Player Discussion: Patrik Laine IVever: a new hope? (Laine out of PAP, trade request still stands)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
Can we all agree that Laine looks faster, quicker and more engaged in the limited preseason we have seen him. How he got here - I don’t care. Just keep playing that way and score goals 40-50 preferably.
The FO has done some good work with him:

Fitter happier
More productive
Comfortable
Not drinking too much
Regular exercise at the gym (3 days a week)
Getting on better with your associate employee contemporaries
At ease
Eating well (no more microwave dinners and saturated fats)
A patient, better driver

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
With Barkov he has been using a physiotherapist in Tampere focusing on mobility.

No one has sais off ice training is bs or Laine should be in prime condition at 19y but if skating is what it is and you’re a hockey player you probably should spend some time on the ice.
Laine is a hockey player not a damm runner so I fail to see how offseasons with 100% focus on off ice stuff is for the best.
Especially when everyone and everything goes against that type of training

Kakko is another Rautala example who’s been skating in mud for 3 years and had to settle for prove it deal as a 2nd overall pick.

Edit.
For comparison Barkovs skating was seen as the biggest negative on his game on draft day and now he’s the best Finnish player in the league and for his size an amazing skater.
He used physiotheraphy& figure skating coach on his way to the top.
I guess we misunderstood. I meant that hockey players aren't speed skaters who have to have perfect skating, so improving it shouldn't take that long also with regard to the lack of muscle cells. Of course, the training of hockey players and speed skaters is different, and radically so.

But that's my amateur view. Maybe there is a certain type of people like Laine needs long term training, about 5-6 years like @Ippenator says.

Btw, I think Barkov skates very good but even if it's weak, it wouldn't matter as he has a great positional play.

Last edited:

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

Fitter happier
More productive
Comfortable
Not drinking too much
At ease
A patient, better driver
arrest this man he talks in maths

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I guess we misunderstood. I meant that hockey players aren't speed skaters who have to have perfect skating, so improving it shouldn't take that long also with regard to the lack of muscle cells. Of course, the training of hockey players and speed skaters is different, and radically so.

But that's my amateur view. Maybe there is a certain type of people like Laine needs long term training, about 5-6 years like @Ippenator says.

Btw, I think Barkov skates very good but even if it's weak, it wouldn't matter as he has a great positional play.

I’ve never said a player must be a perfect skater.

But after watching Laine closely from 2015-> it’s been easily his biggest weakness and something that’s been holding him back from reaching a superstar level.
He’s (has been) basically always behind the play with his skating.
So for him and him taking the next level upgrading his skating is crucial, but again not saying he has to be perfect.

Also I’ve never said Laine has to be in prime form at 19y or that it won’t take years before he reaches his prime.
My issue with those excuses is that you can’t say wait 5-7 years to see any results. Which has been the argument here for year by some posters.

It’s okay and absolutelu expected that Laine will hit his prime around these years but with top tier coaches and everything they have available you have to be able to show progress regularly and constantly.
Claiming this will take 5-7 years is just bs and there’s something very wrong in the training.

Rautala is known to be a old school coach and my knowledge aside I’m not just basing my thoughts on what I know, but listening and comparing to what others do, the top guys, the top coaches.
How those players have been able show progress and get to the top.

Rautala and Ippes thoughts just argue against all the others with ”we know the best, we know everything” type mindset.
& of that I’m extremely tired at

Kakko is another Rautalas trainee who has suffered from the same thing.

But for Laine I couldn’t be more excited to see how he does and how he looks.
Him and Gaudreau should be dynamite

Last edited:

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I’ve never said a player must be a perfect skater.

But after watching Laine closely from 2015-> it’s been easily his biggest weakness and something that’s been holding him back from reaching a superstar level.
He’s (has been) basically always behind the play with his skating.
So for him and him taking the next level upgrading his skating is crucial, but again not saying he has to be perfect.

Also I’ve never said Laine has to be in prime form at 19y or that it won’t take years before he reaches his prime.
My issue with those excuses is that you can’t say wait 5-7 years to see any results. Which has been the argument here for year by some posters.

It’s okay and absolutelu expected that Laine will hit his prime around these years but with top tier coaches and everything they have available you have to be able to show progress regularly and constantly.
Claiming this will take 5-7 years is just bs and there’s something very wrong in the training.

Rautala is known to be a old school coach and my knowledge aside I’m not just basing my thoughts on what I know, but listening and comparing to what others do, the top guys, the top coaches.
How those players have been able show progress and get to the top.

Rautala and Ippes thoughts just argue against all the others with ”we know the best, we know everything” type mindset.
& of that I’m extremely tired at

Kakko is another Rautalas trainee who has suffered from the same thing.

But for Laine I couldn’t be more excited to see how he does and how he looks.
Him and Gaudreau should be dynamite
My English needs to improve, as I was alluding to not being a speed skater, so the muscle cells that are important in speed aren't that important, more accurately he may not have them as developed. Anyway, it really does boggle my mind that no one has recommended a physiotherapist to him for such a long time.

Btw, thanks both, you and @Ippenator for many interesting informations. 🙂

Reactions: DougKnowsBest

Halberdier

May 14, 2016

Fitter happier
More productive
Comfortable
Not drinking too much
At ease
A patient, better driver
At least in the past Laine didn't drink at all, so I am pleased FO has managed to get his "drinking problem" under control :cool:

karhukissa

Apr 2, 2019
Barkov is very smooth skater for his size and he trains with Laine, so i'm sure training with Barkov has improved him a lot.

Also we all know that with Laine it's all about his mood and mentality, he can be unstoppable or garbage. I'm 100% sure that when he heard about Gaudreau trade, his eyes lit up. For the first time ever he get's to play with one of the best players in the world and one of the best passers. This is their season.

Kekäläinen also said it was about time for Laine to let his hair go, it's Laine 2.0 now. And he also mentioned that Laine's test results are better than ever, so he clearly worked very hard during off season.

Last edited:
Reactions: CBJx614

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
Barkov is very smooth skater for his size and he trains with Laine, so i'm sure training with Barkov has improved him a lot.

Also we all know that with Laine it's all about his mood and mentality, he can be unstoppable or garbage. I'm 100% sure that when he heard about Gaudreau trade, his eyes lit up. For the first time ever he get's to play with one of the best players in the world and one of the best passers. This is their season.

Kekäläinen also said it was about time for Laine to let his hair go, it's Laine 2.0 now. And he also mentioned that Laine's test results are better than ever, so he clearly worked very hard during off season.
Barkov is elite at everything, including skating. I think his skating gets underrated because he's so big and looks slower than he actually is.

I also think we'd be seeing this Laine regardless of the Gaudreau acquisition. People are acting like he's less of a player than he was in Winnipeg, but last year was his best yet in terms of points per game and even strength production.

Last year was the best version of Laine, and this year's version is even better and has an elite passing/play-driving linemate and (hopefully) a competent power play. Dude's gonna be a 90+ point player this year if he stays healthy.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
Barkov is elite at everything, including skating. I think his skating gets underrated because he's so big and looks slower than he actually is.

I also think we'd be seeing this Laine regardless of the Gaudreau acquisition. People are acting like he's less of a player than he was in Winnipeg, but last year was his best yet in terms of points per game and even strength production.

Last year was the best version of Laine, and this year's version is even better and has an elite passing/play-driving linemate and (hopefully) a competent power play. Dude's gonna be a 90+ point player this year if he stays healthy.
I freaking hope so, the Jackets have needed a breakout player for a long time. Not that Laine is necessarily a breakout player, but to be able to have Laines full potential to be unlocked paired with Gaudreau... Could be a deadly combination.

Now if we could get someone like Johnson, Foudy, Chinny to breakout to their full potential as well... This team could be lethal.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

Youngguns1380

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
I freaking hope so, the Jackets have needed a breakout player for a long time. Not that Laine is necessarily a breakout player, but to be able to have Laines full potential to be unlocked paired with Gaudreau... Could be a deadly combination.

Now if we could get someone like Johnson, Foudy, Chinny to breakout to their full potential as well... This team could be lethal.
You have a point but I don’t think we will have problems scoring goals. I think we need a quantum leap on the defense. Then we will be lethal.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
You have a point but I don’t think we will have problems scoring goals. I think we need a quantum leap on the defense. Then we will be lethal.
Offense is the best defense! I think we see a drop in GA simply because our possession time will go up and we should be spending less time in our own end. That's not to say we won't struggle defensively, I'm just expecting to have to play D less.

Reactions: Ippenator and LJ7

wabagee

Nov 24, 2014
We still have at least a year to go before the defense starts catching up with the offense in the excitement department.

Reactions: Halberdier

avgard

Jan 8, 2017
maybe there he putting up over 82 goals to jumbothrones board this seasons. im not surprised if this happen. thou there are some questions. biggest is my answer already here. they not propably most propably to be playing him for absolute success like macdavids and german dude at edmonton. in league there are hidden points that never to be out at scoreboards jumbothrones beacause of many things. some guys got lucky with coach and systems and other things. one thing getting me angry. my players not playing in generous minits by coaches of them. some players playing like 30 minits game and full PPs.

sir avgard hockeyprofessor

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
Plays 7 minutes, scores, creates chances every shift. Is gonna be out for a while

Attachments

• Hide-the-Pain-Harold-is-Imgur’s-Meme-of-the-Decade.jpg
    Hide-the-Pain-Harold-is-Imgur’s-Meme-of-the-Decade.jpg
    276.2 KB · Views: 2

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
maybe there he putting up over 82 goals to jumbothrones board this seasons. im not surprised if this happen. thou there are some questions. biggest is my answer already here. they not propably most propably to be playing him for absolute success like macdavids and german dude at edmonton. in league there are hidden points that never to be out at scoreboards jumbothrones beacause of many things. some guys got lucky with coach and systems and other things. one thing getting me angry. my players not playing in generous minits by coaches of them. some players playing like 30 minits game and full PPs.

sir avgard hockeyprofessor
Go back to Manitoba, "sir". You were a pretty fun troll around 6 years ago.

You don’t know that
Impossible to know, but it looked really bad. I guess it must be his wrist that got a nasty squeeze between the board and an opponent.

Reactions: Garbox
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad