Confirmed with Link: Paul Maurice signs 3 year deal to be head coach of the Florida Panthers (update 3/3/2023 given vote of confidence by Bill Zito)

Would you have preferred Brunette return over hiring Maurice?

• yes, give him the chance to grow

Votes: 34 33.7%
  • no, Florida doesn't have time to see him through the growing pains

Votes: 67 66.3%

• Total voters

StrangeVision

Wear a mask.
Apr 1, 2007
Bottom line: I trust the data Zito has when making his decisions WAY WAY WAY more than the data you or the other warriors have. The entertainment value is another question altogether though.

"Warriors?" :laugh:

See this is exact kind of bullshit I'm talking about. You can't criticize Zito without being labeled something. I'm not a fan with an opinion, I'm a "warrior." :biglaugh:

Well, I'd rather be a "warrior" than a Zito worshipper. He will continue to get praise when he does well and he will continue to get criticism when he does poorly. Deal with it.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
"Warriors?" :laugh:

See this is exact kind of bullshit I'm talking about. You can't criticize Zito without being labeled something. I'm not a fan with an opinion, I'm a "warrior." :biglaugh:

Well, I'd rather be a "warrior" than a Zito worshipper. He will continue to get praise when he does well and he will continue to get criticism when he does poorly. Deal with it.

KW always has a burr in the saddle, always looking for a gun fight (debate)

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
We’ll have to wait and see how he does. Which lines he picks, if said lines aren’t working how long before he switches them up, player usage, in-game decisions, etc. let’s see what happens before we start criticizing. Hasn’t even been day-1 on the job, so to say. If he’s clearly not doing well, he’s not exempt from any criticism, including zito. But for now Maurice has got my trust until he no longer does. We got on Q’s case plenty of times too. It’s not like he was perfect or anything

Reactions: I am not exposed

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreChamps
Jul 13, 2013
He's a thoroughly middle of the road coach. His quotes are elite but he's been meh his whole career. There were not many coaching candidates this offseason (Cassidy was instantly Vegas bound) so it's fine. This also isn't an all in year for Florida so if he really sucks, no harm done. I do have to laugh at the Jets fans who think he's the cause of their problems though lol, they should know very well there are worse coaches out there, they had one in Claude Noel, and if they forgot, they're going to be reminded with Bowness.

Reactions: letsgrowcactus

zeroG

Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA
He's a thoroughly middle of the road coach. His quotes are elite but he's been meh his whole career. There were not many coaching candidates this offseason (Cassidy was instantly Vegas bound) so it's fine. This also isn't an all in year for Florida so if he really sucks, no harm done. I do have to laugh at the Jets fans who think he's the cause of their problems though lol, they should know very well there are worse coaches out there, they had one in Claude Noel, and if they forgot, they're going to be reminded with Bowness.

a coach is only as good as his roster. he's never coached a roster with this much talent. of course, it's not a perfect group but it's very good. let's see how he does.

there were plenty of choices btw and zito and lou decided maurice was their guy. i wish we had some beat writers that could follow up on this and glean what, specifically, it was about maurice that drew them to him.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
what, specifically, it was about maurice that drew them to him.

That would mean that either Zito or PM would divulge the info on what kind of questions Zito asked PM and what were his answers... and neither one is going to do to that because that counts as confidential info. We just have to settle with reading between the lines.

PM is probably a good coach when it comes down to strategic stuff of the game but I don't think he's also a very good motivational speaker like Q was. I don't many thinks how crucial Byfuglien was in the Jets' success when he lost heart for the game and eventually left the org, and PM couldn't overcome that loss with his coaching. Therefore, this team needs players who are already highly motivated players (instead of just playing for next raise in salary) and Zito is willing to overpay for such players, like Tkachuk.

Even though Q wasn't a perfect coach, like with choices of his assistant coaches, but he was a natural talent with what to say to the players and when to say it. Whereas PM needs to take his time to compile his answers and he may come across "too smart" with convoluted messages to the players.

zeroG

Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA
That would mean that either Zito or PM would divulge the info on what kind of questions Zito asked PM and what were his answers... and neither one is going to do to that because that counts as confidential info. We just have to settle with reading between the lines.

based on PM's words in one of the first interviews after his hiring, zito and lou seemingly had their mind made up when they called. they convinced him to take the job.

i'm not interested in the details of the interview, i just want to know why Z and lou had made their mind up. i'm sure Z has spoken about PM in general terms but, as far as i know, he hasn't given any details about why he and lou had made up their PM was *the* guy and they needed to convince him to take the job.

PM is probably a good coach when it comes down to strategic stuff of the game but I don't think he's also a very good motivational speaker like Q was. I don't many thinks how crucial Byfuglien was in the Jets' success when he lost heart for the game and eventually left the org, and PM couldn't overcome that loss with his coaching. Therefore, this team needs players who are already highly motivated players (instead of just playing for next raise in salary) and Zito is willing to overpay for such players, like Tkachuk.

Even though Q wasn't a perfect coach, like with choices of his assistant coaches, but he was a natural talent with what to say to the players and when to say it. Whereas PM needs to take his time to compile his answers and he may come across "too smart" with convoluted messages to the players.

i think we should just say that if you're a coach that gets hired in the NHL, you're a good coach. lol.

not every coach is going to work out in every situation but that doesn't mean they're bad. there are almost always multiple factors in an outcome (good or bad) and the largest is, again, almost always roster makeup.

PM's walking into a pretty good situation here. i'm pretty confident he's not going to be the thing holding this group back. ultimately, though, the players will be the ones who have to do the job on the ice.

Ghoste

#JustGetIn
Sponsor
Sep 14, 2005
San Diego, CA
based on PM's words in one of the first interviews after his hiring, zito and lou seemingly had their mind made up when they called. they convinced him to take the job.

i'm not interested in the details of the interview, i just want to know why Z and lou had made their mind up. i'm sure Z has spoken about PM in general terms but, as far as i know, he hasn't given any details about why he and lou had made up their PM was *the* guy and they needed to convince him to take the job.

i think we should just say that if you're a coach that gets hired in the NHL, you're a good coach. lol.

not every coach is going to work out in every situation but that doesn't mean they're bad. there are almost always multiple factors in an outcome (good or bad) and the largest is, again, almost always roster makeup.

PM's walking into a pretty good situation here. i'm pretty confident he's not going to be the thing holding this group back. ultimately, though, the players will be the ones who have to do the job on the ice.
I might have missed the interview where he said Zito and Lu had their mind made up and they had to convince him to take it. I do remember PM saying that on the zoom call with Z and Lu that they were looking for specific answers and that PM wasn’t just giving them answers that he thought that they wanted to hear. I think he was basically saying that he was giving them his honest thoughts.

-ghoste

Reactions: JP Mick

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014

Zito wasn't convinced about PM prior to the interview process and PM didn't need extra convincing as far as the news articles depicted the hiring process.

I think he'll do a good job for the Panthers but I don't expect him to be a miracle worker like Q was in some aspect. One issue might be that he wants to play like a big team along the boards, especially in the d-zone, but I'm not sure if he has the personnel to execute that strategy properly.

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
When the fallout from the Chicago coverup swept Q out of the league, there were questions as to whether Maurice would also face punishment, as he was a part of Q’s coaching staff that year. It’s probably irrelevant, but I wonder if ties to Q had any influence on the hiring. I wonder if Z may still talk with Q once in a while

ScottyMascotty

Dec 24, 2017
St. Petersburg
When the fallout from the Chicago coverup swept Q out of the league, there were questions as to whether Maurice would also face punishment, as he was a part of Q’s coaching staff that year. It’s probably irrelevant, but I wonder if ties to Q had any influence on the hiring. I wonder if Z may still talk with Q once in a while
Wasnt' he been a Canes head coach that year?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad