Player Discussion: Patrik Laine IVever: a new hope? (CBJ, Laine agree to seek trade)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Sponsor
Jul 13, 2022
Finland
Having mental issues, a fresh start makes a whole lot of sense. Once you hit that wall of feeling like you don't want to go to work/arena/anywhere, it's hard to get rid of that feeling without changing the circumstances. Much easier in a new place, zero baggage. Hopefully they can find a win-win trade for everybody.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
Well at least now we can have a summer full of speculation or maybe a big draft day deal.

Having mental issues, a fresh start makes a whole lot of sense. Once you hit that wall of feeling like you don't want to go to work/arena/anywhere, it's hard to get rid of that feeling without changing the circumstances. Much easier in a new place, zero baggage. Hopefully they can find a win-win trade for everybody.
Big early test for Waddell

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I don’t understand why he wants to leave when we have new management and likely new coaching staff
Like I said before, probably wants to start winning and is tired of being hurt.

Marian gaborik couldn’t stay healthy here either and was relatively fine after leaving. Sometimes it doesn’t work

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Like I said before, probably wants to start winning and is tired of being hurt.

Marian gaborik couldn’t stay healthy here either and was relatively fine after leaving. Sometimes it doesn’t work
The Jackets have a bright future and he’s an integral part of the core, besides, I think the athletic staff will also change

Strange timing to leave, to be honest

Reactions: Marioesque

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
He had a fantastic stretch after Christmas in Larsen’s first year. Other than that, it was mostly a mixed bag at best.
He had great stats in two seasons not only one. Also he played good all time after injury in the first season instead of tragical defense often AHL level (because of injury) and playing in 8 lines in the last season with Roslovic as a center, look there (end of site)

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
He has 10 teams where he can't be traded, I wonder if he'll stick with that or make a concession. That is, if it's true.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
He has 10 teams where he can't be traded, I wonder if he'll stick with that or make a concession. That is, if it's true.
If he wants to win he'll surely use that as a safety net to block all the bad teams. Alternatively he might just use that to close out Canada like many players apparently do.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Could be … or maybe Laine has told the team he wanted to be traded , losing wears on you .. and that’s why he sold his condo ? Hard to say , just an odd thing to throw out in a question “if he wants to be in Columbus “ . Regardless , neither him or JG are good defensively , and Waddell is saying 5 to 6 new faces , at the same point he felt defense is pretty set , possibly a tweak he said .
Got the sense this was the case when Bobby Mac said he could see Laine moved this summer .. and Waddell saying IF he wants to be here

GoJackets1

Someday.
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
Had a feeling this was coming. Hope we can find something good for both him mentally, and the team. I had him penciled into exactly zero mock lineups for next year so this won’t exactly hurt the team much in my eyes. Getting a middle-roster player back for him would be a win. Middle pair, defensively solid RD return would be fantastic. But as of now I expect something like a 2nd + cap dump unless Waddell can pull off a bigger deal somehow with Laine as a piece.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
Hopefully the return is good but hard to see that because of the turmoil of last few seasons. On the positive side the wing situation is decent even without him.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
We'll get pennies on the dollar for him but the freed up cap space is much more important to me than the trade return.

God that Bjorkstrand trade is somehow even worse now. Absolute misfire by Jarmo, twice.
How can you even make that comparison in hindsight? Might as well just curse Jarmo for signing him to an 8.7 cap hit last time too.

MissADD

Jun 21, 2018
Silvermoon City
Good to hear. Not because I wanted him gone or anything negative. We have answer and now we wait.
We'll get pennies on the dollar for him but the freed up cap space is much more important to me than the trade return.

How can you even make that comparison in hindsight? Might as well just curse Jarmo for signing him to an 8.7 cap hit last time too.

I disagree. The last 2 seasons when he played he basically averaged a point a game. Those don't pop up on the trade market too often. I think if they retain 25% they could get a decent return.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
God that Bjorkstrand trade is somehow even worse now. Absolute misfire by Jarmo, twice.
Did Jarmo have a crystal ball? He played better than Bjork. But I am never be happy because of Gaudreau signing, he was a reason Bjork had to be traded. And played worse.

Good to hear. Not because I wanted him gone or anything negative. We have answer and now we wait.

I disagree. The last 2 seasons when he played he basically averaged a point a game. Those don't pop up on the trade market too often. I think if they retain 25% they could get a decent return.
I'll be honestly surprised teams will want to take advantage of the situation. I'm not even sure about the first round.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
The bolded is a big hit to his value however. His mental state and proneness to injury is a lot for a team to take on an 8.7 cap hit for 2 more seasons without significant retention. I'm not sure 25% is enough but retaining 50% is way too much for my tastes.

We are probably going to have to take on a dump of a bad contract in return.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
I could see Boston interested. They could make one last run. Maybe a 3-way involving Ullmark.

Maybe we retain $2 mill and another team retains $2 mill, Boston gets Laine, the third team gets Ullmark, and we get a good, seasoned prospect (defensive D drafted in the 2nd round who has progressed well) from the third team.

I am not expecting an earth shattering return. I just want a decent piece to build with.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

Confirmed now that Laine wants a fresh start. Agent has informed Waddell about it.

Weird stuff from outside looking in tbh. A year ago there was such a positive feeling after a good season and the way he welcomed Fantilli to the team. Have to wonder what happened inside the team. Babs thing was obviously not good, especially if he was involved as the victim or even a whistleblower, but that can't be the only issue?
:banghead:

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Did Jarmo have a crystal ball? He played better than Bjork. But I am never be happy because of Gaudreau signing, he was a reason Bjork had to be traded. And played worse.
No. But he knew how important Bjorky was to the team (or, well, he should have).

That was a hard ass decision to make. Unfortunately he missed on it. It happens. But that was a pretty big misfire and definitely a factor into why he’s not here anymore.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
No. But he knew how important Bjorky was to the team (or, well, he should have).

That was a hard ass decision to make. Unfortunately he missed on it. It happens. But that was a pretty big misfire and definitely a factor into why he’s not here anymore.
Jarmo did not take Gaudreau, I think. He needs special players, can't play with anyone. Pity we can not trade either Nyqvist or Voráček before the season if Jarmo had to sign Johnny.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
Will Borgen from Seattle would be a half decent target in a trade like this in my mind. But I have no idea about how well he’s actually played. Seems like a decent defensive RD.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad