Player Discussion: Patrik Laine IVever: a new hope? (Laine out of PAP, trade request still stands)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
Accroding to Werenski Laine is in better shape and faster than ever and has been dominating on ice. Can’t wait to see him and CBJ in action !
probably not the first to say this, but i don't think people really grasp just how much fun patrik laine is going to be this season -- just based on the circumstances he's in, not even factoring in him getting faster/stronger.

he sneakily just had the best season of his career, albeit a shortened one. not only was he ppg for the first time, he set a massive career high in even strength ppg (0.75 – his previous high was 0.60) while being the primary focus of other teams. meanwhile, gaudreau is coming off literally the best 5v5 year since CBJ has existed (most even strength points since Jagr in 1995-96!)

in other words… laine's gonna have another career year at even strength. if the power play even becomes league average (or, hopefully, above average) he could have a shot at 100 points.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
probably not the first to say this, but i don't think people really grasp just how much fun patrik laine is going to be this season -- just based on the circumstances he's in, not even factoring in him getting faster/stronger.

he sneakily just had the best season of his career, albeit a shortened one. not only was he ppg for the first time, he set a massive career high in even strength ppg (0.75 – his previous high was 0.60) while being the primary focus of other teams. meanwhile, gaudreau is coming off literally the best 5v5 year since CBJ has existed (most even strength points since Jagr in 1995-96!)

in other words… laine's gonna have another career year at even strength. if the power play even becomes league average (or, hopefully, above average) he could have a shot at 100 points.
I admit I do not grasp this but I hope to have to.

Reactions: Viqsi and thebus88

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
Even as a finn I've been a Laine hater for most of his career (playstyle, finnish teams etc..), but it's hard not to see him going ballistic this season. If you play fantasy league, you don't skip him.

Reactions: Halberdier

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
Seems very unhealthy to hate a hockey player for such arbitrary reasons.
I'm fine with his play overall nowadays. It just seemed that in WPG they could not make a line with him work, even lines like Connor-Scheifele-Laine turned out net negative in goal for - goals against. I like to think line with 65%+ G% can be considered elite and 50%+ to be considered viable. Otherwise it's just losing hockey whatever the reason is. At the time I thought Laine was the common nominator, but now it seems that the Jets might have had a lot more problems than just fitting him in the lineup...

I never doubted his offensive skills. The offensive eye and possibly the best shot in NHL has always been there.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
I'm fine with his play overall nowadays. It just seemed that in WPG they could not make a line with him work, even lines like Connor-Scheifele-Laine turned out net negative in goal for - goals against. I like to think line with 65%+ G% can be considered elite and 50%+ to be considered viable. Otherwise it's just losing hockey whatever the reason is. At the time I thought Laine was the common nominator, but now it seems that the Jets might have had a lot more problems than just fitting him in the lineup...

I never doubted his offensive skills. The offensive eye and possibly the best shot in NHL has always been there.
Connor-Scheifele-Laine is a nightmare line. Three players absolutely terrible at defending.

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
Connor-Scheifele-Laine is a nightmare line. Three players absolutely terrible at defending.

Arguably Laine was the best defensive fwd in that line and he played closer to the defense than the so called center. Wheeler is also awful defensively.

With Perreault instead of Connor it worked well. Stastny as a solid two way center also worked well with Laine. Like Jenner last season.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
Arguably Laine was the best defensive fwd in that line and he played closer to the defense than the so called center. Wheeler is also awful defensively.

With Perreault instead of Connor it worked well. Stastny as a solid two way center also worked well with Laine. Like Jenner last season.

They will 100% go with Jenner. It's not just the pressure to succeed for that line, they need chemistry and the guy that is willing to do all of the dirty work. If it's not Jenner, they probably are going to have problems.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Even as a finn I've been a Laine hater for most of his career (playstyle, finnish teams etc..), but it's hard not to see him going ballistic this season. If you play fantasy league, you don't skip him.
I like your honesty, and esp. on his early career he certainly had almost as many Finnish haters as he had Finnish fans. I for example absolutely loved his playstyle and his Finnish team.

He was successful, his team was succesful and he was not ridiculously Finnish-style overly humble about that. And there was stupid fan rivalries between Laine & Puljujärvi, so not only loads of Ilves fans (local Tampere rival), but also Kärpät fans often loved to hate Laine.

I don't mind people hating a player. That's their choice. What I can't understand are those posters (not you!) than use huge amount of energy constantly posting rude things on certain players. I don't get what kind of satisfaction they get, but that is what it is.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016

Btw. during his stay Laine was having the best goal differential 5-on-5 (refugular seasons + playoffs) until attrocious late 18-19, and even after/including that he was like TOP-3.

5th Line Fanatic

Oct 2, 2020
I don't typically like posting stuff in full from The Athletic, but Porty's Sunday Gatherings this week had an absolute gem from Laine that I can't resist not passing along for all to enjoy. By the way, I love my subscription to The Athletic and I highly recommend it.

Here you go, enjoy!

When asked what else would be on his tour, Laine started having fun. “Probably a sauna first,” he said. “You guys have no clue about that stuff over here. I’ll show the guys what a real sauna looks like and we’ll see who holds up with me over there.”

Finns love their saunas. In a country of 5.3 million people, there are an estimated two million saunas. “Oh, it’s hot,” Laine said. “It’s hotter than anybody here is ever used to. We’ll see how many guys are going to be in the hospital after.” Asked who will struggle the most with it, Laine smiled and said, “Probably one of the Swedes, I’m guessing. Or Jack (Roslovic). He’s pretty soft.”

• Two things must be said about Laine’s sauna conversation. First, he’s always playfully swiping at Roslovic after Roslovic spoke not-so-fondly about Finland following a pair of 2018 NHL games against Florida in Helsinki. Also, Finland and Sweden are not just neighbors but natural competitors, so the Swedes half expected a crack from Laine. “We’re used to that stuff,” Adam Boqvist said. “But (Finland) is little brother for a reason. We’ll leave it at that.”

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
I like your honesty, and esp. on his early career he certainly had almost as many Finnish haters as he had Finnish fans. I for example absolutely loved his playstyle and his Finnish team.

He was successful, his team was succesful and he was not ridiculously Finnish-style overly humble about that. And there was stupid fan rivalries between Laine & Puljujärvi, so not only loads of Ilves fans (local Tampere rival), but also Kärpät fans often loved to hate Laine.

I don't mind people hating a player. That's their choice. What I can't understand are those posters (not you!) than use huge amount of energy constantly posting rude things on certain players. I don't get what kind of satisfaction they get, but that is what it is.
I do understand very well that someone can dislike a player because of a certain playing style, as we all have our own ideas of what hockey should be like. But I never understood why people dislike players on the basis of what their team has been. I for example am a fan of Ilves the local rival of Tappara (Laine’s Liiga team) and have always quite passionately hated Tappara as a team. But I never hated any player because they were playing for Tappara.

I in fact became rapidly a big fan of Laine, when he was playing in Tappara as a 17 year old. I loved his and Sebastian Aho’s play in fact so much that season, that I watched more the games of their teams (Tappara and Kärpät) than my own team Ilves’s games then. And what a season it was for both of the youngsters!

I really loved both of their playing styles right from the start. They are for sure quite different players, but they both have very high offensive hockey IQ, and both can score goals but in fact both can be very good with their passing as well. Sure, Aho has been more known for it, but Laine is also an extremely good passer and he can also really shine with it, especially if he gets to play with high hockey IQ players who know quickly how to get open on the ice.

Anyway goalscoring and great passing skills have always been for me the most important things in hockey, so I have never been able to hate players that clearly are excellent with both of them. In fact players that have great hockey IQ and are great with goalscoring and passing, are usually my definite favorites, like Laine and Aho of course are.

Last edited:

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
I don't typically like posting stuff in full from The Athletic, but Porty's Sunday Gatherings this week had an absolute gem from Laine that I can't resist not passing along for all to enjoy. By the way, I love my subscription to The Athletic and I highly recommend it.

Here you go, enjoy!

When asked what else would be on his tour, Laine started having fun. “Probably a sauna first,” he said. “You guys have no clue about that stuff over here. I’ll show the guys what a real sauna looks like and we’ll see who holds up with me over there.”

Finns love their saunas. In a country of 5.3 million people, there are an estimated two million saunas. “Oh, it’s hot,” Laine said. “It’s hotter than anybody here is ever used to. We’ll see how many guys are going to be in the hospital after.” Asked who will struggle the most with it, Laine smiled and said, “Probably one of the Swedes, I’m guessing. Or Jack (Roslovic). He’s pretty soft.”

• Two things must be said about Laine’s sauna conversation. First, he’s always playfully swiping at Roslovic after Roslovic spoke not-so-fondly about Finland following a pair of 2018 NHL games against Florida in Helsinki. Also, Finland and Sweden are not just neighbors but natural competitors, so the Swedes half expected a crack from Laine. “We’re used to that stuff,” Adam Boqvist said. “But (Finland) is little brother for a reason. We’ll leave it at that.”
There is more sauna specific stuf about Swedes: there are "saunas" in Sweden (they call them "bastu"), but they are usually pretty cold compared to Finnish saunas and often you aren't even allowed to throw water on the stove, which is the very point of sauna. Swedish saunas are quite a meme in Finland so that's the backgroud for Laine's comment.

(Btw. Nowadays I personally love not-that-hot-but-very-humid saunas while I do occasionally enjoy also those skin burning temps Laine is referring to. But it's also really relaxing to just hang out in a less hot sauna for a very long time, if there is a good fresh air. Dry saunas and saunas with foul air are awful, no matter how hot they are.)

Reactions: Garbox and LJ7

gritdash60

Aug 9, 2022
Behind the net
Just listened a finnish podcast where Kekäläinen was a guest, said Laine is by far in the best shape ever. Said you can see it in the test results as well as on the ice. Also mentioned he and mr Johnny Hamandcheese have shown chemistry early on.

Slightly offtopic but they also talked about how Johnny is a great dude for Kent Johnson to learn from. And a great quote by Jarmo about the rumors of players "not wanting to sign in Columbus" was "Of course we can't talk about it in detail, but people need to understand that not every player has been offered a contract to sign, so thats why they have left."

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Just listened a finnish podcast where Kekäläinen was a guest, said Laine is by far in the best shape ever. Said you can see it in the test results as well as on the ice. Also mentioned he and mr Johnny Hamandcheese have shown chemistry early on.

Slightly offtopic but they also talked about how Johnny is a great dude for Kent Johnson to learn from. And a great quote by Jarmo about the rumors of players "not wanting to sign in Columbus" was "Of course we can't talk about it in detail, but people need to understand that not every player has been offered a contract to sign, so thats why they have left."
That was from the most recent "Kimanttia" -podcast by Stanley Cup winner Kimmo Timonen & Finnish NHL announcer & journalist Antti Mäkinen.

A lot of interesting stuff about Columbus by Kekäläinen, eg. he is expecting Texier back to Columbus next season.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
That was from the most recent "Kimanttia" -podcast by Stanley Cup winner Kimmo Timonen & Finnish NHL announcer & journalist Antti Mäkinen.

A lot of interesting stuff about Columbus by Kekäläinen, eg. he is expecting Texier back to Columbus next season.

I listened to it with interest. 😎

P.S. if without jokes, is audio translator?

gritdash60

Aug 9, 2022
Behind the net

Texier won't be around this season as that's the NHLPA agreement, and i don't know where you got the "expecting" for next season, it sounded more like he is hoping but not expecting him for the 23-24 season.

Simpon

May 13, 2021
There is more sauna specific stuf about Swedes: there are "saunas" in Sweden (they call them "bastu"), but they are usually pretty cold compared to Finnish saunas and often you aren't even allowed to throw water on the stove, which is the very point of sauna. Swedish saunas are quite a meme in Finland so that's the backgroud for Laine's comment.

(Btw. Nowadays I personally love not-that-hot-but-very-humid saunas while I do occasionally enjoy also those skin burning temps Laine is referring to. But it's also really relaxing to just hang out in a less hot sauna for a very long time, if there is a good fresh air. Dry saunas and saunas with foul air are awful, no matter how hot they are.)
Bastu is the cold place where finns change before sauna😂

LJ7

#80 #13
Mar 19, 2021
Ohio
I want to see him push to get 300 SOG off. Matthews had 348 last year. Laine had nearly 250 in 17-18 and 18-19. Gaudreau should help this but a lot of it will be on Laine's movement and conditioning too. He needs to take so many shots that it looks ridiculous out there. He also needs to battle hard and win a few pucks. There isn't a center in the organization that will save him from having to do that more. The Gaudreau-Laine line could be elite and we could still miss the playoffs, so they'd better be elite to give us a chance.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Matthews and Laine 2021-2022 (stats from MoneyPuck)

PlayerIce timeShot attemptsShots on goalMissed netBlocked by opp
Matthews1504 min599 (0.398/min)348 (58.1%)136 (22.7%)115 (19.2%)
Laine1054 min317 (0.301/min)167 (52.7%)71 (22.4%)79 (24.9%)

Just for comparison fwiw.
So if Laine is able to increase his shooting attempts by 1/3 and he stays healthy, that should result about 300 shots on goal (and probably 50+ goals...)

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
So if Laine is able to increase his shooting attempts by 1/3 and he stays healthy, that should result about 300 shots on goal (and probably 50+ goals...)

A big part of that is possession. Laine doesn't spend much time in the offensive zone. A lot of one-and-done rushes and failed entries. Gaudreau will help a lot with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad