Player Discussion: Patrik Laine IVever: a new hope? (Laine out of PAP, trade request still stands)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Bobby Mac just said he could see Waddell moving one of Laine or JG .. leaning more towards PL of the 2 being moved . He referenced Waddell saying IF Laine wants to be here ..
Honestly, I don't understand too much. It looks like Waddell could move Laine if he wants to stay here, what is enough illogical. Do I understand correctly?

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022
I don't think it sounds like Waddell wants to trade Laine at all. It just seems to me that he is keeping an open mind. The only thing that he's been clear about wanting to do is improve the defense and that he would prefer to improve the team via trades or the draft instead of free agency. I don't expect Laine or Gaudreau to be moved this off-season.

Last edited:

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
I just thought the 'if' came from him not having talked to Laine yet.

Summer speculation will go crazy with even Bobby joining in, and throwing Johnny in the ring too
Could be … or maybe Laine has told the team he wanted to be traded , losing wears on you .. and that’s why he sold his condo ? Hard to say , just an odd thing to throw out in a question “if he wants to be in Columbus “ . Regardless , neither him or JG are good defensively , and Waddell is saying 5 to 6 new faces , at the same point he felt defense is pretty set , possibly a tweak he said .

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
Could be … or maybe Laine has told the team he wanted to be traded , losing wears on you .. and that’s why he sold his condo ? Hard to say , just an odd thing to throw out in a question “if he wants to be in Columbus “ . Regardless , neither him or JG are good defensively , and Waddell is saying 5 to 6 new faces , at the same point he felt defense is pretty set , possibly a tweak he said .
I honestly think the Condo is unrelated even if he has some hopes of a change of scenery. Big trades are rare so you can't sell a house blindly believing you wont be return. They just got a puppy too, so it makes complete sense to move away from downtown

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
The last season stats said something another. His problem was.... PP ... but not defense, playing without the puck.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
5-6? :huh:

The old roster (not by lines, just for approximate information about players)

Gaudreau - Voronkov - Marchenko
Johnson - Fantilli - Chinakhov
Sillinger - Jenner - Laine
Texier - Kuraly - Danforth
Nylander (he came later) - Olivier

Werenski, Boqvist
Provorov, Gudbranson
Bean, Severson
Blankenburg, Jiříček

Merzlikins
Tarasov
Greaves

O.K. we can trade players but whom for them? For example he can trade Bean but remember what Jiříček did. And if Mateychuk will look great in the camp... . :huh:

Whom trade from forwards. We can trade Laine but anybody would come on his spot. Also Marchenko, Chinakhov and Sillinger won't play in the AHL anymore, Johnson is RFA too and doubt he would resign if he plays in the AHL even only some games.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Because Laine played only 18 games, from this 5 as a center and 13 after concussion, I made the last season.

Lumii_20240611_015556885.jpg

Only Jenner and Nyquist had better HDGF% without him, and he had better without Gaudreau, Jenner and Nyquist (from forwards), Bayreuther, Blankenburg and Bjork were better without him, he was better without Gavrikov, Bayreuther, Blankenburg and Bjork from d-men.

On the other side, Gaudreau and especially Chinakhov, Marchenko and Johnson had great stats with him.

Lumii_20240611_021950977.jpg

Also CF%

Except Hutchinson all had better with him, he had better without Gaudreau, Roslovic, Johnson and Nyquist from forwards and Peeke, Gudbranson, Bayreuther and Bjork from d-men.

FF% again, except Hutchinson all better with Laine. He had better without Gaudreau, Roslovic, Johnson and Nyquist from forwards; Peeke, Gudbranson, Bayreuther and Bjork from X-Men.

I think it is very good.

P.S. I wrote player with 50 minutes and more.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
He's also said its much easier to fix defense and than obtain scorers. Which I believe to be true.

I don't believe our defense is close to being set for 1 second.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Because @majormajor likes other stats more, there are:

GF%

Lumii_20240611_041229534.jpg

All players had better with him and he has better without Gaudreau, Jenner, Johnson and Nyquist from forwards.

xGF%

Lumii_20240611_042335589.jpg

Only Gaudreau (minimum), Blankenburg, Bayreuther and Hutchinson played better without him. On the other side, he played better without Gaudreau, Roslovic, Johnson, Nyquist and Chinakhov (minimum).

Hmm, my first stats were more strictly towards him. :huh:

So, I think very good, very.

GF/60%

Lumii_20240611_043559629.jpg

xGF%

Lumii_20240611_043922639.jpg

Attachments

• Lumii_20240611_042020354.jpg
    Lumii_20240611_042020354.jpg
    329.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20240611-043721.png
    Screenshot_20240611-043721.png
    372.8 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: domi28

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Ah yes, a quick reminder of how stupid I think advanced stats and their useage are. Fun stuff
I was doing it as a demonstration of who has chemistry with who, I'm not a confessor advanced stats either. And the stats confirmed my eye test.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Every time I see this thread title my brain reads it as Patrik Laine Never a New Hope... just feels fitting given his struggles to stay healthy. Also fits the naysayers bunch a little better. Haha

Reactions: Monstershockey

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017

Confirmed now that Laine wants a fresh start. Agent has informed Waddell about it.

Weird stuff from outside looking in tbh. A year ago there was such a positive feeling after a good season and the way he welcomed Fantilli to the team. Have to wonder what happened inside the team. Babs thing was obviously not good, especially if he was involved as the victim or even a whistleblower, but that can't be the only issue?

Last edited:

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009

Confirmed now that Laine wants a fresh start. Weird stuff from outside looking in tbh. A year ago there was such a positive feeling after a good season and the way he welcomed Fantilli to the team. Have to wonder what happened
I truly just think it’s him tired of losing and tired of being injured. He gave it his best here. Just didn’t work

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
I truly just think it’s him tired of losing and tired of being injured. He gave it his best here. Just didn’t work
Yeah maybe. Two years straight he got injured early and the team was basically out of playoffs by the time he returned. Better team wont fix the injuries, but at least they won't be out of playoffs by the time he's healthy again.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Played great two seasons but so stupid injuries and not only him... .
Interesting, what is happen and if it is right.

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
Played great two seasons but so stupid injuries and not only him... .
Interesting, what is happen and if it is right.
He had a fantastic stretch after Christmas in Larsen’s first year. Other than that, it was mostly a mixed bag at best.

Reactions: NotWendell
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad