. Forsling is an excellent skater who provides offense and speed. I expect him to be Ekblad's partner this coming year. If we can somehow get a steady defender for the middle pairing any issues would be even further mitigated. This talk about a bad defense is way overblown. We will be competing with all the other top teams in the East.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Jets have had locker room issues for years under Maurice.

Don’t like this at all
Jets were run by the captain and his buddies towards the end of Maurice's term. But Florida is fortunate to have Barkov as their captain, so it's likely things do not go out of hand so easily than they went in Manitoba.

Maurice is really lovable person and maybe the best guy on interviews. He is also really experienced. But he is not that competent and tends to be depended on his veteran players way too much. While 17-18 playoffs run was nice, the team was really stacked, goalie was great, and coaching staff did absolutely nothing to react how Vegas countered them with their tactics, which was so sad to watch.

I would not hire him, but fingers crossed he does a good job in Florida.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Jets were run by the captain and his buddies towards the end of Maurice's term. But Florida is fortunate to have Barkov as their captain, so it's likely things do not go out of hand so easily than they went in Manitoba.

Maurice is really lovable person and maybe the best guy on interviews. He is also really experienced. But he is not that competent and tends to be depended on his veteran players way too much. While 17-18 playoffs run was nice, the team was really stacked, goalie was great, and coaching staff did absolutely nothing to react how Vegas countered them with their tactics, which was so sad to watch.

I would not hire him, but fingers crossed he does a good job in Florida.

I mean he was the coach who allowed that to happen.

He’s always been a great interview but what he speaks just never transmits on the ice.

& Florida needed a more defensive minded coach

Reactions: Halberdier

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Just because he couldn't take an average Jets team all the way.
Late 17-18 the Jets was very far from average with Vezina-level goaltending, awesome top-6 & bottom-6 and really good top-4. Vegas countered them with aggressive forecheck and Maurice did zero adjustements to their system and so Jets lost conference finals.

If 17-18 Jets was average, I bet all the teams except maybe Colorado, Tampa Bay & Florida would like to be that average.

Reactions: Ippenator

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Late 17-18 the Jets was very far from average with Vezina-level goaltending, awesome top-6 & bottom-6 and really good top-4. Vegas countered them with aggressive forecheck and Maurice did zero adjustements to their system and so Jets lost conference finals.

If 17-18 Jets was average, I bet all the teams except maybe Colorado, Tampa Bay & Florida would like to be that average.

Thanks for stopping by. These posts are why I just can't get excited about the Maurice hiring at all. I just feel like it is a sideways step.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad