Player Discussion: Patrik Laine IVever: a new hope? (Laine out of PAP, trade request still stands)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 25, 2020
Hill Country
What I'm getting from these past few pages of conversation here is that Patrik Laine is only as good as his latest game.

I think point per game is pretty solid from him at this point.

I think he should be playing with Boone even if they're trying to bring in a so-called first line center , whoever that's going to be.

Maybe try to draft Kemell, so you can have two Finnish somewhat inconsistent scorers in the team. Maybe they could time their scoring droughts so that the other one would be scoring when the other one's not.

Keduzin

May 5, 2009
Wonder if he will play any games before the world championships or is he just resting for them ? First things first ….

Vapaatunnus

Feb 2, 2021
Wonder if he will play any games before the world championships or is he just resting for them ? First things first ….
He hasn't joined to national team if he hasn't been under contract, so I doubt that he will play at WC.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2011
What happens with Laine is the largest looming question regarding the current roster. Based on his most recent comments and those by JD, I’m feeling good about him be re-signed here beyond just next year. And I for one am sure hopeful that he is wearing a Jacket sweater in the years ahead.

gearmex

Dec 28, 2016
Finland

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio

Laine give big interview in Finland saying he has found his "Family" he love being in CBS and is certain they will renew, did not look that he cared that much about money in the interview.
Certainly said all the right things and sounds sincere. This team needs elite talent and I still feel he is that. His overall game improved, still needs more but definitely improved, but he has the ability to score 50 goals a year for many years to come. Adding the young talent can also take pressure off him as the only option (or maybe most focused option). The more the year moved on the less I felt he was trying to do everything himself. Still turns the puck over at times but even that improved. I've wanted him long term for quite some time and still feel he's part of the core and will continue to improve. I'd like to see at least a 5 year deal.

Reactions: murrough and Dumais

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I really want to see what he can do after another offseason with Barkov.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
If I understood correctly, it's not an interview for a Finnish newspaper, but Patrik's post-season press release, which the site translated into Finnish.

Reactions: LJ7

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009

Item No. 2: Summer of Laine

One of the major stories of this offseason for the Blue Jackets will be their contract talks with forward Patrik Laine, who became a foundational part of the club this season after looking like a square peg in 2020-21.

The early indications are good. Laine has left no mystery how he feels about signing an extension with the Blue Jackets. He’s privately told those close to him the same thing he’s expressed publicly on numerous occasions.

“I don’t think it should be an issue,” Laine said of a possible contract. “They have expressed that they want me here. I’ve said the same thing. So you know, the feeling is mutual. Just figure out the term and the money and all that and I think we should be fine.

“We have a great group of guys, guys I got to be really close with, and I’m excited about the youth we have and the opportunities we’re going to have in a couple of years. I definitely want to be a part of it and playing here, playing in front of these great fans. I love the city. I love everything about being here. So it’s that simple.”

The Blue Jackets haven’t hidden their desire to keep Laine around, either.

They bit the bullet last summer and extended a $7.5 million qualifying offer to Laine to maintain his rights via restricted free agency. Laine didn’t produce like a $7.5 million player last season, but no way GM Jarmo Kekalainen was going to surrender his rights to the player.

Remember, Kekalainen has known Laine for many years, even before the 2016 NHL draft, when Laine went No. 2 overall to Winnipeg. Kekalainen was wise to be patient, applying what he knew about Laine to the situation at hand.

“Even with the best hockey players in this league … it’s amazing what confidence means to them,” Kekalainen said. “And I think he was very low on confidence a year ago, in that season, for many different reasons. This year, when the ball started rolling in the right direction and he got more and more confident, you could see what the other end of the potential is, and it is great.

“So, I think he’s expressed he wants to stay here. We’ve said we want him to stay. Now, it’s just finding the common ground.
There is so much optimism around the Blue Jackets these days after a better-than-expected season and a wave of high-end talent joining the roster. There would be no better way to keep that going than to get Laine’s name on a long-term deal.

The Jackets have developed quite a reputation for contract drama through the years (Sergei Bobrovsky, Ryan Johansen, Josh Anderson, etc.), but maybe Zach Werenski’s tidy, well-executed extension last summer was the first indication that things have changed.

Ideally, the Blue Jackets would like to get Laine’s deal wrapped up quickly. They still own his rights as a restricted free agent for one more season, but it would behoove all parties if a deal could be struck without each side starting to exercise its leverage.

Here's another interesting part from the article:

• Wondered about this question for a while this season, and the season-ending interviews seemed the best time to ask it. Laine had a difficult season, including the unexpected death of his father, Harri, in November. Laine spoke openly and emotionally about how close he was with his father, how Harri would watch every game, even with the seven-hour time difference in Tampere, Finland. Losing a parent can be a devastating experience, leaving you forever changed.

The question posed to Laine was if the loss of his father brought him closer to his Blue Jackets teammates. This was his answer: “Yeah, I am sure it did. It’s been a pleasure coming to the rink every day. Everybody has been helpful with all that I had this year. Just always wanted to come back as soon as possible to these guys, and they have made it a lot easier for me, so I’ll always be thankful for everyone here. So yeah, that’s definitely a part of it, a big part of what I love about his team. It’s like a big family, family atmosphere, everybody cares about each other. That’s how it should be.”

summer tooth

Aug 10, 2020
It seems like a no-brainer to sign Laine since he actually wants to be here. Would be great if we could get sign him for something like 8 years.
This was from a while ago and probly already posted but:

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Do you go the 8 year maximum or try for 6 and sell him on a chance for a bigger payday sooner and longer? My guess is they'll go 8 & in the vicinity of Zach's deal. Risky but go big or go home time.

Reactions: Xoggz22

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Do you go the 8 year maximum or try for 6 and sell him on a chance for a bigger payday sooner and longer? My guess is they'll go 8 & in the vicinity of Zach's deal. Risky but go big or go home time.
Personally, I was thinking Jarmo might go the 5 year deal route (like others). I would be OK anywhere between 5-8 years and around Z's deal would seem like a good place to target.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I think 5 x $9,5-10,0. We have to remember that we aren`t Tampa or Florida, so we have to pay more, see Werenski's contract.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Personally, I was thinking Jarmo might go the 5 year deal route (like others). I would be OK anywhere between 5-8 years and around Z's deal would seem like a good place to target.
Yeah, 5 works but it has risk for both sides (as does any term). He is great gonna cost to keep him and if he doesn't do so well he leaves money on the table. Going to be interesting.

Reactions: Xoggz22
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad