Player Discussion: Patrik Laine IVever: a new hope? (Laine out of PAP, trade request still stands)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Easternbull

Nov 18, 2016
I'm not saying he is worth it, but Patrik still thinks he is as good as Mathews and can score a ton of goals woth the right supporting cast.

I have no info whatsoever to back this up, but IMHO Jarmo cant afford to not overpay Laine. Reetool becomes a looong rebuild if he does not resign.

Vapaatunnus

Feb 2, 2021
I'm not saying he is worth it, but Patrik still thinks he is as good as Mathews and can score a ton of goals woth the right supporting cast.

I have no info whatsoever to back this up, but IMHO Jarmo cant afford to not overpay Laine. Reetool becomes a looong rebuild if he does not resign.
So you have a star player who wants to stay in Columbus and makes team more interesting for others? I can't see that as overpayment.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I don't know where Patrik's agent started but somewhere, I forget where, there was information that Jarmo started at $8.2.

Easternbull

Nov 18, 2016
So you have a star player who wants to stay in Columbus and makes team more interesting for others? I can't see that as overpayment.
I dont think it is overpaymen!!

Give the man what he wants!!

He will score 50 goals with a real nr 1 pp quaterback and a true nr 1c at his side.

What would you be willing to pay a 40 goal scorer? With Buff feeding him and mostly Brian Little as his center Patty netted 40+ goals.

These days he is a far better allround player but has a lesser suporting cast IMHO.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

Yeah I’m going to disagree with you pretty heavily there

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Id only sign Laine 1 or 2x he would still be RFA at 26 right?
He's too risky to give a big long term pay day. I dunno I get the feeling once he's paid he will become less interested
No, this is his last RFA year. CBJ will sign him to a long term deal (ie. 5 years or longer). I'm not going to pay attention to this until it gets to Camp and he's unsigned. There's always posturing and I'm sure we're going to hear how disappointed he is and Jarmo is and yada, yada, yada...

Insert player here... same negotiation result.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Ultimately this really comes down to the build. Teams have a structure they would LIKE to build to and a cost for each position/player. Every $ change by player impacts another player or decision down the road. I think Laine is a critical piece to the long term build of this team (again, I'll say it... my opinion :) ). He's only going to be successful with a strong team around him so is he about buying into the team or buying into himself? He needs to be paid fairly but also needs to recognize there are others to pay in the near future or that to acquire more high end talent (that's gettting paid) there is a structure.

He'll sign, it will be a little higher than we like but the team will be able to work with it even if it means knocking a year off the deal.

Reactions: Ippenator and LJ7

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
No, this is his last RFA year. CBJ will sign him to a long term deal (ie. 5 years or longer). I'm not going to pay attention to this until it gets to Camp and he's unsigned. There's always posturing and I'm sure we're going to hear how disappointed he is and Jarmo is and yada, yada, yada...

Insert player here... same negotiation result.
but he's 24 I thought even if u play at 18 ur RFA till 26 right?
in that case then I would sign him 5x or longer just abit of a gamble because hes been known to take time off but he has all the skill in the world to be a top goal scorer/player

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
but he's 24 I thought even if u play at 18 ur RFA till 26 right?
in that case then I would sign him 5x or longer just abit of a gamble because hes been known to take time off but he has all the skill in the world to be a top goal scorer/player

No, you become UFA at 27 or after 7 NHL seasons. 22-23 will be Laine's 7th season.

Reactions: Arthur Morgan

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I dont think it is overpaymen!!

Give the man what he wants!!

He will score 50 goals with a real nr 1 pp quaterback and a true nr 1c at his side.

What would you be willing to pay a 40 goal scorer? With Buff feeding him and mostly Brian Little as his center Patty netted 40+ goals.

These days he is a far better allround player but has a lesser suporting cast IMHO.
I'm pretty sure no good negotiation occurs by just giving someone everything they want. A good negotiation should give both side SOME of what they want to compromise in the end. Unfortunately all negotiations always take way too long to resolve because both side never push the issue until time becomes a negotiating ploy.

I think we'll come to a fair agreement in due time. I'm not concerned. Laine said all the right things and I'd like to think he understands that if he wants to remain in a solid team environment and build into something bigger and better that it can't all be about getting paid. I don't think Jarmo is lowballing him at this point.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I'm pretty sure no good negotiation occurs by just giving someone everything they want. A good negotiation should give both side SOME of what they want to compromise in the end. Unfortunately all negotiations always take way too long to resolve because both side never push the issue until time becomes a negotiating ploy.

I think we'll come to a fair agreement in due time. I'm not concerned. Laine said all the right things and I'd like to think he understands that if he wants to remain in a solid team environment and build into something bigger and better that it can't all be about getting paid. I don't think Jarmo is lowballing him at this point.
Well unless you are Kyle Dubas. Gotta pay those stars and make sure they are happy and dont experience discomfort... Until you cant properly fill out the rest of the roster and continually disappoint on the ice

Last edited:

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
I don't know where Patrik's agent started but somewhere, I forget where, there was information that Jarmo started at $8.2.
I mean, you have to start at something, but $8.2M sounds lowballing, unless the term is 2 years, which it isn't, as it would make zero sense for CBJ. Arbitration would easily give Laine over $8M on 2 years so there is that.

Reactions: VT

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I mean, you have to start at something, but $8.2M sounds lowballing, unless the term is 2 years, which it isn't, as it would make zero sense for CBJ. Arbitration would easily give Laine over $8M on 2 years so there is that.

8.2 isn’t a lowballing start.
It’s more than he was making now by quite a bit.

Jarmo needs to give him room to work with

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
8.2 isn’t a lowballing start.
It’s more than he was making now by quite a bit.

Jarmo needs to give him room to work with
It simply isn't a realistic AAV to start with. I don't think that in the real world between professionals it's beneficial to try Scrooge McDuck tactics. But I might be wrong and I trust Jarmo knows his stuff better than me, an armchair GM.

Reactions: Ippenator

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
It simply isn't a realistic AAV to start with. I don't think that in the real world between professionals it's beneficial to try Scrooge McDuck tactics. But I might be wrong and I trust Jarmo knows his stuff better than me, an armchair GM.
I'm afraid it's the Jarmo way of doing business.
He's ticked off a lot of (RFA) players with his negotiations. I hope he gets a fair deal done soon.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

I don't think $8.2m is a Scrooge level offer. More like a typical opening bid when you expect to end up closer to $9m. It's a number you can make an argument for considering that Patty has either been injured or awful for most of his CBJ tenure. Obviously he will be paid for hope and that number will go up.

I'm afraid it's the Jarmo way of doing business.
He's ticked off a lot of (RFA) players with his negotiations. I hope he gets a fair deal done soon.

The RFA lowballs from Jarmo are all early RFA numbers. Like he put the screws to Josh Anderson on his first contract after ELC, but then when the player was approaching UFA, Jarmo was very close to giving him his current big money deal. He always said that the team holds the hammer on RFA deals and the player holds the hammer on UFA deals.

Reactions: CBJx614 and BB88

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

No good Gm starts from a realistic number, Laine won’t start from a realistic number either, doesn’t mean he’s looking for that money really but you give yourself breathing room.

8.2 starting price for Laine is not lowballing him by any means, superstar money is 10+ and Laine isn’t that caliber player.
So you start by 8.2 let’s say with a target of getting him around 9 in the end.

If you start with 9 there’s just no breathing space

5th Line Fanatic

Oct 2, 2020
$8.2 is definitely not a lowball offer, it's also nowhere near where this thing gets done.

I stick with the following that I wrote in February- "The trouble with Laine is he's already making a lot. I would assume he's going to expect at least a modest raise in order to sign even a short term deal. A 15% raise would take him to $8.625m. If Laine is willing to sign long term in Columbus and I'm his agent, I start with the Mitch Marner deal ($10.9m x 6) and negotiate from there. Jarmo starts at $8m and they meet at $9.6m which makes him the highest paid player on the team. I think that's what it would take to get a long term deal, otherwise he might as well see what the market will bear."

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
$8.2 is definitely not a lowball offer, it's also nowhere near where this thing gets done.

I stick with the following that I wrote in February- "The trouble with Laine is he's already making a lot. I would assume he's going to expect at least a modest raise in order to sign even a short term deal. A 15% raise would take him to $8.625m. If Laine is willing to sign long term in Columbus and I'm his agent, I start with the Mitch Marner deal ($10.9m x 6) and negotiate from there. Jarmo starts at $8m and they meet at $9.6m which makes him the highest paid player on the team. I think that's what it would take to get a long term deal, otherwise he might as well see what the market will bear."

He might as well, IF all he cares about is the money. I think there is the potential that some team would pay him that much, but probably a bad one that is taking a huge risk. Jarmo is not wrong that we have to think about having the money leftover to get more good players. If Patrik Laine is your one good forward then your team is average at best. I'm looking at the two teams on my screen right now, each with a few players that are unambiguously better that Laine, and yet Laine would be making more $$ than all of them. Many of those guys could have left to make more money elsewhere but they were persuaded that they were a part of something that could be great, and they left money for their teammates. We had to overpay Werenski to stop the bleeding, but I'm not doing that again. At some point you have to say that we have a chance to build something great here, do you want to be a part of it or not? I'd trade Laine if we can't get him under $9.6m. I don't think you can build a winner paying that much.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I don't know what Laine is worth except he is worth what ever a team is willing to pay. As I look at the Jackets salary cap situation I just don't see any reason to be concerned about a million dollars in Laine's deal.

First off Jake and his 8.5 mm are most likely gone in 2 years. That pays for all but 1 mm of a 9.5 mm deal for Laine.

Secondly I don't see any other 8 to 9 million dollar guy currently on the roster. Maybe KJ becomes that but I'll take the under on that one. In any case all of he young guys have one RFA deal before the serious stuff becomes a reality.

If the Jackets find themselves in a cap bind here are always trades, buyouts, LTIR ways out of the jam.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Secondly I don't see any other 8 to 9 million dollar guy currently on the roster.

It's definitely not a problem short term. If we were just talking short term deals that would be different. We would like to build a cup winner so let's think about what we want that cap structure to look like five years from now.

Maybe KJ becomes that but I'll take the under on that one.

Who knows, but I'm starting to think it will be the over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad