Player Discussion: Patrik Laine IVever: a new hope? (Laine out of PAP, trade request still stands)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Heard from sources that Luoto is actually a friend of Laine. They also played together in juniors in Tappara. I`d be comfortable with 8x 8,5M or 5x 8M
They are friends, that's true.

If Laine wanted 5x8M I guess the contract was done already. I guess Jarmo needs to pay more.

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
I'm not really sure why the Luoto signing would necessarily mean anything for Laine. It's only a one-year deal and a two-way contract. He might not even make the team and/or probably won't be here for long, so not sure why it'd impact Laine much on a long-term deal.

The only thing I can think of is Laine asked for his friend to be given a shot at the NHL again when his NHL opportunity seemingly passed him by, and the CBJ listened to Laine's request, so it'll help drive a bit more congeniality between club and Laine. That seems like kinda a stretch (particularly since relations between club and Laine already seem pretty cordial), but I guess more plausible/meaningful than Laine choosing to sign for 5-8 years because his friend signed a 1-year contract but he expects to play with his friend for 5-8 years.

ETA: I guess the one other possibility is I'm looking at it from the wrong direction. Rather than the Luoto signing leading to Laine signing, maybe it's the other way around (i.e., Luoto knows that Laine will re-sign/is close to re-signing, which is why Luoto chose Columbus).

LJ7

#80 #13
Mar 19, 2021
Ohio
ETA: I guess the one other possibility is I'm looking at it from the wrong direction. Rather than the Luoto signing leading to Laine signing, maybe it's the other way around (i.e., Luoto knows that Laine will re-sign/is close to re-signing
This is how I read it. I actually think that after his LIIGA playoffs stretch he'd have more organizations interested than us, as well as the option of just staying put. I feel like if he knew Laine wasn't going to stay here he wouldn't have signed.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
And it could be because other teams didn't offer such good agreement or wasn't interested in him. Don't forget CBJ has very good European scouting.

Vapaatunnus

Feb 2, 2021

Calendal

May 16, 2016
London, England
I'm not really sure why the Luoto signing would necessarily mean anything for Laine. It's only a one-year deal and a two-way contract. He might not even make the team and/or probably won't be here for long, so not sure why it'd impact Laine much on a long-term deal.

The only thing I can think of is Laine asked for his friend to be given a shot at the NHL again when his NHL opportunity seemingly passed him by, and the CBJ listened to Laine's request, so it'll help drive a bit more congeniality between club and Laine. That seems like kinda a stretch (particularly since relations between club and Laine already seem pretty cordial), but I guess more plausible/meaningful than Laine choosing to sign for 5-8 years because his friend signed a 1-year contract but he expects to play with his friend for 5-8 years.

ETA: I guess the one other possibility is I'm looking at it from the wrong direction. Rather than the Luoto signing leading to Laine signing, maybe it's the other way around (i.e., Luoto knows that Laine will re-sign/is close to re-signing, which is why Luoto chose Columbus).

Whatever the case, it’s almost certainly no coincidence that Luoto is coming to CBJ. He will probably stay with Laine again while waiting to get his own place.

DougKnowsBest

Feb 6, 2004
Newark, Ohio
Finnish article about golfing :P

"– Itse ajattelen, että nyt voisi välillä olla pidemmän sopimuksen vuoro, Laine tuumi torstaina."->"Personally I think it could be a time for longer contract"
Im shocked my phone can’t translate this

Anyone got a quick rundown on what the article says in general? I’ve found the finnish hockey press’ work to be very enjoyable and am curious about the piece for research porpoises

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

Anyone got a quick rundown on what the article says in general? I’ve found the finnish hockey press’ work to be very enjoyable and am curious about the piece for research porpoises

Regarding Columbus in short:

Says playoffs this year weren’t really realistic but within a couple of years their young talented roster will be on a totally different level.

Adds again that really likes the city and the direction the team is heading.

About the contract says ”I believe it’s time for a long term deal” and confident everything will get sorted out during the summer.

His training plan for offseason is clear.
Will continue training with Barkov when Barkov is ready, Barkov will plan everything and Laine follows, they’ll start hitting the ice couple of times a week in July.

About his own season:
In the end a positive feeling, feels that he was able to improve his game, take it to a step further.

Edit,
I really like that he’s training with Barkov.
Barkov is a monster at training and will do everything he can to improve and work on his weaknessess and having had Jagr as training mentor don’t hurt either.
In Turku at the beginning of Laines NHL career they didn’t spend time on the ice and he looked out of shape at the start of seasons even though he was in shape, just not in skating shape.

I believe in some interview in Winnipeg he talked about how he hit the ice late in summer for a couple of times in august/september.

So adding skating with Barkov is huge, especilly as Laine will get a full summer of training under his belt.

There’s not a better mentor for a player than Barkov in Finland.

Last edited:

gearmex

Dec 28, 2016
Finland
I think Kekäläinen signed Luoto because he had a hell of a Championship run and they won the Championship (Tappara) Side product plus is that he is Laines friend. Luoto is a gamer definitely, not a "Freebie" that just got inside because of Laine.

The 6-foot-3, 201-pound forward will give the NHL a second try in Columbus, after making his debut in 2019-20 with Winnipeg. Like Laine, Luoto, is coming off a rebound season after leading Tappara to a Liiga championship in that country’s top professional division.

Luoto had nine goals, five assists and 14 points in 27 games plus 8-9-17 during Tappara's championship run in the postseason, which earned him the Jarri Kurri Award as the league’s best player in the playoffs. His signing with Columbus was preceded by 24-year old defenseman Marcus Bjork signing a one-year, entry-level contract on May 5 with the Blue Jackets — adding another name to a deep collection of young blue-liners hoping to earn NHL roles.

Reactions: Monk

gearmex

Dec 28, 2016
Finland

He says that even if he no have contract, he would had played in Home games but he was injured so he could not. As they were thinking he did not play because hís contract was up, basically thats the main point in the article

Reactions: DougKnowsBest

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
No reason for concern at this point, but it doesn’t sound like a deal is close between the Blue Jackets and pending restricted free-agent winger Patrik Laine.

“It’s just one of those things,” Kekalainen said. “It’s gonna take some time, most likely.”

We’re told multiple terms have been discussed, but the bigger challenge will be keeping Laine at a reasonable salary-cap hit.

“They have their thoughts, and we have our thoughts,” Kekalainen said. “Our main thought is we want to make everything fit so that we can build a championship team. We believe in fair contracts, but the guys have to understand that they want to have a better team around them, too. That’s where there needs to be a little bit of a compromise.”

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
If only to free agency, it begins 07/13. It's 12-13 days. I think it's good time. Besides Patrik must understand he isn't UFA so if no deal Jarmo wouldn't trade him where Patrik would want but where Jarmo would want and that no team would pay him more than $8,8 millions dolars.

Vapaatunnus

Feb 2, 2021
Well, worst case scenario is arbitration... And that might also make some pressure to Jarmo, since after that deal Laine is possibly a free agent.

Easternbull

Nov 18, 2016
I'm not phsycic but I think Patty beleives he is Colombus best player and wont except less then the Werenski deal but for 5× years.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I would hope if the ask was in the 8s the deal would have already been done by now.. gut says Laine is wanting 9M+

It’s a negotiations.

Laine probably started in the 9’s and Jarmo high 7 or around 8 and they’ll work from there

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad