Player Discussion: Patrik Laine IVever: a new hope? (Laine out of PAP, trade request still stands)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
See. His problems with Scheifele and Wheeler have been known for a long time. For us, nobody wrote that he had problems with anyone either, quite the opposite. But a lot has been written about the problems in the locker room during Larsen's last season. And that it was partially cleaned up during Vincent's tenure. But not completely.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Sponsor
Jul 13, 2022
Finland
Yeah not a fan of how Waddell worded this. It kinda seems he wants to stir things up or exaggerate for nobody's benefit. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for now but can't see how this helps anybody.

That said, very very interesting re: the locker room. Bus has been right the whole time? :D

We're gonna spend the whole offseason speculating this now. Just trade him already.

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
D-Wad sounds like a guy who wants to be done with the player but not so bad to accept the offers he’s getting and is not sure what his next play should be. He might be a little exasperated both with the player and at a culture he has nothing to do with but believe was unfortunate.

He's coming in and has to make his mark. It's a tough situation having to give Laine up for pennies, for reasons he wasn't even here for.

If Laine has s healthy season somewhere, he'll explode in points and then D-Wad will be remembered as the guy who traded a rocket Richard winner for a 2nd round pick and paid half his salary.

That can't be appealing to him

Yeah not a fan of how Waddell worded this. It kinda seems he wants to stir things up or exaggerate for nobody's benefit. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for now but can't see how this helps anybody.

That said, very very interesting re: the locker room. Bus has been right the whole time? :D

We're gonna spend the whole offseason speculating this now. Just trade him already.

Yup

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

LJ7

#80 #13
Mar 19, 2021
Ohio
Losing is never fun. I'm sure the locker room is very clique-y and divided. The Babcock -> Vincent ordeal alone probably made the entire season even worse than meets the eye internally. That was a huge stress test that even teams with good, veteran, established locker rooms would struggle with - let alone that version of the Jackets. The team blowing 3rd period leads very well could have been partially a symptom of the disarray in the locker room, and a factor that worsened the disarray.

Weighing all of that makes me greatly appreciate those willing to stay and attempt to be part of the solution here. Adam Fantilli, Kent Johnson, and the Russians all come to mind. They all were not dealt the best hand with the conditions of which they entered the league, but all of them seem to have a positive outlook paired with a willingness to work towards individual and therefore team success. Denton Mateychuk also passes the "spirit test" to me and seems to be a guy who could actively better team cohesion and collective will.

Laine is older and cannot take any season for granted with his health struggles. I understand him having less patience for the light at the end of the tunnel on ice and in the locker room. Young RFAs have to make life fun here, Laine can go and find a fun professional hockey life elsewhere.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
See. His problems with Scheifele and Wheeler have been known for a long time. For us, nobody wrote that he had problems with anyone either, quite the opposite. But a lot has been written about the problems in the locker room during Larsen's last season. And that it was partially cleaned up during Vincent's tenure. But not completely.
We don't know that. Waddell said he chose to move on from PV because of things that went on last season and he didn't feel he could move forward. Maybe it got worse.

Reactions: VT and KJ Dangler

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
You don't have to air the dirty laundry of why he wants a trade w/r/t possible locker room issues.
Why ? Portzline said the locker room was like a 4th grade class room, and that’s quoted from one if his podcast . He also said Veterans other than Boone weren’t allowed to have a voice in the room . If anything , he’s taking some of the pressure off of Laine , who most likely is here this coming season .

Reactions: Marioesque and LJ7

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
I did find it odd at the time that nobody really talked about Laine after he left aside from Gaudreau (and I think maybe Jenner?). Gaudreau stepped in for Laine’s charity contribution and said that the team loved him but other than that there wasn’t much talk.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan

What if he’s not thinking about Laine, and finally thinking about the rest of the team, and giving THEM a nod, that he fully understands the issue and the importance of removing the cancer from the room.

It seems to me at this point, that everything we are getting is all a sell job from Waddell. It’s just a TOUGH sell. He literally said if he retains 50% that there would be a trade. I think that’s what we will see. Maybe along with an aging/overpaid player that can still help the team in some way.

“There’s some things… wrong”- I believe were Gudbranson’s literal words, while hinting towards deep issues. To think that a player would talk in the way he did about the way a coach runs his drills in practice is what should have been seen as ridiculous.

To be chastised for think Laine, or yes Merzlikins, are 2 of the “problem players” in the locker room should seem ridiculous at this point. It’s not my fault everything points to them being an issue.
You don't have to air the dirty laundry of why he wants a trade w/r/t possible locker room issues.
Yeah, god forbid we actually get some valid legitimate information from a source with vast inside knowledge of the situation.

Hilarious that it’s looked at so different, in relation to all of Laine’s quotes and his “openness”. [MOD]

Last edited by a moderator:

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I did find it odd at the time that nobody really talked about Laine after he left aside from Gaudreau (and I think maybe Jenner?). Gaudreau stepped in for Laine’s charity contribution and said that the team loved him but other than that there wasn’t much talk.
Werenski too, on WC, still in Ostrava. And not Jenner but Gudbranson. Although maybe Boone too but I do not know about it.
Nobody ask them.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I know I said Waddell sounds exasperated but the fact that everyone can automatically, without any proof other than their own preexisting biases, state that his words are proof that they are right and have been so all along, is proof that Waddell chose his words well and we still have no clue.

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
How is that on Wad and not Laine? Laine requested the trade.

But usually these things are best handled behind closed doors, stirs a lot less crap that way. Mind you we haven't heard a single word about the trade request from Laine or his camp, all communication on the matter has been from Wads and now he's gone from "the trade request still stands" to "he's been very vocal about not wanting to play here" and "getting away from a locker room that had a lot going on".

This latest comment really rises a lot of questions, it does nothing good for Laine's value even tough he words it like Laine wants to get out of a bad room - basically he just made EVERYONE except himself appear in bad light, he's just the poor white knight GM riding into a bad situation. Like maybe that's partially true, he's probably frustrated atm but that's bad PR.

I just hope Laine holds up his end of being a pro and does a good job for the Jackets if he starts the season here like seems to be probable.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Honestly, we can guess by the crystal ball, the coffee grounds, the lines on his hands, the chicken bones but that's about it.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
But usually these things are best handled behind closed doors, stirs a lot less crap that way. Mind you we haven't heard a single word about the trade request from Laine or his camp, all communication on the matter has been from Wads
Based on what???? Did LeBrun not report this before Wads ever met with Laine…
seems like it…Go back in this thread, the first trade related piece is from Lebrun talking about how Laine’s agent is letting the team know.

How would Lebrun know the scoop..

Last edited:
Reactions: thebus88

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
But usually these things are best handled behind closed doors, stirs a lot less crap that way. Mind you we haven't heard a single word about the trade request from Laine or his camp, all communication on the matter has been from Wads and now he's gone from "the trade request still stands" to "he's been very vocal about not wanting to play here" and "getting away from a locker room that had a lot going on".

This latest comment really rises a lot of questions, it does nothing good for Laine's value even tough he words it like Laine wants to get out of a bad room - basically he just made EVERYONE except himself appear in bad light, he's just the poor white knight GM riding into a bad situation. Like maybe that's partially true, he's probably frustrated atm but that's bad PR.

I just hope Laine holds up his end of being a pro and does a good job for the Jackets if he starts the season here like seems to be probable.
If there’s truly just one thing this org does better than anyone else, it’s bad PR.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Screw the concept of keeping it in the locker room. We have done that for years and it has been an unmitigated disaster. Maybe if someone is an asshat and he starts having to worry that his behavior could get leaked to the media, he’ll stop being such an asshat. Or maybe we’ll learn which of our guys is an asshat and we can at least give him a clever nickname and make fun of him.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I don't think this loose talk from Waddell helps. You've still got to sell the player. Maybe I'm wrong and he's got some 4D chess going on. Maybe the clubs he's talking to already know a lot more dirty laundry than we do.

Obviously, I don't know Patrik, I wasn't here last year. He went into the program 28 games into the year, and he's been very vocal about it, way before I got here, that he does not want to play for the Blue Jackets. There was a lot of things that went on in the locker room and he just doesn't want it."

if you remember back , Porty called the locker room a 4th grade classroom.. no veterans other than Boone allowed to have a voice .. first I’ve seen WHY PL wants traded .

It didn't cross your mind once that maybe one of the players the veterans were trying to hold accountable was Laine himself? He has a good excuse for the way he was playing last year, but it nonetheless was a situation where you'd expect teammates to step in and try and get him to simplify his game. They're all sick of losing and will try to push guys who aren't playing as a group.

Reactions: Cowumbus

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I don't think this loose talk from Waddell helps. You've still got to sell the player. Maybe I'm wrong and he's got some 4D chess going on. Maybe the clubs he's talking to already know a lot more dirty laundry than we do.

It didn't cross your mind once that maybe one of the players the veterans were trying to hold accountable was Laine himself? He has a good excuse for the way he was playing last year, but it nonetheless was a situation where you'd expect teammates to step in and try and get him to simplify his game. They're all sick of losing and will try to push guys who aren't playing as a group.
And you think that's why he would want to leave? Especially if he has great relationships with Werenski, Gaudreau and Kuraly? Besides, in that case, Severson and Gaudreau would have to look in the mirror too.

Also, he wrote that: ... no veterans other than Boone allowed to have a voice ....

What does that have to do with what you wrote?

Unless someone says something, we will never know what really happened.

Last edited:

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
Pretty sure I saw some pics with Patty and Peeke hanging out early this summer, so it's not like everyone hates him. But who knows.. The guy was depressed and playing like shit. I can imagine that could lead to some negative stuff in a team that's losing most games.

I'd speculate that vets like Werenski, Johnny speaking out for him and Don/Evason inquiring whether he'd stay, suggests it wasnt too serious or/and it wasn't his fault, but then again, the athletes are media trained and the management needs him to have some value for the trade.

We'll find out what happened when everyone involved is retired and someone in the room starts a podcast

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad