Player Discussion: Patrik Laine IVever: a new hope? (Laine out of PAP, trade request still stands)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
I don't think this loose talk from Waddell helps. You've still got to sell the player. Maybe I'm wrong and he's got some 4D chess going on. Maybe the clubs he's talking to already know a lot more dirty laundry than we do.
I'm sure the interested teams would anyways ask about his reasons for making a trade request. If the explanation Laine gives is reasonable, then it has no effect on his value.

Reactions: VT

CannonFire1

Jun 22, 2023
I agree with majormajor that this level of candor from the front office is usually not the best approach. DW is also an experienced hand so I expect he knows exactly what he is saying and has his reasons.

As much as anything, it feels like he's trying to manage expectations for the timeline. He specifically mentioned Christmas as a possibility. Of course TDL would be another. Seems like he is prepping Laine, his agent, and the rest of the team for the fact they may be together awhile.

It probably doesn't help if the agent is constantly calling saying "I know team X made you an offer...let's get this done!" DW is saying very clearly he's not going to make a bad trade (especially with retention) just because PL wants a change of scenery.

ThisIsMyAlibi

Fantilli&Werenski&Gaudreau&Laine&Johnson&Jiricek
Mar 16, 2010
Ohio
I cannot believe this guy is still on the team.

Oh wait, we’re the blue jackets. Of course he is.

Cujorulesdtown9

More Blue Pants
Sep 9, 2007
Michigan
Best case scenario he does what he says he wont do and plays with the cbj, untill he can get traded and we can get a half decent deal.

Worst case he sits out and refuses to play till hes dealt, and we end up getting peanuts.
While I wouldnt think he would go that route, if he has made it clear he doesnt want to play here, you cant rule it out.

Fun stuff...

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Used to be a day when the locker room took care of its own problems...
Without knowing specific details. Lots of issues could just be taken care of via communication and the lack there of between impacted parties just makes it worse and it escalates.

All we know is Laine was close to returning from the lineup on a road trip and then "Bam!" he went into the program and has been unable (due to the restrictions of the program) or unwilling to communicate directly with the team. It sounds like other than 1 brief conversation Evason had with him everything has been filtered through his agent.

Best case scenario he does what he says he wont do and plays with the cbj, untill he can get traded and we can get a half decent deal.

Worst case he sits out and refuses to play till hes dealt, and we end up getting peanuts.
While I wouldnt think he would go that route, if he has made it clear he doesnt want to play here, you cant rule it out.

Fun stuff...
He sits out and refuses to play, he doesn't get paid. It might eat cap space but it save the organization money until he is moved and there is zero chance he walks away from around 17 million. Not sure how signing bonuses are impacted.

JacketFanInFL

Brick by Brick
Mar 27, 2006
Central FL
It's not surprising this team has no leadership in the locker room. Let's take a look back at all of our captains:

Jenner - Team is a disaster
Foligno - Positive results
<3 year gap of no captain>
Nash - Requested a Trade out of town when the going got tough.
Foote - Do I even need to say anything, here?
Richardson - Meh
Whitney - Meh
Odelein - Meh

I would say that Foligno is really the only example of a leader we've had at that position. Need to go back to the days of no captain and let the next one earn it.

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
It's not surprising this team has no leadership in the locker room. Let's take a look back at all of our captains:

Richardson - Meh
Whitney - Meh
Odelein - Meh

I would say that Foligno is really the only example of a leader we've had at that position. Need to go back to the days of no captain and let the next one earn it.
You’re implying Boone Jenner didn’t earn it? How?

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada

Richardson - Meh
Whitney - Meh
Odelein - Meh

This is a bunch of garbage honestly.

When the going got tough? When was it good for Nash? When did they surround him with anything but 2nd liners and lower?

Foligno had a whole group of veterans around him and a veteran high expectation coach that worked well. Was also the best combo of talent/leadership we've had. A multiple time Vezina winner didnt hurt either

You could have put Messier as captain and had Bowman as a coach and this team would have still not been good. Not embarrassing level bad like these last few years but not good.

You are equating team success to a good captain. If the team gets better this year is it simply because Boone figured out how to be a better leader?

Last edited:

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
To go in reverse, What did he do to earn it and what has gone wrong since?

Not saying it's his fault but leadership void across the entire organization is obvious for unknown reasons.
He stepped up quite massively when he was forced to become the 1C, and all in all he has been the most stable and reliable player in the team during the rebuild.

It's obviously possible he doesn't have strong enough presence off the ice for a team this young and divided, but we'll never know whether that's true or not, so I'm of the opinion that he was and still is the best option this team has.

Reactions: CannonFire1

joybang

Apr 5, 2021
Waddell being so candid leads me to speculate (obv all we can do here) Laine has given them reason to believe he won’t report. And this is Waddell’s way of essentially saying you’re not tradeable right now, so you’re welcome to work yourself into into some value until we find a deal that suits everyone.

Maybe that’s already the case and Laine plans on playing for the jackets until a deal is reached? In that scenario I don’t see why Waddell would make the comments he did.

Reactions: MAHJ71

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
He stepped up quite massively when he was forced to become the 1C, and all in all he has been the most stable and reliable player in the team during the rebuild.

It's obviously possible he doesn't have strong enough presence off the ice for a team this young and divided, but we'll never know whether that's true or not, so I'm of the opinion that he was and still is the best option this team has.
The first paragraph is all great but not necessarily leadershp skills.

The bolded is the truth. That is more of an indictment of the organization Jarmo put together after he purged all of the leaders. He might be the best option we had but that also doesn't mean it is good enough to do the job. Obviously he needs or needed help and anyone who tried to do it was given a slap on the wrist and told to know their role and to shut the hell up like Gudbranson when he commented the team practiced terribly.

Also what we don't know is what role Laine played in the leadership void/struggles as well. He never really seemed like a leadership kind of guy.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
Also what we don't know is what role Laine played in the leadership void/struggles as well. He never really seemed like a leadership kind of guy.
Yeah he hasn't really been a leader through his career. It looked like he tried to step up last summer, but it can't really work out when he didn't even carry his own weight on the ice after the injury

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009

Literally everyone who has played here or plays here talks about how important Boone is to the team and in the room. Foligno spoke glowingly about him when Boone was named the captain. He didn’t have to, as he was in Boston, but he wanted to.

That’s not even including on ice stuff.

Idk man. Sounds pretty captain like.

Ryan getzlaf must have been a shit captain in those final few Anaheim years

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Literally everyone who has played here or plays here talks about how important Boone is to the team and in the room. Foligno spoke glowingly about him when Boone was named the captain. He didn’t have to, as he was in Boston, but he wanted to.

That’s not even including on ice stuff.

Idk man. Sounds pretty captain like.

Ryan getzlaf must have been a shit captain in those final few Anaheim years
Every captain needs help, see successful teams. If the management blocked it, it's no big deal.

domi28

Dec 5, 2017
Just out of curiosity, could Laine re-renter the player assistance program using it as a loophole if he's hellbent on not playing here but doesn't want to give up $9m+ in real money? I don't think he would do this but a week ago I thought he was just looking for a change in scenery, not he wants no part of playing in Columbus.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Also, he wrote that: ... no veterans other than Boone allowed to have a voice ....

What does that have to do with what you wrote?

Unless someone says something, we will never know what really happened.

What Porty talked about was "kid gloves" having to be on. That sounds to me like the veterans are told not to push the young players too hard. And it could be Laine too, if the veterans are told to back off Laine because the perception is that Laine can't handle accountability in the mental state he was in.

When Danforth was talking to Bob McElligott recently, he mentioned that Boone had to hold him (Danforth) accountable a couple times last year. So we know Boone is candidly doing that part of his job. For all we know he tried with Laine and it backfired.

As much as anything, it feels like he's trying to manage expectations for the timeline. He specifically mentioned Christmas as a possibility. Of course TDL would be another. Seems like he is prepping Laine, his agent, and the rest of the team for the fact they may be together awhile.

It could also be that he's prepping the fanbase and possibly ownership that we're going to have to eat a lot of money and have a pretty bad trade.

Having a trade where we eat half the salary and just give him away is likely better than keeping him on the team.

Richardson - Meh
Whitney - Meh
Odelein - Meh

The difference there is that Foligno had a dozen leaders with him who could push the team on and off the ice. Boone nearly stands alone.

You're blaming the wrong guy.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
What Porty talked about was "kid gloves" having to be on. That sounds to me like the veterans are told not to push the young players too hard. And it could be Laine too, if the veterans are told to back off Laine because the perception is that Laine can't handle accountability in the mental state he was in.

When Danforth was talking to Bob McElligott recently, he mentioned that Boone had to hold him (Danforth) accountable a couple times last year. So we know Boone is candidly doing that part of his job. For all we know he tried with Laine and it backfired.
Where is it written (mean Laine)? Only question because I never read it. Also players are not idiots understand anyone is not right.
Btw if it is right I hope in this case Boone tried Johnny and Severson too.

Btw Danforth? I am enough shocked. 🙂

Last edited:

DankoCBJ

Feb 19, 2022
I think DW is angling for a contract termination.
On the other hand, Waddell said that he could have already traded Laine with 50% retention, but that is not what Don wants to do. That would still be better than contract termination?

jonu

Dec 11, 2014
Moon
Reading the Championat columnist hit piece on Laine made me instantly think the issue is with Russian player(s?) in the locker room.

Youngguns1380

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2011
Reading the Championat columnist hit piece on Laine made me instantly think the issue is with Russian player(s?) in the locker room.

Are you talking about this column?

Ok, so what does this article say?

Youngguns1380

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
Ok, so what does this article say?
This is the headline and 2 paragraphs from Championat.com, but it sums it up. The beginning of the article talks about his background.

Laine Doesn't Want to Play for Columbus: The "Finnish Ovechkin" Has Lost Touch with Reality.

For Columbus, the situation is clear - the club needs to get rid of a toxic asset while suffering as little damage as possible. From the words of the general manager, one can conclude that there is no talk of buying out the contract yet. Therefore, the Blue Jackets will be happy if they can exchange the forward in any way. Even for next to nothing or withholding part of the salary. Judging by the mutual comments of the parties, the union will no longer exist.

From Laine's side, it's much more interesting. Why exactly the forward doesn't want to play for Columbus, we don't know. Maybe something really happened in the locker room last season. But does he have the leverage to set conditions like that? A player making $8.7 million, who scored nine points last season, missed three-quarters of the season due to injury and the aid program, and has a reputation as one of the most toxic players in the league? In my opinion, Patrick has lost touch with reality, still imagining himself a star. This has long been the case. Given all that has been said, Laine needs to do more to attract potential buyers if he wants to leave Columbus so much. Namely, put his whims aside and start proving it with his play in the upcoming season.

Reactions: jonu
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad