Player Discussion: Patrik Laine IVever: a new hope? (Laine out of PAP, trade request still stands)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com please DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
I don't think anyone actualy went so far as to say he was definitely good at it; just that he looked promising and that it could work and there was a lot of cautious optimism.

I do miss those days, though. Those were nice days.

What did we have, 4 games before he got injured?

We didn't get any answers to how he'd do as C really. But I hope he plays wing.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Remember when people were saying Laine was good at C after 1 game.

Remember when he had a recent concussion and was handling the puck like a grenade? His struggles obviously were much bigger than anything positional. I'd say they had absolutely nothing to do with it.

I don't think anyone actualy went so far as to say he was definitely good at it; just that he looked promising and that it could work and there was a lot of cautious optimism.

He looked promising, and it still might be a thing that works if he is healthy. But more theoretically, I don't think anyone will put him there again.

Personally I think his overhandling needs to be fixed and center doesn't help with that. But if he fixes that he has some advantages at center in that he can cover a ton of ice and backchecks well, and he won't have to do as much stop and start skating like a winger.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia

Still maintains he wants a trade, nothing close.
I'm sorry, but people who have had or have mental health issues think very differently. And I'm not sure Patrik is entirely right. Doctors aren't omnipotent either, they may not detect something. Only Patrik knows what the real state of affairs is. And maybe he doesn't know either.

Reactions: ThirdPeriodTurtle

Vapaatunnus

Feb 2, 2021
It's important because CBJ PP is and has been awful. Laine is an excellent PP player, the most effective shooter in the game from distance. Jarmo pointed it out when getting him, one of the best PP players in the league. And he was that in Winnipeg, he could have done the same in CBJ but unfortunately they decided to let Werenski run the PP (this is not for the best of the team, this is for Werenskis benefit) and it works at a much lower percentage as it should with Laine in the roster.

It has not worked in Cbus, not because Laine can't do the same job as he did in Jets, but because the PP revolves around a lesser shooter who can't distribute the puck to his left without projecting it to the world. They have tried to solve this issue by moving Laine around, putting him on RD position in PP completely nullifying a onetimer option. That's not proper problem solving in my opinion.

The expectation is that if the PP ran properly and was geared towards getting shots from Laine, the percentage would be much higher than it is with currently failing combinations.

Why is it important to have a 25% PP rather than a 17% PP you ask? Eh?

Traditionally the dilemma of "how should we use our best player" is by playing them the most minutes and situations where they can help the team the most. I can't think of any examples where teams stick their best player in 4th line just so it doesn't benefit that player. Because the team suffers as well.

If you're trying to tank his value then 4th line sounds right. But why would they be trying to tank his value when trying to get something back for him? They should highlight him to get the best possible return
I agree, PP was working somehow when Werenski was injured and Jones was at blue line.

Reactions: Marioesque

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
Better with Boqvist too. Any RHD really.

Perfect examples in this clip with Jones. This works a lot better than whatever it is that Z does, or when Johnny runs it from the left.

I don't think it was better. After this game the PP was at 13 percent. It would finish the year at 15 percent, the worst of the 3 seasons in which Laine played in over 65 percent of the total games. The weak PP has a lot more problems than just Werenski or Laine.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
In the piece, Waddell says he hasn't spoken to Laine. Bizarre?
Not Laine relatd but I'm more concerned about this quote

"But a hundred percent of the guys that I talk to excluding a couple of Russians that I haven’t been able to talk to, everybody’s on board. They want to be a part of the solution.”

As long as he's been on the job these guys aren't taking phone calls from him?

Fred Glover

Chief of Sinners
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2007
Ohio
Not Laine relatd but I'm more concerned about this quote

"But a hundred percent of the guys that I talk to excluding a couple of Russians that I haven’t been able to talk to, everybody’s on board. They want to be a part of the solution.”

As long as he's been on the job these guys aren't taking phone calls from him?
They speak Russian, Waddell English
I get why they haven’t spoken
Voronkov is probably in Russia
He has spoken to Marchy, Tarasov probably as well seeing as he is in town
No big deal

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
In the piece, Waddell says he hasn't spoken to Laine. Bizarre?
For sure. You could argue there's nothing to talk about when both equally want to move on, but if I was the gm, I'd at least want to have a one to one talk to hear first hand what went wrong. Pretty important to figure out whether you can do anything to avoid such situations in the future.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Obviously, I don't know Patrik, I wasn't here last year. He went into the program 28 games into the year, and he's been very vocal about it, way before I got here, that he does not want to play for the Blue Jackets. There was a lot of things that went on in the locker room and he just doesn't want it."

Waddell goes on to say, " This is different because it's harder to bring him back knowing the situation. But saying that, that might be the option. We're into the summer, he's got a high cap hit for two years. I'm talking to teams every day, I've got two or three teams engaged right now, we'll see where it goes. At the end of the day, like I told Andy Scott, his representation, I can try to do it, but if there's not a deal to be made, he's going to have to come back here to camp and we'll welcome him back and try to make the best out of the situation

Waddell was also asked if he thought Patrik Laine would show up for camp. "I can't answer for him whether he shows up or not. Obviously, he makes $8.7 cap, $9.1 cash, so eventually I think he might because that's a lot of money. As far as if he's still a Blue Jacket come training camp, it's our responsibility to try to put him in the best environment. Because a couple of things, one is maybe this trade doesn't happen now, but it can happen at Christmas time. You know he gets back to where he can be as a goal-scorer, all that. Someone might say "Hey you know what, that's a good value, let's go make a deal for him." So there's still a lot that can play out as we sit here today

if you remember back , Porty called the locker room a 4th grade classroom.. no veterans other than Boone allowed to have a voice .. first I’ve seen WHY PL wants traded .

Last edited:
Reactions: MAHJ71

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Obviously, I don't know Patrik, I wasn't here last year. He went into the program 28 games into the year, and he's been very vocal about it, way before I got here, that he does not want to play for the Blue Jackets. There was a lot of things that went on in the locker room and he just doesn't want it."

Waddell goes on to say, " This is different because it's harder to bring him back knowing the situation. But saying that, that might be the option. We're into the summer, he's got a high cap hit for two years. I'm talking to teams every day, I've got two or three teams engaged right now, we'll see where it goes. At the end of the day, like I told Andy Scott, his representation, I can try to do it, but if there's not a deal to be made, he's going to have to come back here to camp and we'll welcome him back and try to make the best out of the situation

Waddell was also asked if he thought Patrik Laine would show up for camp. "I can't answer for him whether he shows up or not. Obviously, he makes $8.7 cap, $9.1 cash, so eventually I think he might because that's a lot of money. As far as if he's still a Blue Jacket come training camp, it's our responsibility to try to put him in the best environment. Because a couple of things, one is maybe this trade doesn't happen now, but it can happen at Christmas time. You know he gets back to where he can be as a goal-scorer, all that. Someone might say "Hey you know what, that's a good value, let's go make a deal for him." So there's still a lot that can play out as we sit here today

if you remember back , Porty called the locker room a 4th grade classroom.. no veterans other than Boone allowed to have a voice .. first I’ve seen WHY PL wants traded .
When Werenski said he hoped Patrick would come back I thought he was referring to his health. I guess not... 👎🏻

ding ding ding!
Every knows it. Nothing new.

Last edited:

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
Seems like his issue with a specific teammate and not just the coach and Jarmo. I'm guessing a player has backward thinking about mental health and he realizes the toxic environment that creates and wants to get away from that, I don't blame him.

Last edited by a moderator:

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Seems like his issue with a specific teammate and not just the coach and Jarmo. I'm guessing a player has backward thinking about mental health and he realizes the toxic environment that creates and wants to get away from that, I don't blame him.
Look higher, @KJ Dangler wrote interesting detail. Also we do not know real issues.

Last edited by a moderator:

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005

I feel like we've reached a point in this organization that hopefully those involved are already gone from the organization. With that being said, it takes two sides to handle a conflict and one side apparently is choosing to take his ball and go home even if the other side has already been addressed.

Was it Larsen? - Gone
Was it PV? - Gone
Was it Jarmo? - Gone
Was it JD? - Essentially gone

I'm sort of finding it hard to believe that anyone who would cause such a conflict is still here if he wants to paint certain people in the organization as the bad guy. If it was a specific player or person who was clearly in their wrong, their salary would clearly much easier to move than Laine. If those people are truly gone then Laine should be open to getting s fresh start in the CBJ organization. If he's not open to that and he refuses to report if a suitable trade cannot be found, then that's something he'll have to live with and decide if he wants paid or not. We've got a new GM and a new HC who should hold some accountability.

As they say, there are 3 sides to every story. Yours, Mine, and the Truth.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
If it is a player and not management that is Laine’s beef and that player remains in the org and that’s why Laine wants out, it’s likely either an HR situation or a scenario where no one is saying specifically. In either case we’re not likely to know.

Maybe I’m naive or expect too much from adults, but it seems more likely the issue is whatever broader issues/culture existed in the locker room that is Laine’s hassle, and despite some organizational house cleaning the players still believes a move is required to fully address his mental health issues.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
A lot of speculation from you.

Could you also speculate that problems with the locker room in Winnipeg and problems with the locker room in Cbus have a common denominator? Not saying that’s the case but…

Reactions: MAHJ71 and thebus88
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad