Player Discussion: Patrik Laine IVever: a new hope? (Laine out of PAP, trade request still stands)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
Winnipeg Laine had no such problem. I know he wants to be a more rounded player on both ends of the ice but he has the ability to make those shots. Confidence being up and down is more of an issue than ability to get shots off.
Yeah I won't buy that confidence theory until I see Laine score more goals like these 4 from Marchenko (3:30-4:20)

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Yeah I won't buy that confidence theory until I see Laine score more goals like these 4 from Marchenko (3:30-4:20)

Hes scored plenty like that? Its mentality not skills which is what Babcock was talking about when he was still employeed. Also unlike young Marchenko he had more patience and puck skills so he was more dangerous all around. I dont know what flipped within his mind but he doesnt think with a scoring mentality the same way.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
I am not too concerned about how he will play. I just hope he comes to the rink today in an awesome outfit.

Attachments

• BEF35446-1E6F-40CC-9DCC-3403B5BC860A.jpeg
    BEF35446-1E6F-40CC-9DCC-3403B5BC860A.jpeg
    587.1 KB · Views: 3
Reactions: Halberdier and VT

behemolari

worst collapse in nhl history
Dec 1, 2011
One important "ingredient" of shooting is the technical ability to put puck quickly in a shooting position, it needs to be good especially in high traffic situations. That and willingness to shoot have been issues for Laine, not so much for Fantilli and Marchenko. Chinakhov likes to shoot but much like Laine he isn't great at getting shots off quick.

"Best shot in the league" is such a bold and possibly misleading statement in this context.

Best release

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137

Maybe I'm out of my mind but I think if Laine or Chinakhov do this when a goalie doesn't expect it they could score

It's really not THAT much further than a shot from the point.... I just don't think Laine would hit the net :laugh:

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
What is with him? Is it for concussion, mental problems or what? Two season played great and now...

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
What is with him? Is it for concussion, mental problems or what? Two season played great and now...

Concussions are difficult to come back from and that goes for any sport. It takes time to "be normal" and often people who are relied upon for results don't have the luxury of waiting it out, instead they try to play through it. Laine looked like this after a while with his first concussion as well, and I've seen it with other players too. He probably should be in IR still, but if he's physically good to go and wants to go then hard for them to say no, other than this way I guess.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
people really underestimate the impact of him missing three weeks and then coming back onto a team that is already massively fighting the puck. on top of that, he was put back at center (which he hasn't fully learned) and given mathieu olivier as a linemate for one of those games.

when they bring him back into the lineup (hopefully soon) it should be at the wing, and if they're keeping boqvist in the lineup they should both be on PP1.

i don't have an issue with pazzy benching guys who aren't performing, but at a certain point if you want to get the top guys "going" you actually need to put them in the position to contribute like they historically have.

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022
Friedman on the latest 32 Thoughts Podcast talked about how he thought that they should at least have tried him on the wing before benching him. I didn't hear them mentioning his coming back from an injury or the fact that they have played him at wing recently. Instead, I thought they made it sound like the outcome of the "Laine Centre Experiment" was that he was benched. A bit disappointing, I must say.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
Friedman on the latest 32 Thoughts Podcast talked about how he thought that they should at least have tried him on the wing before benching him. I didn't hear them mentioning his coming back from an injury or the fact that they have played him at wing recently. Instead, I thought they made it sound like the outcome of the "Laine Centre Experiment" was that he was benched. A bit disappointing, I must say.
they also acted like putting him at center was a "hail mary pass" to try to "salvage" his time in columbus, as if he didn't put up a point per game the year before playing exclusively on the wing.

he put up a higher points per game figure in the last two seasons while playing on the wing than he ever did in any season in winnipeg.

i think for roster-construction purposes (and given where this team is right now) it makes sense to move him in the right deal, but he's been way better here than the hockey media (and fans) realize.

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022
they also acted like putting him at center was a "hail mary pass" to try to "salvage" his time in columbus, as if he didn't put up a point per game the year before playing exclusively on the wing.

he put up a higher points per game figure in the last two seasons while playing on the wing than he ever did in any season in winnipeg.

i think for roster-construction purposes (and given where this team is right now) it makes sense to move him in the right deal, but he's been way better here than the hockey media (and fans) realize.
It's amazing how easy it seems to be to miss the GP column.

Personally, I don't think trading Laine is a good idea. Particularly not now, when his perceived value is probably as low as it can get. Overall, he's a bit underrated, I think, even by Columbus fans.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
people really underestimate the impact of him missing three weeks and then coming back onto a team that is already massively fighting the puck. on top of that, he was put back at center (which he hasn't fully learned) and given mathieu olivier as a linemate for one of those games.

when they bring him back into the lineup (hopefully soon) it should be at the wing, and if they're keeping boqvist in the lineup they should both be on PP1.

i don't have an issue with pazzy benching guys who aren't performing, but at a certain point if you want to get the top guys "going" you actually need to put them in the position to contribute like they historically have.
And this is where the problem arises. Judging by the last game, if he hadn't played against Chicago, it would have been a pretty strange decision. Scoring a goal is just a problem.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
It's amazing how easy it seems to be to miss the GP column.

Personally, I don't think trading Laine is a good idea. Particularly not now, when his perceived value is probably as low as it can get.
I don't think they're going to trade him. Unless they are mosquito punched they must know that it takes every athlete a while to be ok after a concussion. Besides, it takes u a while after every injury, see last season. I'm rather baffled that they didn't let him play wing for a while, but effectively moved him to center after two games. Plus his contract.

Regarding, Olivier, when they moved Sillinger to him and Patrik, the line played pretty well. Seems to me he plays better with similar picks of players than Gaudreau, Voráček etc.

Reactions: Marioesque

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

They don't know what they're talking about.

Laine's problems since he came back from the concussion have nothing to do with center vs wing, it's much more fundamental.

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022
They don't know what they're talking about.

Laine's problems since he came back from the concussion have nothing to do with center vs wing, it's much more fundamental.
It's unfortunate that they seem to be completely uninformed when discussing Columbus for a substantial amount of time. Particularly considering the audience that they have.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Local afternoon sports radio crew parroted a lot of that. So maybe they aren't stealing talking points from HF, but Friedman. (Yes, local afternoon sports radio person, this is an attempt to convince you we're off your trail. :cool:)

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009

“It’s probably, over my career, the most embarrassing thing that’s happened to me,” Laine said. “So obviously I’m not happy about that. They know that. It is what it is. It’s done and we’re back (to practice). So just try to focus on playing.”
Laine didn’t stop there, saying he was blindsided Vincent’s decision, felt it was unfair and would not be beneficial to his play, even though he acknowledged that he has struggled so far this season, in part due to injuries. He has two goals and one assist in nine games.

“If your confidence isn’t there, I don’t think you’re going to find it eating popcorn, watching the game,” Laine said. “That’s my opinion.

“I understand it, that guys who are going are playing. I understand that. I’m not stupid. But at the same time, if you want to get going, you have to be out there. I can’t get confidence drinking BioSteel on the bench. I’m not crying about it, because I’m not in a position where I can complain about anything with the way I’ve been playing. But that’s how I see it.”
It was clear that Laine, 25, was biting his tongue on Tuesday, even as he spoke at length with reporters.

“I’m not going to start analyzing it that much, because I don’t know what I’m gonna say,” Laine said. “I’ll just keep it at that. I’m not going to say anything dumb. It’s up to them. I just play here. And I play whenever they tell me.

“It was a complete surprise, yeah. We had some talks (with Vincent), but I don’t think it was related to that. I was kinda blindsided by it, I’m not going to lie. But what are you gonna do? Just suck it up and deal with it. That’s all I have to say about it.”
That didn’t make Sunday’s decision any easier to accept, he said.

“I don’t think it matters who it is, Patty or somebody else I don’t know that well,” Laine said. “I would have said the same thing — I’m not happy with this. I don’t think it’s fair.

“It is what it is. They heard my side. I heard their side. At the end of the day, they’re the ones making the call as to who’s playing. I just show up whenever they tell me to. I didn’t think I would see this day. So, just try to move forward and work hard and get back to playing.”
“I expect from him and all the players to respond like a man,” Vincent said. “I know he wasn’t happy. Like, if he was happy today and he said something different, I’d be disappointed.

“There’s never (an attempt) by our decisions to embarrass any of our people, ever. That’s not the point. We want him to respond like a man and to play hard tomorrow. That’s it.”
“Even before he got to Winnipeg, he was scouted as a character player,” Vincent said. “If you were in a Game 7 and you wanted a guy to make a difference, Patrik Laine was your guy. So it’s in him and we hope to see that tomorrow and the future.

“We need him. We absolutely need him. We need his talent. We need his presence. We need his skill level. We need his ability to be a difference-maker in the games. We know he can do it. To me, we’re moving forward.”

Vincent ascended to the top job in Columbus just four days before training camp, following the resignation of Mike Babcock. If players thought it would be an easier ride under Vincent, they’ve been sorely mistaken.

Asked if he worried that his tough tactics might divide the dressing room, or pit the players against him, Vincent vowed not to change.

“My vision for this team is, we want to be a team that challenges to be in the playoffs every year,” Vincent said. “And if we stay status quo, it’s not going to happen.

So by challenging guys, by making these decisions, there’s a reason behind it. There’s a vision behind it, and in order to get there, yes, it’s going to be uncomfortable for some people. It’s asking this: ‘Are you in? Or are you in the way?’ We’re in that stage.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad