Player Discussion: Patrik Laine IVever: a new hope? (Laine out of PAP, trade request still stands)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

behemolari

worst collapse in nhl history
Dec 1, 2011
I just hope that they don’t rush him into action. I also hope that Andersson breaks a leg, like in good luck with your next performance when our teams meet.

January 25th, until that I have special place for Mr. Anderson in my prayers

Reactions: VT

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
Thankfully, I can only find one other instance where Laine had a reported concussion or at the very least head injury. I was worried he might have more since he's been in the NHL but as we saw with Wennberg, it only takes one hit for a player to never be the same again.

He's only had one before, in 2017 and he only missed about ~15 days with it. And that looked much worse than this one (there was blood involved and he was knocked out cold upon impact). So hopefully that means he'll recover fast from this one.

Another possibility is that it was a concussion plus something else or maybe not a concussion at all which is definitely better news. It is odd for a club not to openly say that the injury is a concussion esp at this stage of the season and leave it at "upper body injury", as unlike other injuries you are not allowed to play with a concussion at 95% recovered so there is no way for anyone to exploit it. That makes me think it might be a shoulder or neck or something else where they don't want him targeted in that spot if he returns early at 80-90% level.

Definitely should have been a longer suspension esp now that it looks like Laine will miss much more than 4 games.

99% that's the case. There was a pic in instagram of him dressed up as shrek for Halloween (his gf was fiona, and Fantilli was donkey). No sign of any shoulder or neck support

Could be a sprain or a soft-tissue injury which doesn't require outward support.

Last edited:

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
He's only had one before, in 2017 and he only missed about ~15 days with it. And that looked much worse than this one (there was blood involved and he was knocked out cold upon impact). So hopefully that means he'll recover fast from this one.

Another possibility is that it was a concussion plus something else or maybe not a concussion at all which is definitely better news. It is odd for a club not to openly say that the injury is a concussion esp at this stage of the season and leave it at "upper body injury", as unlike other injuries you are not allowed to play with a concussion at 95% recovered so there is no way for anyone to exploit it. That makes me think it might be a shoulder or neck or something else where they don't want him targeted in that spot if he returns early at 80-90% level.

Definitely should have been a longer suspension esp now that it looks like Laine will miss much more than 4 games.

Could be a sprain or a soft-tissue injury which doesn't require outward support.
A concussion is an injury to the upper part of the body too. Besides, why hasten the return? Such an injury is no joke, premature to return could have serious consequences. I know from personal experience. And I'm not even a professional athlete.

Reactions: Halberdier

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
"Patrik Laine said the hit that took him out of the lineup -- and led to a suspension for Calgary's Rasmus Andersson -- was "unnecessary." Laine: "The only thing I have to say, I'm pretty excited to play him in January. I'll just leave it at that."

I like the attitude of course, but he'll go hard after RA and in the process of hitting him breaks a bone or something, is how I see this going.

Michigan Magic

Nov 3, 2023
Hattiesburg
"Patrik Laine said the hit that took him out of the lineup -- and led to a suspension for Calgary's Rasmus Andersson -- was "unnecessary." Laine: "The only thing I have to say, I'm pretty excited to play him in January. I'll just leave it at that."

I like the attitude of course, but he'll go hard after RA and in the process of hitting him breaks a bone or something, is how I see this going.
In the process Laine will injure himself again and be limited to another 50+ game season.

Reactions: behemolari

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus

In the process Laine will injure himself again and be limited to another 50+ game season.
If that happens you might say he is, I don't know, prone, to sustaining injuries.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
If that happens you might say he is, I don't know, prone, to sustaining injuries.

Supine_and_prone_diagrams-en.svg

:teach:

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
One thing to think about moving forward (for trading Laine talk) is how close he and Fantilli seem to be and Fantilli looking up to Laine.

It’s awesome to see them 2 having the connection they do but also to thinkg about what kind of a reaction Laine trade could create in the locker room

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
One thing to think about moving forward (for trading Laine talk) is how close he and Fantilli seem to be and Fantilli looking up to Laine.

It’s awesome to see them 2 having the connection they do but also to thinkg about what kind of a reaction Laine trade could create in the locker room
And why should a player who can be a great center be traded? There are other candidates on the team, including forwards.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
It’s not a big deal, really. I’d be disappointed if Laine didn’t have a burning sense of vengeance in him. Most probably it will end up with a few heavy hits and maybe a scrum, topped with a goal by Laine pointing at him. IF we’re lucky, we’ll be up a few goals and have the freedom to ice our guys and goon that piece of ****.. What he did was 100% intentional, and the league does still not protect its talents from intentional headshots/knee tackles etc

Reactions: behemolari

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
If he is not traded, we better get a discount on the resign, because he's not worth what he's paid.
Enough with the center talk. He's a wing. We drafted Fntilli to play center but let's do stupid crap because Laine is the coach's pet. FFS!!!
Laine's cap hit is $8,700,000 for 1 PPG player not playing in the top team. He was improving his teammates in the lineup, except Gaudreau he can play with every teammate, finally learned to defend well. Do you think he doesn't deserve his money?

Fantilli is only one TOP 6 center, Jenner has played there because is untouchable (another thing is the wing, similar players are ideal there).

Also Jakub Voráček support him to be a center. Btw, he supports Johnson too. It is pity Kent has lack of strenght.

Pet? So that's probably why he had one if smallest time in 5v5 in some games, he was moved to the 2PP Unit. Although in the latter case he was lucky he didn't have to play with Werenski.

Understand me right, I never claims Patrik is ideal, nobody is. Only I think some ideas about him ste not right. They are only mantra based on his first seasons in the NHL.

Last edited:

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
If he is not traded, we better get a discount on the resign, because he's not worth what he's paid.
Enough with the center talk. He's a wing. We drafted Fntilli to play center but let's do stupid crap because Laine is the coach's pet. FFS!!!

Coaches pet? No, he's the best player, the only (before Fantilli) franchise fwd capable.

Him and Fantilli will carry this franchise

Who/What do you think a healthy Laine is?

He is the best shot in the league, wrist or one-timer. I know we have not utilized it to max but the ingredient is there.

There were two of my favorite players at the top of the league. Patty and Tage are the competition for hardest shots. Laine is more accurate

Last edited:

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Coaches pet? No, he's the best player, the only (before Fantilli) franchise fwd capable.

Him and Fantilli will carry this franchise

Who/What do you think a healthy Laine is?

He is the best shot in the league, wrist or one-timer. I know we have not utilized it to max but the ingredient is there.

There were two of my favorite players at the top of the league. Patty and Tage are the competition for hardest shots. Laine is more accurate
Maybe you didn't hear about Gaudreau family. ;) Also I wouldn't forgot on Marchenko and Johnson (maybe others) in the future.

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
One important "ingredient" of shooting is the technical ability to put puck quickly in a shooting position, it needs to be good especially in high traffic situations. That and willingness to shoot have been issues for Laine, not so much for Fantilli and Marchenko. Chinakhov likes to shoot but much like Laine he isn't great at getting shots off quick.

"Best shot in the league" is such a bold and possibly misleading statement in this context.

Reactions: thebus88

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
One important "ingredient" of shooting is the technical ability to put puck quickly in a shooting position, it needs to be good especially in high traffic situations. That and willingness to shoot have been issues for Laine, not so much for Fantilli and Marchenko. Chinakhov likes to shoot but much like Laine he isn't great at getting shots off quick.

"Best shot in the league" is such a bold and possibly misleading statement in this context.
Winnipeg Laine had no such problem. I know he wants to be a more rounded player on both ends of the ice but he has the ability to make those shots. Confidence being up and down is more of an issue than ability to get shots off. Will be great if later in the year he can find chemistry with Johnson. Shame what happened to Voracek, he could have been super valuable around here for a bit longer even if I know the cap savings were needed

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Not on board with the coach’s pet stuff but I agree he’s not worth what we’re paying him and that he’s more likely to be worth what we’re paying him if he plays at wing, where he is dangerous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad