Buffalo Bills Week 3 -- Buffalo (2-0) vs Jacksonville (0-1). Monday, 9/23 at 7:30 PM ET on ESPN

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Hard to argue with that data. My only counterpoint would be- sticking with the running game probably opened the passing game/PA game. But, I'm in favor of reeling in the 1st down runs if they're not producing well.
Given that they had 4 successful Cook runs on 1st & 10 on 4 attempts in the first half, I get why they stuck with it.

And it was good to see that the last two were successful after that run of 1 out 6 being unsuccessful.

I don't want them to go crazy throwing the ball. I just think they need to avoid being too heavy one way or the other in any situation. If something is working, sure, stick with it. But, if it isn't working, they are built to be multiple and there are plenty of other options.

For instance, putting Allen under center and running play action on 1st and 10 a few times wouldn't have hurt.

Last edited:

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
They were in long down and distance quite a bit in the 2nd half. Partially because of penalties, but also partially because Arizona did make an adjustment and had some TFL's on 1st down running plays. For as well as they ran at times, especially early, the backs ended up under 4 YPC as a whole.

They converted a lot of those long down and distances because Arizona is a bad defense, but that's not a recipe for success when they play the better teams on their schedule.
@TageGod

Here is what the James Cook carries on 1st & 10 looked like:

-Halftime-

That stretch of 5 out of 6 ineffective James Cook runs on 1st & 10 was tough.

They ran the ball much less effectively in the second half as opposed to the first half.

I realize that they were two plays (Torrence facemask PF & the Josh Allen turndown of Samuel and then the strip sack in the RZ) away from putting up 41-45 points.

That doesn't mean that Brady or Allen were perfect, either.
Arizona made an adjustment in the half. You won't find many games where the RB's don't get snuffed out for a block of plays. The Bills Passed all over them because of the increased run attention.

He can be less predictable on first down though. He doesn't strike me as someone who will force something that isn't working.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Since this game is on Amazon Prime, I'll have to share this photo:
IMG_0484.jpeg

Met Fitzy in Vegas at the Amazon Prime Hospitality "Suite" at the Aria the night before the super bowl.

He assured me that I could boo Tom Brady when he spoke the next day (I did not, as the guy who got my tickets asked me not to). But he was 100% on board with the booing. He also said this would be a transitional year for the Bills. We also talked about his massive family and how he's glad he isn't moving around anymore.

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I wasn't too worried about Rodgers. Still think he'll improve, but he's not going to be an elite QB. I figured he'd be anywhere from 10-20. The good news is, and this is me just stat watching since I didn't watch the game, is the Jets defense got worked, and their run defense once again appears to be ass. Brady should be able to take advantage of that.
Part of it is SF's personnel, but yeah, they were killing the Jets with outside zone runs all night. Their OL was consistently getting to the second level and walling off linebackers from making tackles until Mason was 5+ yards downfield.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
The leap over Barr is still my favorite. That's a freaking LB he dragged his nuts over. DBs, okay...they're smaller and are going to go low because Allen is too damn big, but a linebacker?! Geez...

Anyone watch the Phins game? Was it an RB problem or OL problem? Any sort of regression in their offense would have a big impact bc their defense isnt as strong as last year.

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
The leap over Barr is still my favorite. That's a freaking LB he dragged his nuts over. DBs, okay...they're smaller and are going to go low because Allen is too damn big, but a linebacker?! Geez...

Anyone watch the Phins game? Was it an RB problem or OL problem? Any sort of regression in their offense would have a big impact bc their defense isnt as strong as last year.
Jacksonville played them very physical.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad