Player Discussion: Patrik Laine IVever: a new hope? (Laine out of PAP, trade request still stands)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
Who knows where the Wheel of Justice stops at?
1697904977319.jpeg

You never know with the DOPS…

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
If the league is serious about getting head shots out of the game, they must deal out heavy punishment for reckless behavior like the Andersson hit.
The league has proven it is not serious about getting head shots out of the game. Follow its actions not its words.

The crazy thing is the league should actually have a partner in the NHLPA in wanting harsher punishment but the union is apparently more concerned with avoiding suspensions than protecting its members.

Last edited:

Bobcat205

addicted to the grind
Sep 22, 2023
your local KFC
a 4 game suspension for Andersson was... better than I expected from the DOP(e)S, but I would also expect this appeal to be accepted so he can play the Battle of Alberta. Bettman's making the decision himself, after all.

Reactions: Halberdier

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
a 4 game suspension for Andersson was... better than I expected from the DOP(e)S, but I would also expect this appeal to be accepted so he can play the Battle of Alberta. Bettman's making the decision himself, after all.
If Bettman accepts the appeal, then he should also receive a 4 game suspension.

Reactions: Halberdier

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
What do you guys think they would find if the “experts” were able to study the hearts of long term full contact sports playing (football/rugby/hockey etc) athletes in relation to the regular population??

Do you think taking “repeated damage” to the BODY (NOT BRAIN) is “good” for the health of the athletes?? How much impact do all the injuries to joints and all other parts of the body suffered from “legal” or “clean” hits end up having on the “brain” or “mental health” of the athletes over time.

Is the solution to take body checking right out all together? Why not? When you really think about it, violence adds nothing to the game. Just keeps goals off the scoreboard and nobody likes that.

You wanna talk hard stuff. The “CTE”. Well, the pharmaceuticals they’ve pumped on all those guys have a much bigger negative impact on the depression and their brains than the actual CTE.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
What do you guys think they would find if the “experts” were able to study the hearts of long term full contact sports playing (football/rugby/hockey etc) athletes in relation to the regular population??

Do you think taking “repeated damage” to the BODY (NOT BRAIN) is “good” for the health of the athletes?? How much impact do all the injuries to joints and all other parts of the body suffered from “legal” or “clean” hits end up having on the “brain” or “mental health” of the athletes over time.

Is the solution to take body checking right out all together? Why not? When you really think about it, violence adds nothing to the game. Just keeps goals off the scoreboard and nobody likes that.

You wanna talk hard stuff. The “CTE”. Well, the pharmaceuticals they’ve pumped on all those guys have a much bigger negative impact on the depression and their brains than the actual CTE.
These things have in fact been studied. The reason why CTE in particular gets such attention is because there's literally nothing that can be done to fix it. Virtually everything else can be (and routinely is) corrected via surgeries and the like.

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
These things have in fact been studied. The reason why CTE in particular gets such attention is because there's literally nothing that can be done to fix it. Virtually everything else can be (and routinely is) corrected via surgeries and the like.
One of my childhood friends played offensive line on a Div I football powerhouse in high school and walked on at OSU. He shot himself a couple years back due to CTE and the unbearable symptoms he experienced. CTE is an insidious monster.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Not entirely, but there's a big difference in quality of life for a retired athlete with bad knees (like JD) vs a guy with brain damage. They're not comparable regardless of treatment options.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan

Well, they can start with lobotomies of the people who want to take all body contact out of hockey and all toughness out of humanity all together.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Well, they can start with lobotomies of the people who want to take all body contact out of hockey and all toughness out of humanity all together.
Since I can tell you’re interested in a serious discussion about health and medical treatment, you’ll be interested to know that lobotomy is no longer accepted medical practice. There has not been a lobotomy performed in the US since 1967.

Last edited:

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
Thankfully, I can only find one other instance where Laine had a reported concussion or at the very least head injury. I was worried he might have more since he's been in the NHL but as we saw with Wennberg, it only takes one hit for a player to never be the same again.

Reactions: squashmaple

behemolari

worst collapse in nhl history
Dec 1, 2011
Thankfully, I can only find one other instance where Laine had a reported concussion or at the very least head injury. I was worried he might have more since he's been in the NHL but as we saw with Wennberg, it only takes one hit for a player to never be the same again.

It would be so much easier to take if it wasn't brutal predatory hit with only meaning to injure player at the buzzer.

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
Are you supporting predatory hits to the head as an entertaining element of the game? Because that’s what we are discussing here. Every full contact SPORT has a rule set in order to prevent serious head trauma and player safety. MMA is a good example of that. But I don’t know, would you prefer the old school rule set with soccer kicks and hits to the back of the head? Get a clue man.

KCbus

Someday, we’ll have an NHL team.
Jan 3, 2010
Reynoldsburg, OH
Since I can tell you’re interested in a serious discussion about health and medical treatment, you’ll be interested to know that lobotomy is no longer accepted medical practice. There has not been a lobotomy performed in the US since 1967.
I don't know. Reading the last few posts of this thread makes me think there's been at least one.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
It would be so much easier to take if it wasn't brutal predatory hit with only meaning to injure player at the buzzer.
This.

The first concussion he had was fortunately not a predatory hit or even against the rules. As those who made the rules never even remotely entertained themselves with a possibility of someone just straight collide with one another, chest to chest and head to head (the hitter cut his face with Laine's visor). I did once "hit" someone in a similar manner, but fortunately he was in right angle towards me so it was only my dummy ass that lost a front tooth on that puck race (always use a cage or at least a mouthguard, trust me on this fellas!).

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad