Player Discussion: Patrik Laine IVever: a new hope? (Laine out of PAP, trade request still stands)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
So do you question as well Barkov’s summer training? Laine is training with him for already a third summer in a row. Barkov is known as a very hard training player and he wouldn’t even take a payer to train with him if he wouldn’t know that that player is really committed into training.

Laine’s problem was never that he wouldn’t train hard, but his problem has been his weak physique that doesn’t seem to take hard training very well without injuries. Especially his core (back and oblique both) have been causing him problems since he was a teenager. This is the only thing that I’m worried about when talking about Laine. Of course it’s not necessarily a small thing to worry about. And because of the risk of injuries, I think he should realize that it would be reasonable for him to settle for something hopefully under 9.0 millions per season.
I do like Laine. I think his shot is better than Ovies or Draisaitl.

That being said, a 9M$ player HAS to carry an average team above the playoff line no matter the division. Laine didnt check that box.

Teams that accept having 9m players that cant carry their weight are not where other players want to come. Getting a big anchor contract is the way to kill the reset and head to another rebuild.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I’d like to know the numbers they are talking.

If Jarmo is asking to take less is he offering something in the 7’s and Laine is low 9?

And was this pre Gaudreau signing?

That being said, a 9M$ player HAS to carry an average team above the playoff line no matter the division. Laine didnt check that box.

Teams that accept having 9m players that cant carry their weight are not where other players want to come. Getting a big anchor contract is the way to kill the reset and head to another rebuild.

Superstar money in todays league is 10+.

At 9 you have to be an elite 1st line player(40 goals/ppg) but if you want a player like that from the market you are looking at Gaudreau+.

& in the Atlantic no single 9M guy is carrying an average team to the playoffs.
There’s like 4 elite teams

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
$1.5m apart, hmm...

Is that a little or a lot? Right now I think it is a lot and I have my doubts that this gets done.

I'm going to pick back up that idea that we should just do a 2-3 year deal. Laine wants to be paid like one of the best players in the league, so let's let him prove it first.
If they are 1.5M apart AND Jarmo is offering 8.5M+, then that's a lot. But if Jarmo is offering 7-8M and they are 1.5M apart, that's on Jarmo, and not a lot.

Laine has arbitration rights, 7.5M as a baseline and an excellent last season where he was head and shoulders above other forwards, so I guess that even from arbitration he can expect having 2*8.25M deal that would lead him to UFA. So in that sense I don't think Laine's agent is content with some 8*8.5M deal.

The funny thing is that last year Laine was doing exactly that. With Laine, CBJ was making it into playoffs, but when he was injured, CBJ was not even close. (See jepjepjoo's message from this thread)

Ps. Even with Connor Freaking McDavid Oilers has missed playoffs 3 times, and they don't play on Metro. And they did have also Draisaitl most of the time.

Last edited:

tapi

Oct 25, 2009
Laine has averaged around 28 goals/82gp over the last 4 years, so it is very difficult to see Jarmo signing him for anything more than the 7.5, and even that hit on long-term deal could turn out ugly.

Last edited:

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
Laine has averaged around 28 goals/82gp over the last 4 years, so it is very difficult to see Jarmo signing him for anything more than the 7.5, and even that hit on long-term deal could turn out ugly.
You can call Laine out on many things including defense and play driving, but using scoring record as an argument is not the winning strategy. There's been one season where he wasn't on pace for 30 goals, and that was the one with Tortorella. Even with a 12 goal year on his record, he still ranks 14th in goals scored since entering the league.

At 24 years old:
+30 goal pace in 5 out of 6 seasons.
+70 point pace in 4 out of 6 seasons.

elmaco

Registered Hockey Fan
Feb 1, 2017

Absolute trash. One player is not nearly enough to carry any team.

behemolari

worst collapse in nhl history
Dec 1, 2011
I think he should accept 8 for playing with Gaudreau, the guy is for winning after all

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
Absolute trash. One player is not nearly enough to carry any team.
Let's think about this. Average team means you are at .500 and already very close to getting in. If such team doesnt get in hiring a 9M$ player and binding 10% of its all cap resources for years to come then what is the point of ever playing 9m to anyone?

This goes especially to Laine's case. I do think CBJ are average team without him. If they cant get in with Laine, is it worth it binding more resources to him? He is closing in on his prime and he is expected to be at his best now. Because of the insane shot his contract should age pretty well, but its still a risk since the result wasnt as expected.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
If Jarmo is offering around 8 and they are 1-1.5 apart I'm not so worried.

If Jarmo is offering 9M and they are 1.5 apart...

Well an offer sheet might be our best friend. IMO the only way Laine signs an offer sheet is by a team who gives him that extra 1.5.. which should give us 4 1sts

elmaco

Registered Hockey Fan
Feb 1, 2017
Let's think about this. Average team means you are at .500 and already very close to getting in. If such team doesnt get in hiring a 9M$ player and binding 10% of its all cap resources for years to come then what is the point of ever playing 9m to anyone?

This goes especially to Laine's case. I do think CBJ are average team without him. If they cant get in with Laine, is it worth it binding more resources to him? He is closing in on his prime and he is expected to be at his best now. Because of the insane shot his contract should age pretty well, but its still a risk since the result wasnt as expected.
Because the NHL is a business, getting a high profile player will bring you profits via ticket sales and merchandise.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
If he stays healthy he can do it without Gaudreau. With Johnny Hockey...

I mean that should be the consistent expectation.

Laine could do it on his own, but right now looking it’s more like here or there vs with Gaudreau is should be year round.

But one thing with Gaudreau is that Laine should be playing with full confidence game in game out.
So far he’s more like been on a crazy hot streak for 4-6 week lighting up everyone and then be more quiet.
With Gaudreau on his line should mean quality chances for Laine game after game and I’d love to see what it would do for Laines game and confidence.
What’s the damage he could do on a 82 game season

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
My guess is Jarmo is at $8M, Laine is at $9.5M and they end up at $8.5M or $8.75M
That makes the most sense and i hope it is so, because if Jarmo is offering 6-7m or Laine is asking 10-11m this could end badly.

Laine wants a Werenski deal and Jarmo wants more like Forsberg deal with less term

Last edited:

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
I think we also should go look back at previous high profile extensions by Jarmo.

Don't expect it to get done in July.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I think we also should go look back at previous high profile extensions by Jarmo.

Don't expect it to get done in July.
Its not just Jarmo, many of these big RFA deals that are about to pay for UFA years can be a battle

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
1.5 over 5-6 years is a lot. It might not sound like it, but it's almost a 10 million difference if you look at the whole contract.

It's probably not a gap that's impossible to bridge. But now that Gaudreau is in the fold, Laine has to do some searching on whether or not he wants to be paid well and grow here or get paid extremely well and go elsewhere.

I think they get it done, and Laine takes a "discount." But the longer it drags out the less certain I get.

If Laine is still unsigned by the end of July I think its trouble.
I think you'll know your answer this weekend. If the dates I'm seeing are correct, arbitration filing appears to be due on Sunday (7/17). Beyond that their qualifying offer expires 7/22 (doesn't mean they become UFA, just that the offer is not longer signable and negotiations would need to continue). So I would think we'll know something more this weekend, at least about the temperature of the negotiation and Laine's thought process.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad