Player Discussion: Patrik Laine IVever: a new hope? (CBJ, Laine agree to seek trade)

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
I don’t see Columbus getting to first for a guy who played 18 games last year and only paid 50 games two years prior. When u factor that and his contract. Unless they’re taking a bad contract back.
don't make me tap the "he was a legit first line wing the last time he was remotely healthy" sign again

you know what, screw it, i'm gonna tap the sign

Screenshot-2023-04-03-at-11.18.23-AM.png

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022
But for now they don't have Arm Chair trade proposals forum saying Laine at 50% for a 5th round pick is all he's worth...its my dirty pleasure watching the Canadian fans just think everyone else their farm team and if the player is in a rut they are washed or if they are not a superstar by the time they can legally drink a beer in the states they are a bust...*cries*
Holy moly, I just went and checked over there. I especially love the ones saying that he is basically worthless and then proceeding to put him in their top 6.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Just more fuel to the fire that this organization was a trainwreck under Jarmo here at the end of his tenure. Not trying to speculate any specifics but can players use the PAP as a loophole to avoid playing for the organization they no longer want to be a part of?

Half of HF CBJ is now checking out the terms of their Employee Assistance Programs because of this post.

• Haha
Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Just more fuel to the fire that this organization was a trainwreck under Jarmo here at the end of his tenure. Not trying to speculate any specifics but can players use the PAP as a loophole to avoid playing for the organization they no longer want to be a part of?
Nobody can use the PAP. Also he has really problems, Gaudreau and Werenski confirmed it.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Nobody can use the PAP. Also he has really problems, Gaudreau and Werenski confirmed it.
Not sure about that.

The program has a purpose. We don't know why he chose to enter the program. We don't know if how he was feeling treated by the organization at the time plays into why he chose to enter the program.

We live in a time where the league rules allow Mark Stone to be injured and then his return is timed with the start of the playoffs multiple times and people on all sides will take advantage of loopholes if you find them.

All we know he was on the verge of a return and then he left the road trip, entered the program and now he had asked for a trade before entering the program.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
Afaik the process involves completing some sort of planned program. I'd imagine there's easier ways to avoid playing. Fake concussion symptoms or something

And isn't there like penalties if you sign up and don't follow the program? I think Nichuckin just lost a lot of money for failing a drug test a good while after getting back on ice. I imagine might be similar punishment for skipping planned on theraphy sessions

Last edited:

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Afaik the process involves completing some sort of planned program. I'd imagine there's easier ways to avoid playing
I'm sure.

I'm not saying he's faking or anything but perhaps some sort of interaction with the FO was the final straw and spurred him to make that decision.

I think through the course of a program the counselors involved could spot a bullshit artist if there was one and remove them from the program if anyone tried it on purpose for not valid reasons.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I'm sure.

I'm not saying he's faking or anything but perhaps some sort of interaction with the FO was the final straw and spurred him to make that decision.

I think through the course of a program the counselors involved could spot a bullshit artist if there was one and remove them from the program if anyone tried it on purpose for not valid reasons.
Put it this way - I can see some interaction with the FO leading him to that decision, but I don't think that necessarily makes it a "final straw" or a "bad thing". Could just as easily have been "we'll keep an eye out for possibilities, and in the meantime have you considered this 'cause we'd back you on it" I mean, historically JK and JD weren't exactly shy about recommending sports psychologists and the like with star players; just ask Bob.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
I'm sure.

I can definitely see Jarmo being way too blunt for someone who's on the breaking point. Especially when he was in the brink of losing his job at the time. All around bad time to have a calm and reasonable conversation.

I'm beating a dead horse again, but hiring Babs does reflect on how you manage the team. I'm not saying Jarmo is a bad person, but his priorities were reflected in that decision

Reactions: Iron Balls McGinty

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Put it this way - I can see some interaction with the FO leading him to that decision, but I don't think that necessarily makes it a "final straw" or a "bad thing". Could just as easily have been "we'll keep an eye out for possibilities, and in the meantime have you considered this 'cause we'd back you on it" I mean, historically JK and JD weren't exactly shy about recommending sports psychologists and the like with star players; just ask Bob.
I guess this means Laine will have a coming in about 5-6 years then if it all works out the same way. :sarcasm:

On the flip side of that, I feel like them mentioning a sports psychologist to Bob seems more like them selfishly asking for their and the team's benefit whereas asking Laine to get some help for any mental struggles would be more out of concern for the player regardless of the team success.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
Speaking of sports psychologists, I don't know if anyone watches that Full Swing show on Netflix, but season 2 episode 3 was pretty interesting. Joel Dahmen and Wyndham Clark were both struggling with their games and a sports psychologist was recommended to each. Dahmen refused because of past experience, Clark refused at first, but then became receptive and started seeing one. The differences in what happened were striking. Not saying it would work for everyone, but Clark turned it around and Dahmen spiraled down further, to the point his caddy was ready to walk unless he saw someone. Interesting show.

Reactions: ThirdPeriodTurtle

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I can definitely see Jarmo being way too blunt for someone who's on the breaking point. Especially when he was in the brink of losing his job at the time. All around bad time to have a calm and reasonable conversation.

I'm beating a dead horse again, but hiring Babs does reflect on how you manage the team. I'm not saying Jarmo is a bad person, but his priorities were reflected in that decision

Eh, Laine is the type to prefer honesty.

The only thing I wonder about with respect to Laine and the team staff is whether he was allowed to come back from his concussion too soon. The smarter play was to shut him down for a while and we did not make that decision.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Won’t catch me badmouthing Laine … Clearly Jarmo was a huge issue here , I’m guessing personally and professionally . He was here what 10 years , we basically lacked a legit center that whole time aside for a brief period of PLD/ Duchene … Laine and Gaudreau come here , and Boone Jenner is centering them ? Pretty amazing incompetence when you think of it .

As for Laine , have to think Necas and Laine may make sense for both teams .. saw this on YouTube ….

IMG_0004.png

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
Won’t catch me badmouthing Laine … Clearly Jarmo was a huge issue here , I’m guessing personally and professionally . He was here what 10 years , we basically lacked a legit center that whole time aside for a brief period of PLD/ Duchene … Laine and Gaudreau come here , and Boone Jenner is centering them ? Pretty amazing incompetence when you think of it .

As for Laine , have to think Necas and Laine may make sense for both teams .. saw this on YouTube ….

View attachment 882337

I just can't see Laine being a player that Brind'amour wants but Laine and Boqvist going to Carolina for Necas just makes too much sense especially as both organizations know the value of all players involved and both GMs want to "make their mark" with their new teams/role. Also Necas to me is a winger but he also covers the concern of a center for a short term as Fantilli/(Lindstrom) develops for the next year or two. Also when has players being in the player assistance program devestated a player's value or this an "LOL COLUMBUS" issue as if anything as a person in the FO I would be ENCOURAGED by a player coming off a program like, especially since its wasn't based off legal issues.

Sidebar...one of my best hires was someone coming off an assistance program due to stress/mental health concerns and nobody else wanted to touch them but I knew how well their potential was even with their "issue". Once they refocused/had a clear head compared to their previous job they did insane amount of productive work and did better than my initial potential of them coming straight out of college a few years before that. Hell they were so productive they are now my equal elsewhere in a shorter amount of time working! Sometimes a fresh organization/team does wonders for a person.

Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I'm personally happy that Laine is going to get to a new home where he can start fresh, and it will be a better situation for the Jackets as well, where we can focus on getting our young players in positions to succeed. They need that ice time. In that context I don't think the return is very important, the separation is good in itself.

Having said that, the return might end up being good. Especially if we wait until the first week of July. After clubs balk at paying the top free agents for 7-8 years, Laine's two year commitment is going to look very enticing.

I just can't see Laine being a player that Brind'amour wants but Laine and Boqvist going to Carolina for Necas just makes too much sense especially as both organizations know the value of all players involved and both GMs want to "make their mark" with their new teams/role. Also Necas to me is a winger but he also covers the concern of a center for a short term as Fantilli/(Lindstrom) develops for the next year or two.

This is kind of unpractical for Carolina though. Boqvist is an overpaid equivalent of the DeAngelo types they can get for free.

Laine they'd want but he's not great value given his tendency to get injured. I think they're interested but for Necas we'd have to give them a substantial plus (which Boqvist is not) on top of Laine.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia

View attachment 882337

Bad trade, Nečas does not have such value.
We will see maybe Laine changes his solution now.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I'm personally happy that Laine is going to get to a new home where he can start fresh, and it will be a better situation for the Jackets as well, where we can focus on getting our young players in positions to succeed. They need that ice time. In that context I don't think the return is very important, the separation is good in itself.

Having said that, the return might end up being good. Especially if we wait until the first week of July. After clubs balk at paying the top free agents for 7-8 years, Laine's two year commitment is going to look very enticing.

This is kind of unpractical for Carolina though. Boqvist is an overpaid equivalent of the DeAngelo types they can get for free.

Laine they'd want but he's not great value given his tendency to get injured. I think they're interested but for Necas we'd have to give them a substantial plus (which Boqvist is not) on top of Laine.
I think many of us overrated our young guys. Btw, young... Marchenko is only two years younger, in his age Laine played more better here without such good offensive d-men and not better partners, Voronkov too, Chinakhov three years younger. Not fact Johnson will be so good. I do not trade them, especially Voronkov, but be realistic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad