The Roster Thread, Summer 2024

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Nice. I feel like you're a veteran of the Great Power Wars of May-June 2024, so I get it.

I don't agree that Power is or should be untouchable. But he definitely is the type that appears untouchable until the day he gets moved. He's a excellent piece, I just don't know about the long term fit here.

Either way, I think Utah is likely our best trade partner this off-season.
Utah may very well be desperate for high-end D-men, and they have one player that Buffalo seriously lacks the caliber of - Crouse. I see a trade partner for sure, and maybe it could be a case (for once) that Buffalo can be trading from a position of strength with a team that is more on the desperate side.

Byram for Crouse makes a ton of sense to me...+/- some minor pieces.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Nice. I feel like you're a veteran of the Great Power Wars of May-June 2024, so I get it.

I don't agree that Power is or should be untouchable. But he definitely is the type that appears untouchable until the day he gets moved. He's a excellent piece, I just don't know about the long term fit here.

I'm pretty adamant about giving him more time, patience paid off with Dahlin and it will for Owen. He's too good for it not to happen, but yes there's parts of his game we'd like to see more of.

Reactions: Fjordy and Dingo44

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC

For what? Why?

Anyone want to bet me that Power does not get traded this off-season? Make me an offer.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
The word is that Necas only wants out because he wants to play center, not wing. Your lineups should all take that into consideration. The shiny new big-ticket guy is going to get what he wants.

He's going to be 3C until at least January. Let's hope it works better than the Marcus Johansson experiment.
This has been falling on deaf ears around here, he's terrible defensively and terrible in the faceoff circle, he's not exactly the 3C we need.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Guentzel and Lindholm, seriously? You don't need those old guys' contracts. And none of those guys are coming to Buffalo.

The upside to Necas is his age, but other than that, yeah, he doesn't change our offense that much, even though he's a proven player compared to Savoie or Kulich. I still like Zegras better. And the best bet is to go for McGroarty.

How is the best bet to improve our team next season to get a guy with 0 NHL games?

Let's take a step back and talk about what are the core issues of the team.

The core issues are:

Poor defensive zone play.
Lack of Physical play
Lack of compete
Lack of leadership
Bad Special teams (average PK, bad PP)

McGroarty solves zero of these problems next year. He may longer term. But not next year. He's a prospect.

Lindholm would certainly help with defensive impacts at ES.

Guentzel would bring elite finishing be an immediate upgrade on our PP as well as above average two way play.

Is it realistic to think they would sign here? Probably not. But I would rather take immediate results, deal with the cap implications in a few years, rather than give up both cap space and assets and not resolve any of our core issues.

Reactions: Jim Bob

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
This has been falling on deaf ears around here, he's terrible defensively and terrible in the faceoff circle, he's not exactly the 3C we need.
Tage isn't exactly a world beater defensively or at the dot, just sayin, its not the be all end all if he can drive a secondary scoring line offensively, and perhaps show some improvement in those areas. Cozens will doing a lot more matchup heavy lifting this year, Don't care which one you call the '2c' or '3c'. Add a 'defensive' 4c too and I don't see it as much of a huge problem perhaps as others. But we're probably getting ahead of ourselves at this point. Maybe he'd be a huge fail there, maybe not idk.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
You should be. Impossible to know how Terry impacting all this too.

Something to ponder about Necas. Rob Brind'Amour doesn't believe he can play centre but the player does. If the Sabres buy into that, who you going to trust. I'll take the coach in Carolina. They want this deal, don't be penciling him at centre.
I can’t find anything saying he is leaving because he wants to play center - I saw that he’s leaving because he wants a bigger role.

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
I'm pretty adamant about giving him more time, patience paid off with Dahlin and it will for Owen. He's too good for it not to happen, but yes there's parts of his game we'd like to see more of.
I agree for the most part. I tried to note in my OP on OP that I think he's obviously a good player with a bunch of ceiling still.

I just feel like the roll of the dice we got with our two 1st overalls - two puck-moving LHD - wasn't so lucky and there may come a time when it's appropriate to alter the roster build that has resulted. It's probably not this off-season, but if this season fails and Adams gets canned, I wouldn't be buying any #25 jerseys.

I'm very interested in Crouse and Cooley (as is everyone). Every good player is untouchable until they're not.

For what? Why?

Anyone want to bet me that Power does not get traded this off-season? Make me an offer.
For other things we need? Because we might need them more?

Nobody said it's likely that Power gets moved this off-season. It's just worth a thought experiment when news comes out that a new franchise loaded with assets is looking for something we have 2-3 of.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
It's rumor season: Utah wants a top pair D.

Disclaimer: I don't hate Power. I think he is solid now, has more potential, and will grow into his contract just fine. I do have concerns about his non-exit defensive game, especially how it will fare in the playoffs. And my preference isn't to build through an expensive, top-heavy D.

What's the offer from Utah for Power? Could be a bigger deal from our side. It starts with Crouse+.
6+ Crouse+ for Powef/Byram+11+

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Yes, if you stay watch and literally stop there. They resemble each other. If you go any deeper into the ground than grass, they aren’t like each other at all.

Seriously, the JFresh charts are the worst. People really believe Skinner is in the 96th f***ing percentile of even strength offense?
Jeff Skinner has beat him in points, goal totals either tied or more in every season except this last one, so Skinner at age 30 and 31 was a more dynamic offensive players than Necas entering his prime on a stacked team.

Jeff Skinner (Age 30) with 33 goals and 30 assists for 63 points
Jeff Skinner (Age 31) with 35 goals and 47 assists for 82 poinrs

Martin Necas (Age 23) with 14 goals and 26 assists for 40 points
Martin Necas (Age 24) with 28 goals and 43 assists for 71 points

Those graphs probably aren't too far off, you're just so gun ho for Martin Necas you're blind to everything else.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
I agree for the most part. I tried to note in my OP on OP that I think he's obviously a good player with a bunch of ceiling still.

I just feel like the roll of the dice we got with our two 1st overalls - two puck-moving LHD - wasn't so lucky and there may come a time when it's appropriate to alter the roster build that has resulted. It's probably not this off-season, but if this season fails and Adams gets canned, I wouldn't be buying any #25 jerseys.

I'm very interested in Crouse and Cooley (as is everyone). Every good player is untouchable until they're not.

For other things we need? Because we might need them more?

Nobody said it's likely that Power gets moved this off-season. It's just worth a thought experiment when news comes out that a new franchise loaded with assets is looking for something we have 2-3 of.

Having two elite puck moving defensemen is a problem - for absolutely nobody.

And we're not trading Byram for Crouse either. Adams doesn't move Mittlestadt for Byram just to trade him for Crouse.

Honestly - some people act like Crouse is the second coming of Brendan Shanahan in his prime.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I don’t think you’ll find many Carolina fans who would agree that necas relies on others to drive his offense. From all the time I watch him, it is the opposite—he creates and drives offense on his own

Ivr not watched enough of NRC's on yhid..being a play driver vs passenger ot something in between

Where did I see it G per 60 ES was similar to Girgs

Ivr bern saying this all off season. No QO/arbitration because hrs played 200+ g hes going yo gey morr thsn QO amount. Like near 3.

Sign him for 1.5

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
How is the best bet to improve our team next season to get a guy with 0 NHL games?

Let's take a step back and talk about what are the core issues of the team.

The core issues are:

Poor defensive zone play.
Lack of Physical play
Lack of compete
Lack of leadership
Bad Special teams (average PK, bad PP)

McGroarty solves zero of these problems next year. He may longer term. But not next year. He's a prospect.

Lindholm would certainly help with defensive impacts at ES.

Guentzel would bring elite finishing be an immediate upgrade on our PP as well as above average two way play.

Is it realistic to think they would sign here? Probably not. But I would rather take immediate results, deal with the cap implications in a few years, rather than give up both cap space and assets and not resolve any of our core issues.
McGroarty plays a physical game, he's good around boards and the net, he's a versatile and smart player who seems NHL-ready. In fact, he ticks a lot of boxes.

But that doesn't mean it's just McGroarty. We could also get a 3C, a top-6 wing, a few fourth liners.

I think it's a lot better than trading Power for Crouse or paying 30 year old Guentzel and Lindholim 10M x 7Y and 8-9M x 7Y.

SabresFanNorthPortFL

Sponsor
Aug 9, 2007
North Port, FL

Disclaimer: I don't hate Power. I think he is solid now, has more potential, and will grow into his contract just fine. I do have concerns about his non-exit defensive game, especially how it will fare in the playoffs. And my preference isn't to build through an expensive, top-heavy D.

What's the offer from Utah for Power? Could be a bigger deal from our side. It starts with Crouse+.
But would you do Crouse for Byram straight up????

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Tage isn't exactly a world beater defensively or at the dot, just sayin, its not the be all end all if he can drive a secondary scoring line offensively, and perhaps show some improvement in those areas. Cozens will doing a lot more matchup heavy lifting this year, Don't care which one you call the '2c' or '3c'. Add a 'defensive' 4c too and I don't see it as much of a huge problem perhaps as others. But we're probably getting ahead of ourselves at this point. Maybe he'd be a huge fail there, maybe not idk.
The thing is we don't need more of the same with Tage at center when it comes to faceoffs or not being stout defensively, we need centers that can bolster Tage by taking heavy DZone minutes, you can't just rely on Cozens to do that alone. I'm not trying to dump on Tage because he has gotten better defensively and wasn't terrible on the PK whereas Necas is terrible at both of those things.

Necas is a one dimensional player, he either plays the wing or he's a waste of a space on the roster. I don't see why Buffalo need's to be his center experiment. If he could play center, Brind'Amour would have had him playing there.

We always think we can change a player and make them better but sometimes they just are who they are.

carpbflo12

Oct 9, 2020
Since Avs signed Mittelstadt, they may have to trade Ross Colton. He appears to be a good target to trade for. 3C high energy player that is signed for reasonable $$, 3 more years at 4M/year. Cost Avs a 2nd round pick last year to acquire. We can easily afford cost to acquire and $$. I think this is a type of player that would be ideal in our lineup.

Reactions: HOOats

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011

Poking the bear 🐻

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Since Avs signed Mittelstadt, they may have to trade Ross Colton. He appears to be a good target to trade for. 3C high energy player that is signed for reasonable $$, 3 more years at 4M/year. Cost Avs a 2nd round pick last year to acquire. We can easily afford cost to acquire and $$. I think this is a type of player that would be ideal in our lineup.

He remains a wild card to me. Because he is almost unknown and even Avs fans can't really say anything. He is decent at FO, but weak on defense. They didn't trust him on PK and PP. As they said, he is an average 3C in the league. Maybe it could work, but then someone like Benson would have to cover him.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013

Ross Colton and Mangiapane would be my trade targets for sure. Both play with energy, Colton is exactly what we need at 3C, high energy and bang the body would work real good with Benson I would think and Mangiapane is strong defensively and can score 40 to 50 points. Pair him with Cozen and Quinn and watch that line become absolutely shut down with an offensive bite. Did you see Mangiapane with Cozens for team Canada?

Calgary fans seem to think we could get Mangiapane with a 3rd round pick. I would do it.. then get Colton.. those two players are a huge difference already to the makeup of this team.

It would still leave enough cap space for an absolute shut down 4C for heavy dzone lifting and room for a winger like Kane.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad