Player Discussion: Patrik Laine IVever: a new hope? (CBJ, Laine agree to seek trade)

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
I'm surprised anyone is surprised. If anyone has ever needed a change of scenery it is Laine.
I'm not really surprised. There was enough smoke for it to be a possibility.

I just find it strange how fast this thing went this bad. Just last summer it was all positive with laine after another good year, a positive tryout at center, and taking a bigger role in the room by helping Fantilli.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I'm not really surprised. There was enough smoke for it to be a possibility.

I just find it strange how fast this thing went this bad. Just last summer it was all positive with laine after another good year, a positive tryout at center, and taking a bigger role in the room by helping Fantilli.

Laine's success here never felt more than touch and go for me. I never got past that feeling.

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Jul 13, 2022
Finland
I'd guess Canada + Utah, SJ, Philly. Maybe Sabres instead of SJ/PHI
I wouldn't necessarily be so sure that Utah is on the list (or won't be waived now). Utah is on the rise, some good hype, "smaller" market like Columbus which seems to fit Laine a bit, some Finnish players... but more importantly he could make a connection to other Finnish 'star' Lauri Markkanen/Utah Jazz. Markkanen is a bigger star than Laine everywhere (probably even in Finland these days). It could help Laine in some ways. No idea if they already know each other and they seem slightly different personality wise, but I think it all might add up to Utah being a market where Laine could possibly go if offered.
Frankly though IF the biggest reason Laine wants traded is because he doesn't like losing, that says more about Laine's mental state that we should want to move on from if possible.
Wait, I thought we wanted players who hate losing? :D :sarcasm:

Reactions: squashmaple

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I'd guess Canada + Utah, SJ, Philly. Maybe Sabres instead of SJ/PHI
Why would he have Philly or Toronto in the list if they weren't going to trade him there anyway. I'd rather focus on teams where there's a better chance to be traded.

Btw, Utah will not probably be in no trade list anymore.

DankoCBJ

Feb 19, 2022
At this point I am not even concerned what we can get in return of Laine trade. Atleast cap space if not anything else?

Just hoping he gets his sh*t together and enjoys life and hockey again.

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
Hoping he will head West. Don't let same conference team to take advantage of a potential buy low/sell high situation. Not saying that would be a likely scenario with Laine but it's possible nonetheless.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
Why would he have Philly or Toronto in the list if they weren't going to trade him there anyway. I'd rather focus on teams where there's a better chance to be traded.

Btw, Utah will not probably be in no trade list anymore.
Utah is still the Coyotes until proven otherwise. They'll probably suck for a while

Ice9

Jun 25, 2016
In the woods
He can suit up in the fall if necessary. " Well work with you on a trade ". Isn't "We'll give you away cause you have an issue and we're such great people". Its still business.

Maybe he can be responsible for rebuilding his status...

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
Blackhawks could be a fit they can take the full contract on without sending anything back. sound like out GM would like to upgrade there top 6. We have a few LD prospects Wyatt kaiser could be available. or maybe reichel.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

Waddell responded to an inquiry about the report Thursday morning, and he also spoke with the Dispatch last week about Laine, 26, who's been in the NHL/NHL Players Association’s player assistance program since Jan. 28 for undisclosed reasons.

“I want people who want to be here,” Waddell said last week. “That’s where it starts. That’s just a conversation I want to have. It doesn’t mean they’re going to go anywhere if they say, ‘No,’ because you’ve got to have two things for a trade. You’ve got to have a trading partner and you also need value ... what you think is equal value to who you’re trying to trade, regardless of who the player is.”

Reactions: Viqsi

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Well, I guess selling his condo did have some meaning. There will be some level of market but I don't think you'll see a deal any time soon. I'd first like to see him reinstated from the PAP. I don't think that will happen prior to the draft (I haven't seen it confirmed if they can be traded while in the program?). I would think teams will want to see him out of the program and understand his other medical position from his apparent shoulder clean up. We don't know how detailed that was and when he may even return from that...

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
I am going to miss Capfriendly so much...god these arm chair requests are so gold right now. You would think by now people would realize how fans see the game and FO see it are two different ways.

Reactions: Fred Glover

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
Blackhawks could be a fit they can take the full contract on without sending anything back. sound like out GM would like to upgrade there top 6. We have a few LD prospects Wyatt kaiser could be available. or maybe reichel.
the hawks have two extra firsts (NYI pick this year, TOR pick next year) – i don't think mid/late firsts have all that much value but i'd be open to moving laine for both of those.

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
Not sure if this was clear yeterday, misreported or I just missed it but Hedger is saying today that Waddell has yet to speak with Laine and the trade request came before he was hired.

Interesting...I mean it wasn't a secret that Laine did speak to Jarmo about a trade request and Jarmo basically laughed in his face about it saying you need to play better so I can trade you.

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
the hawks have two extra firsts (NYI pick this year, TOR pick next year) – i don't think mid/late firsts have all that much value but i'd be open to moving laine for both of those.
Considering it seems a large portion of social media thinks that Laine is only worth a $2 off coupon at Subway and a bag of pucks I think the most likely outcome is this. A late first, player and prospect for probably a 20% ish retained Laine.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
Considering it seems a large portion of social media thinks that Laine is only worth a $2 off coupon at Subway and a bag of pucks I think the most likely outcome is this. A late first, player and prospect for probably a 20% ish retained Laine.
the perception that laine has somehow been a bad or negative player is so far off-base. the availability/injury stuff is a real concern, but the idea of a healthy and bought-in laine on a team with a better supporting cast should be very appealing for other GMs.

here's his athletic player card from the last time he was healthy:
Screenshot-2023-04-03-at-11.18.23-AM.png

the market value on that card ($8.5m) is pretty dang close to necas in 22-23 ($9.1m) fwiw

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad