Player Discussion: Patrik Laine IVever: a new hope? (Laine out of PAP, trade request still stands)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

DougKnowsBest

Feb 6, 2004
Newark, Ohio
Having this done before free agency would have been nice to help sell ourselves to the stud defensive defensemen we need

I keep seeing the “model” projections and recent comparables which are all 7-8 mil. And we are guessing he wants 9-10. I’m just not sure what to believe

Reactions: thebus88

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
When does Jarmo ever look for big FAs? Generally he looks for the forgotten guys like Nyquist and Kuraly.

I believe that's a good approach. Many of the big signings turn out to be expensive mistakes.

Eh he tries with the big free agents too. Just hasn't gotten a top free agent to bite since Nathan Horton (whoops).

The summer we signed Nyquist, we went all in on Zuccarello and he chose Minnesota over the Jackets. Nyquist was a fall back.

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
Now a 8m-9m deal sounds reasonable. Have to move Nyquist or someone similar for a late round pick but totally worth it. And Laine would be dumb to move on. Holy crap did NOT see this coming, but I guess he went BPA over need (center).

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Now a 8m-9m deal sounds reasonable. Have to move Nyquist or someone similar for a late round pick but totally worth it. And Laine would be dumb to move on. Holy crap did NOT see this coming, but I guess he went BPA over need (center).
I think in fact a center like Jenner would be pretty much what Gaudreu and Laine would need, if they are playing in the same line. Which I think should happen at least quite often, if Laine and Columbus do get a reasonable deal done, and Laine would stay in Columbus. Then gradually Sillinger or maybe even Johnson (maybe not so likely?) could be developed to center them?

Reactions: Marioesque

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
Other than issues with effort level, consistency, and overall skill issues, I’d say no reason at all.

When he's been healthy, he's been consistently elite.

Effort level eh? You mean he LOOKS to do less work than people with shorter limbs? Go figure.

He doesn't steal on defense, he makes his linemates better and scores goals at levels nobody in blue jackets has ever done.

I don't consider your Laine takes that seriously. You want a player that fits the image you have created for yourself as an impact player. It's someone who looks like they're working hard just skating in a straight line. Someone who talks about dropping gloves etc.

I care only about on ice results. The "lazy" guy you talk of is by far the best hockey player in the roster with potential higher than any player the team has ever seen, at times he has already shown it.

The only concerns about Laine that are actually legit arguments are questions about injuries. Outside of them, he's a superstar with 60+ goal potential. Your disagreement with him hasn't been about injuries, it's been about effort level, how he "looks" to you.

You would probably be happy with someone who looks to put effort into it and score 30 points a season rather than Laine putting up a 100 while "looking lazy".

Buy a better opinion, read between the lines. It doesn't matter what your subjective eye test suggests. You should know it has been absolutely wrong about his impact. You say he doesn't make people around him better, Boone Jenner looked like a world beater and put up career highs just like Wheeler did with Laine.

Facts don't care about your feelings. Laine makes CBJ better.
Extremely tired of this narrative. You want brawlers and plugs that skate hard and miss teeth, fine. I want the guy who affects the score. He does. Shush.

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
I think in fact a center like Jenner would be pretty much what Gaudreu and Laine would need, if they are playing in the same line. Which I think should happen at least quite often, if Laine and Columbus do get a deal done. Then gradually Sillinger or maybe even Johnson (maybe not so likely?) could be developed to center them?
Could be as early as next year with Sillinger. Especially playing on a line with those two could really speed up his development process.

probably jinxed it and now he will have a horrible sophomore slump.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Could be as early as next year with Sillinger. Especially playing on a line with those two could really speed up his development process.

probably jinxed it and now he will have a horrible sophomore slump.

Yup, and I would not write off KJ so eagerly. It might be a disaster who knows, but before I die, I really want to see Gaudreau-KJ-Laine line that @majormajor suggested on another thread.

My previous dream was to see Laine-Sillinger-KJ together (even for just like 5 games), but the offensive upside of Gaudreau-KJ-Laine could be otherworldy.

Last edited:

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
First up, still, is a desire to sign Laine, a restricted free agent, to a long-term contract. Does Gaudreau’s signing make it easier? It’s a fair question.

The Blue Jackets and Laine have discussed a variety of options, but the focus has been on a five- or six-year deal. The issue — isn’t it always? — is money, with the two sides believed to be approximately $1.5 million apart.

Kekalainen has made a plea to Laine and his agent, Andy Scott, to take a bit less money than he’d otherwise demand so that the Blue Jackets can surround the 6-foot-5 Finn with enough talent to build a winner. Players are naturally suspicious of this tactic, but the move to acquire Gaudreau should drive Kekalainen’s point home.

There’s also this: if you’re Laine, one of the NHL’s premiere puck-shooters, could you have a better situation than to play with either Gaudreau (75 assists last season) or Voracek (56 assists) at even strength, and possibly all together on the power play?

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
$1.5m apart, hmm...

Is that a little or a lot? Right now I think it is a lot and I have my doubts that this gets done.

I'm going to pick back up that idea that we should just do a 2-3 year deal. Laine wants to be paid like one of the best players in the league, so let's let him prove it first.
Is that 1.5 mill over whole deal , or per yr ?

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
$1.5m apart, hmm...

Is that a little or a lot? Right now I think it is a lot and I have my doubts that this gets done.

I'm going to pick back up that idea that we should just do a 2-3 year deal. Laine wants to be paid like one of the best players in the league, so let's let him prove it first.

I'm still hopeful they'll get 5+ years done at a caphit that works for the team. If it really comes down to that and is about the money, then I agree 2-3 years might be the way to go.

Keduzin

May 5, 2009
I’m sure they will get it done but it might have to be a shorter contract with less AAV.

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
1.5 over 5-6 years is a lot. It might not sound like it, but it's almost a 10 million difference if you look at the whole contract.

It's probably not a gap that's impossible to bridge. But now that Gaudreau is in the fold, Laine has to do some searching on whether or not he wants to be paid well and grow here or get paid extremely well and go elsewhere.

I think they get it done, and Laine takes a "discount." But the longer it drags out the less certain I get.

If Laine is still unsigned by the end of July I think its trouble.

Vapaatunnus

Feb 2, 2021
Pro
1.5 over 5-6 years is a lot. It might not sound like it, but it's almost a 10 million difference if you look at the whole contract.

It's probably not a gap that's impossible to bridge. But now that Gaudreau is in the fold, Laine has to do some searching on whether or not he wants to be paid well and grow here or get paid extremely well and go elsewhere.

I think they get it done, and Laine takes a "discount." But the longer it drags out the less certain I get.

If Laine is still unsigned by the end of July I think its trouble.
Problem is offer sheeting. There are some teams with cap space available for that and even though CBJ would call it, it is not a good approach. But I suppose that Patrik will sign as soon as CBJ has cap space available, also might be that the deal is already agreed but Jarmo doesn't want to publish it before he gets cap space cleared.

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
Pro

Problem is offer sheeting. There are some teams with cap space available for that and even though CBJ would call it, it is not a good approach. But I suppose that Patrik will sign as soon as CBJ has cap space available, also might be that the deal is already agreed but Jarmo doesn't want to publish it before he gets cap space cleared.
I said this before, but if Laine gets offer sheeted its going to cost that team at least 2 firsts. And it could be even more than that

And if that happens, the jackets quite easily let him walk. It would suck, but its the smart move.

Offer sheeting isn't the scary part. The scary part is if Laine and his agent file for arbitration. That's the worst case scenario and could end badly.

(Laine accepting his QO is also a bad scenario, but not the doomsday scenario it once was)

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
They keep talking of players who want be blue jackets. In this case, they would have to let a more committed player go I would guess.

Correct move might be to trade Laine now and maybe flip him into some extreme value player that could fit into the cap. Its a lot of work if they want to figure out the best move. Laine commitment and summer workout is one of the key issues and its not easy to figure out.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
They keep talking of players who want be blue jackets. In this case, they would have to let a more committed player go I would guess.

Correct move might be to trade Laine now and maybe flip him into some extreme value player that could fit into the cap. Its a lot of work if they want to figure out the best move. Laine commitment and summer workout is one of the key issues and its not easy to figure out.
So do you question as well Barkov’s summer training? Laine is training with him for already a third summer in a row. Barkov is known as a very hard training player and he wouldn’t even take a player to train with him if he wouldn’t know that that player is really committed into training.

Laine’s problem was never that he wouldn’t train hard, but his problem has been his weak physique that doesn’t seem to take hard training very well without injuries. Especially his core (back and oblique both) have been causing him problems since he was a teenager. This is the only thing that I’m worried about when talking about Laine. Of course it’s not necessarily a small thing to worry about. And because of the risk of injuries, I think he should realize that it would be reasonable for him to settle for something hopefully under 9.0 millions per season.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aurinko

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
$1.5m apart, hmm...

Signing a 3rd pair Dman on 4x4 deal really hurts your case if youre trying to get a good player to take 1,5m less

But tbh if Laine wants 10m and Jarmo offers 8,5m, Jarmo is right. If it's Laine who wants 8,5m and Jarmo offers 7m after giving 4m to a shit player, then it's fairly insulting

Vapaatunnus

Feb 2, 2021
Signing a 3rd pair Dman on 4x4 deal really hurts your case if youre trying to get a good player to take 1,5m less

But tbh if Laine wants 10m and Jarmo offers 8,5m, Jarmo is right. If it's Laine who wants 8,5m and Jarmo offers 7m after giving 4m to a shit player, then it's fairly insulting
I think they will settle to 8,5m-9m and 4-6 years. Patrik has always wanted to play with the best players so I don't think that he will skip this possibility to play with Johnny Hockey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad