Confirmed with Link: Paul Maurice signs 3 year deal to be head coach of the Florida Panthers (update 3/3/2023 given vote of confidence by Bill Zito)

Would you have preferred Brunette return over hiring Maurice?

• yes, give him the chance to grow

Votes: 34 33.7%
  • no, Florida doesn't have time to see him through the growing pains

Votes: 67 66.3%

• Total voters

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
I mean he was the coach who allowed that to happen.

He’s always been a great interview but what he speaks just never transmits on the ice.

& Florida needed a more defensive minded coach
Indeed, I agree on all points. Just hoping that Alexander Barkov alone might be enough to not allow the similar stuff that did rot the locker room in Winnipeg, alienated some of their prospects etc. And yeah, the responsibility should be on the coach. If as a coach you have one set of rules for one group of players and another set of rules for others, that's not going to end well in the long run.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Thanks for stopping by. These posts are why I just can't get excited about the Maurice hiring at all. I just feel like it is a sideways step.
But to be fair, I rarely see NHL coaches really adjusting the game that much during the playoff series(*), at least not that degree I am used to in ie. Finnish Liiga playoffs. So I am not saying Maurice is particurly bad in that regard. He is just an average NHL coach which his own set of quirks.

*) What the heck is the plural of series? Serieses? Nah.

Edit: thanks for having me 😉 edited the quote as you fixed your post. I was wondering first that how I did stop you 😅. Panthers is my TOP-3 favourite team after the Jets & CBJ.

Last edited:
Reactions: I am not exposed

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Late 17-18 the Jets was very far from average with Vezina-level goaltending, awesome top-6 & bottom-6 and really good top-4. Vegas countered them with aggressive forecheck and Maurice did zero adjustements to their system and so Jets lost conference finals.

If 17-18 Jets was average, I bet all the teams except maybe Colorado, Tampa Bay & Florida would like to be that average.
I'm not talking about 17-18. I'm talking about afterwards when they lost half their blueline and Little was done.

Reactions: Halberdier

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Indeed, I agree on all points. Just hoping that Alexander Barkov alone might be enough to not allow the similar stuff that did rot the locker room in Winnipeg, alienated some of their prospects etc. And yeah, the responsibility should be on the coach. If as a coach you have one set of rules for one group of players and another set of rules for others, that's not going to end well in the long run.
Well yeah, that's just it. Barkov is not Blake Wheeler and Mark Scheifele. The Jets just have a poisonous mix of players. Some bad, lazy personalities(and this after they traded Laine), and doesn't seem like a tight group at all. At some point Chevy has to take some of the blame. All he's done for a decade is sit there and watch it fester. He makes no major trades, no shakeups.

Florida has a really tight room and they love practicing and playing together. They like to have fun but at the end of the day they like to work. Totally different.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
I'm not talking about 17-18. I'm talking about afterwards when they lost half their blueline and Little was done.
For sure they got worse. Yet not that bad as the results show and I think Maurice has to take some of the blame for that.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
For sure they got worse. Yet not that bad as the results show and I think Maurice has to take some of the blame for that.
No they're not very good. The D is mediocre. The F have some scoring punch but little depth. Hellebuyck can't bail his team out every night like he used to. I wouldn't be surprised if they do even worse next season. Some of the bottom feeding West teams got better.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Late 17-18 the Jets was very far from average with Vezina-level goaltending, awesome top-6 & bottom-6 and really good top-4. Vegas countered them with aggressive forecheck and Maurice did zero adjustements to their system and so Jets lost conference finals.

If 17-18 Jets was average, I bet all the teams except maybe Colorado, Tampa Bay & Florida would like to be that average.

Jets were seen as one of the teams with the brightest future when they drafted Laine.

They had Scheifele, Wheeler, Laine, Connor, Ehlers at F, Trouba, Buff, Myers, Morrissey on defense, Helle in net

They were absolutely loaded at the time

Maurice coaches too much like the team we saw in the playoffs, open hockey, not sure where it was now but in the past their pp was among the worst in the league

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Jets were seen as one of the teams with the brightest future when they drafted Laine.

They had Scheifele, Wheeler, Laine, Connor, Ehlers at F, Trouba, Buff, Myers, Morrissey on defense, Helle in net

They were absolutely loaded at the time

Maurice coaches too much like the team we saw in the playoffs, open hockey, not sure where it was now but in the past their pp was among the worst in the league
The Buff affairs changed things for them.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
The Buff affairs changed things for them.

Sure, but they never played for their potential.

& lot of the Buff things has been put on the management and how they handled his injuries.

I don’t care that much about the regular season but question how Maurice is the right coach to get them to the next level in the playoffs.
What he did in the past doesn’t exactly install faith

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Sure, but they never played for their potential.

& lot of the Buff things has been put on the management and how they handled his injuries.

I don’t care that much about the regular season but question how Maurice is the right coach to get them to the next level in the playoffs.
What he did in the past doesn’t exactly install faith
Yeah quite possibly. My recipe is the same every season. Hope for the best, keep hope alive, etc etc, and when they lose, root for someone I don’t totally hate. So for now, I’ll go into the season hoping/expecting to go further than this last episode.

BabyBennettov

May 2, 2002
Under the Sunshine
Visit site

Always loved Lefebvre as a player, great defenseman and leader…

Kompon has won Cups on a Darryl Sutter staff AND a Joel Quenneville staff, so I really trust the guy.

Fee may be an up-and-coming coach, I don’t know…

Can’t say I’m the biggest fan of Maurice, but I’m okay with that staff, let’s see what they produce.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
Always loved Lefebvre as a player, great defenseman and leader…

Kompon has won Cups on a Darryl Sutter staff AND a Joel Quenneville staff, so I really trust the guy.

Fee may be an up-and-coming coach, I don’t know…

Can’t say I’m the biggest fan of Maurice, but I’m okay with that staff, let’s see what they produce.

I just want some creativity and new scheme on the PP, and to break up Ekblad and Wee….oh wait.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Is he a good coach? That’s my first question.

The rest of the social shit is way down the line for me.
I dont care how people feel about the Vax. That's a different topic.

It's semi significant cause wouldnt he be blocked from traveling to Canada? Down the line if things dont change and we play Toronto in the playoffs.....So we coming in at less than full strength?

BabyBennettov

May 2, 2002
Under the Sunshine
Visit site

It's semi significant cause wouldnt he be blocked from traveling to Canada? Down the line if things dont change and we play Toronto in the playoffs.....So we coming in at less than full strength?

That was my only concern too…

We were one of the first teams who was 100% shot… And we add someone to the leadership group that may miss the team…

It’s dumb.

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013

Maybe he’s gotten the vaccine since then? It’s been almost a year since he was let go?

Reactions: harv33173

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
What exactly is Maurice's coaching style? Is he a run and gun coach or more defensive minded ?
Hard to say. The Jets teams had a LOT of talent there for a while. It's hard to separate their talent from his coaching style. Except recently, they were a VERY big, tough, physical team with a lot of scoring talent, that tended to lose composure under pressure. Their bit players also were noticeable contributors.

Your team last year actually reminded me of the Jets when they were really good. I thought you guys were the toughest team we played against all year up and down the lineup.

In general, I don't think that Maurice was a great hire, judging by his record up in WPG. Not a bad hire, either... I am lukewarm on him.

Reactions: IceManCat

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
What exactly is Maurice's coaching style? Is he a run and gun coach or more defensive minded ?
As a fan from Winnipeg, I find this hire incredibly perplexing for Florida. Maurice is the furthest thing from a defensive minded coach which I see as the biggest need for your team.

Couple observations:

- he’s a stubborn, stubborn coach. He will keep going back to things that simply don’t work despite having numerous different options.
- he will sparsely play the young players and will choose to play plugs over young guys who have a future with the club despite the floors/ceilings being much higher.
- your fourth line will play 5 mins a game and he will drive your top 6 into the ground from over-usage
- Bob will needlessly play b2b games despite having a capable backup even if he struggles

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad