Hawks, Bulls, & Sox new channel is Chicago Sports Network (CHSN)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

CallMeShaft

34 Counts
Apr 14, 2014
Cable. Is. DYING! Less and less people are paying it.

They will be available in far more homes than NBCSCH ever was. Imagine seeing that as a negative.
Big question is what happens when the Bulls or Sox play on the same night as the Hawks? Are they getting multiple over the air channels? Will it be online only?

With NBCSCH we at least knew that they had a second channel in these events. We don't know what they'll do with CHSN, and that's pretty poor considering we're this close to the start of the season already.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs

They will be available in far more homes than NBCSCH ever was. Imagine seeing that as a negative.
I never said it was a negative?

I don't have cable. I cut the cord a couple years ago. I just meant the production, itself. The product was good. I don't see the point of all this, outside of trying to do what the Cubs did. The funny thing is... cable will be back, or those who were thinking about cutting the cord won't follow through. Streaming services are already inching up towards the cost of cable. Between my internet and YouTube TV I pay $15-20 less than I paid when it was Comcast for both. Then you get into how you have to have multiple streaming services in order to watch certain things, therefore making it MORE expensive than if I just had cable, that offered all of it in one place. It's just not the cost-effective solution it used to be. And it's not the ad-free solution it used to be, either. The pros and cons of cable and streaming TV have slowly grown to be bordering on identical.

Big question is what happens when the Bulls or Sox play on the same night as the Hawks? Are they getting multiple over the air channels? Will it be online only?

With NBCSCH we at least knew that they had a second channel in these events. We don't know what they'll do with CHSN, and that's pretty poor considering we're this close to the start of the season already.
I mean, they had 2-3 channels they'd put the other games on. Who knows what this is gonna be like. There's potential for Bulls, Sox, and Hawks games all at once in the month of October(in theory).

Last edited:

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
I never said it was a negative?

I don't have cable. I cut the cord a couple years ago. I just meant the production, itself. The product was good. I don't see the point of all this, outside of trying to do what the Cubs did. The funny thing is... cable will be back, or those who were thinking about cutting the cord won't follow through. Streaming services are already inching up towards the cost of cable. Between my internet and YouTube TV I pay $15-20 less than I paid when it was Comcast for both. Then you get into how you have to have multiple streaming services in order to watch certain things, therefore making it MORE expensive than if I just had cable, that offered all of it in one place. It's just not the cost-effective solution it used to be. And it's not the ad-free solution it used to be, either. The pros and cons of cable and streaming TV have slowly grown to be bordering on identical.

I mean, they had 2-3 channels they'd put the other games on. Who knows what this is gonna be like. There's potential for Bulls, Sox, and Hawks games all at once in the month of October(in theory).
The point of leaving NBC?

It's because NBC is getting out of the RSN business. They might not own any in 5 years.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL

Talk to me in five years. When you have to pay $100 a month for packaged streaming services you might not want, to get the ones you do.

The entire thing is just heading in a circle.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Talk to me in five years. When you have to pay $100 a month for packaged streaming services you might not want, to get the ones you do.

The entire thing is just heading in a circle.

Yep, and when leagues themselves move into streaming business controlling own product they are going to charge the hell out of people

The people shitting on cable are eventually going to miss it when they need to spend $200+ on multiple streaming packages who will then put additional tiers/price plans together to force people to pay more because they will put things you want on higher tiers just like how sports/premium channels forced cable to do that with their packages and carry lesser channels for cost that consumers dont want or need

Reactions: Giovi and ray c

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Yep, and when leagues themselves move into streaming business controlling own product they are going to charge the hell out of people

The people shitting on cable are eventually going to miss it when they need to spend $200+ on multiple streaming packages who will then put additional tiers/price plans together to force people to pay more because they will put things you want on higher tiers just like how sports/premium channels forced cable to do that with their packages and carry lesser channels for cost that consumers dont want or need
At the end of the day, streaming services + internet will end up costing more than cable. We are almost there now. And when that happens, cable TV will get more expensive, too.

Right now, most streaming services are operating in the red. They will keep raising prices until buying bundles is the only way for it to be affordable(again, it's almost there).

People that thought corporations would actually continue to provide a service for much cheaper than people were willing to charge(people paid for cable despite the cost) were unbelievably naive.

P.S. How's everyone enjoying the f***ing ads streaming services added?

Reactions: Giovi

CallMeShaft

34 Counts
Apr 14, 2014
At the end of the day, streaming services + internet will end up costing more than cable. We are almost there now. And when that happens, cable TV will get more expensive, too.

Right now, most streaming services are operating in the red. They will keep raising prices until buying bundles is the only way for it to be affordable(again, it's almost there).

People that thought corporations would actually continue to provide a service for much cheaper than people were willing to charge(people paid for cable despite the cost) were unbelievably naive.

With regards to ads, the same ad playing continuously when watching an NHL game on ESPN+ is enough to drive a person mad.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

Also lets not forget we are seeing services cut back on what they put on streaming as well

Also seeing the heavies join with own streaming services has seen license fights, etc. over movies/shows that previously they sold license to Netflix and others to show because Disney/etc want to pull shows/movies from rival services

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Cable would be like 250 dollars a month now with inflation and no alternatives. People cut the cord a long time ago. I still think it’s better now, but it’s getting worse and worse as it goes on

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Cable would be like 250 dollars a month now with inflation and no alternatives. People cut the cord a long time ago. I still think it’s better now, but it’s getting worse and worse as it goes on
It's basically a wash right now. The only way it's better is because of account sharing. Just wait until streaming services lock that down...(it is coming)

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
As a U-Verse customer this appears to be good news for me

Some good news amid the Disney hostage situation (Disney is demanding DirectTV pay big hike on fee and pulled its channels after DirectTV did not cave)

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
How will this effect the quality of the Russian streaming site I use without a VPN because I have nothing to hide from Putin

statswatcher

Jul 27, 2022
How will this effect the quality of the Russian streaming site I use without a VPN because I have nothing to hide from Putin
your isp still sees where you route your traffic brother. look up the 1993 communication assistance for law enforcement act. if it's got power and a data connection, under no circumstance should you trust it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad