Player Discussion: Patrik Laine IVever: a new hope? (Laine out of PAP, trade request still stands)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Will Borgen from Seattle would be a half decent target in a trade like this in my mind. But I have no idea about how well he’s actually played. Seems like a decent defensive RD.
We can get 2+3 rounds and a player like Peeke/Roslovic (I only compare quality).

KCbus

Someday, we’ll have an NHL team.
Jan 3, 2010
Reynoldsburg, OH
Fine.

Laine plays very little defense, never fit into the system all that well, and is hardly on the ice anymore. Can't stay healthy, and now a concussion is part of the equation, which is beyond dicey.

Let's move him, and spend that money on someone who can actually play.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Never really fit stylistically. That's part coaching and part management not surrounding him with the right complementary players. He mostly played with....Roslovic and Jenner as his centers? Until trying to play center for a few games that is.

It's a shame because of all the injuries. Not sure we got him fully unleashed here. Perhaps he'll go be a 40 goal guy somewhere else.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Judging by the fan suggestions, I'm waiting to see when they offer us an AHL player and a 7th rounder. 😼

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
No. But he knew how important Bjorky was to the team (or, well, he should have).

That was a hard ass decision to make. Unfortunately he missed on it. It happens. But that was a pretty big misfire and definitely a factor into why he’s not here anymore.

Jarmo did not take Gaudreau, I think. He needs special players, can't play with anyone. Pity we can not trade either Nyqvist or Voráček before the season if Jarmo had to sign Johnny.
I think Bjorkstrand and Laine are completely unrelated situations. If Laine was healthy and scored 30+ goals a year and wanted traded, nobody would be trying to link Laine to Bjorkstrand.

This team has a culture issue that Jarmo probably created and fostered. He tied himself to players who are also part of this problem. It's a different discussion but under Jarmo's watch we had multiple players want to leave and/or enter the PAP. That's the biggest factor in why he's no longer in charge. We don't know why Laine wants a change of scenery and any discussion it it is hearsay and speculation.

Frankly though IF the biggest reason Laine wants traded is because he doesn't like losing, that says more about Laine's mental state that we should want to move on from if possible.

The next domino to fall is when Waddell has his discussion with Elvis and the pending decision to make a change of scenery there as well comes up from last season. it sounds like that should happen soon.

Reactions: Fred Glover

Ice9

Jun 25, 2016
In the woods
Id think he'd need to relax his no trade clause a tad IF he REALLY wants out. You want CBJ to kinda give you away but yet want to stay true to your clause. Ehhh...We'll see, maybe someone gets really stupid or has a major infatuation with Patty...

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
Id think he'd need to relax his no trade clause a tad IF he REALLY wants out. You want CBJ to kinda give you away but yet want to stay true to your clause. Ehhh...We'll see, maybe someone gets really stupid or has a major infatuation with Patty...

If they don't find a suitable trade then he could just as well play until they do.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2011
He had a fantastic stretch after Christmas in Larsen’s first year. Other than that, it was mostly a mixed bag at best.
Not really. He had back to back years averaging a point a game. Sadly both seasons were marred by injuries/missed games.

I’m an admitted Laine fan and sad to read about his likely departure, but with all that’s happened a fresh start is probably best.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
If he wants to win he'll surely use that as a safety net to block all the bad teams. Alternatively he might just use that to close out Canada like many players apparently do.
It would be 10 pre determined teams submitted before the season. He would have to submit the just each year. Maybe I misunderstand you, but he's can't pick and choose at the time of the year option if the team isn't in his list.

If he wants out, he'll waive if the fit seems right, even a losing team... on the rise

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
These are players with whom he played much time in the last season.

• 5 players have played in the AHL or in Europe
  • Marchenko, Johnson and Chinakhov were still inexperienced and Kirill did not so extremal %Shots anymore
  • Peeke has under average offense
  • Gavrikov, Gudbranson had average offense
  • Nyquist, Jenner and Roslovic have a little above average offense
  • only Werenski, Boqvist and Gaudreau had above average offense but he played minimum time with Zach and Adam and better without Johnny
Show me TOP players in other teams with similar teammates. Btw, we can say it about Gaudreau too.

Lumii_20240613_025525669.jpg

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
Spitballing some ideas:

Laine for Necas

Laine for 5OA (MTL) or 8OA (SEA)

Laine for Sam Reinhart (sign and trade after the playoffs end)

Laine for Brock Nelson

Laine + Sillinger + ‘25 1st for an extended Marner

Laine + Boqvist + ‘25 1st for Brady Tkachuk

And just for giggles…

Laine+Boqvist for Seth Jones

Laine+Provorov for PLD+Gavrikov

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Spitballing some ideas:

Laine for Necas

Laine for 5OA (MTL) or 8OA (SEA)

Laine for Sam Reinhart (sign and trade after the playoffs end)

Laine for Brock Nelson

Laine + Sillinger + ‘25 1st for an extended Marner

Laine + Boqvist + ‘25 1st for Brady Tkachuk

And just for giggles…

Laine+Boqvist for Seth Jones

Laine+Provorov for PLD+Gavrikov
giphy.gif

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Judging by the fan suggestions, I'm waiting to see when they offer us an AHL player and a 7th rounder. 😼
The vultures are inevitable. I've actually so far been pleasantly surprised by the offers folks have come up with; most of the people who would normally assemble such trash proposals are too busy going on and on about how he's of zero or negative value and that they would never ever bother to try blah blah blah smartest in the room et cetera et cetera.

Reactions: Indy18

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
Honestly I’m not expecting much in return with that price tag. Not only does he have the injury prone label, but he also is coming off apparent surgery. That’s on top of a poor season, among the other issues present.

I hope to be wrong but I guess we’ll see.

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
Honestly I’m not expecting much in return with that price tag. Not only does he have the injury prone label, but he also is coming off apparent surgery. That’s on top of a poor season, among the other issues present.

I hope to be wrong but I guess we’ll see.
I think there will be a lot of requests for him and these "what have you done for me lately" proposals are gonna be shocked when there is a decent return for him. PPG players, especially on weak offensive teams, don't come around often. Also these people who say he's bad in the locker room, quits on his team, always injured, GM will note that his injuries were more freak accidents/targeting events and won't take into as much consideration as some of these arm chair GMs think real FO do. That being said I do expect a decent potential return that is going to make people freak out (I would not at all be shocked if he's moved for a 1st round late pick, prospect and player or a large contract swap) but there's is gonna be a fair about of retention potentially.

Last edited:

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022
Not surprised but disappointed. I really wanted Laine and Columbus to give the rest of the world the finger next season, however unrealistic.

I guess I'll spitball some trade bases.
  • ANA: Gudas, Vatrano
  • BOS: Beecher, Ullmark
  • BUF: Samuelsson
  • CGY: Backlund, Kuzmenko, Coleman, Sharangovich
  • CAR: Necas (+ Kotkaniemi buyout?), UFA rights to Guentzel
  • CHI: Hall
  • DAL: Suter, Marchment
  • LA: Danault, Gavrikov
  • MIN: Rossi (throw in Sillinger?), Spurgeon
  • MTL: Dach
  • NSH: Kemell
  • New Jersey: Meier, Hamilton, Marino
  • NYI: Nelson, Pageau, Lee
  • NYR: Trouba + Chytil/Kakko for Laine and Gudbranson?
  • OTT: Norris
  • PHI: Frost/Cates (+ Atkinson?), Drysdale, Hart 😬
  • PIT: Pettersson
  • SJS: Ferraro, Bordeleau
  • SEA: Bjorkstrand, Gourde, Larsson, Eberle, Oleksiak
  • STL: Schenn, Parayko, Buchnevich (CBJ adds heavily)
  • TBL: McDonagh, Cirelli
  • TOR: Marner, Tavares
  • UTA: Schmaltz, Crouse, Durzi
  • VAN: Mikheyev (VAN adds), Garland
  • VGK: Hertl/Karlsson (CBJ adds or retains a lot), Theodore (CBJ adds a lot), Hague, Roy, Pietrangelo
  • WSH: Protas
  • WPG: Ehlers, Perfetti

Conclusion: I guess some of CAR, CHI, MTL, NYI, PHI, SEA and VAN could happen. The rest I highly doubt.

Well, maybe VGK. To them his injury proneness is a plus, as long as it's in the regular season.

Last edited:

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
meh

Can't say I'm that surprised and a fresh start makes a ton of sense even without knowing any details, but sucks anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad