The Roster Thread, Summer 2024

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
Having two elite puck moving defensemen is a problem - for absolutely nobody.

And we're not trading Byram for Crouse either. Adams doesn't move Mittlestadt for Byram just to trade him for Crouse.

Honestly - some people act like Crouse is the second coming of Brendan Shanahan in his prime.
Come Friday, two D will have gone 1.1 in the last ten drafts. Both to us. That's an anomaly and not a positive one. It doesn't mean Dahlin isn't an excellent player and Power a good player with room for more. It just means that we lack certain star power up front that lotto winning teams usually get. I'm interested in altering that construction.

But apologies for brainstorming ideas to shake up our goofy, soft, young roster by looking at our goofiest, softest, youngest player (who would return a ton in a trade).

PS. Crouse is very good, very rare in today's NHL, and the most Panthers-like player we could realistically acquire (not Brady Tkachuk). This roster needs a poor man's Brendan Shanahan more than anything else.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
. Crouse is very good, very rare in today's NHL, and the most Panthers-like player we could realistically acquire (not Brady Tkachuk). This roster needs a poor man's Brendan Shanahan more than anything else.
He's a 40 point winger and it would be very weird to trade Power for him. I'd trade for McGroarty instead, he could be like Crouse but better in future and maybe a center.

Reactions: Dingo44

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
But would you do Crouse for Byram straight up????
I would. I also would have done Mitts for Crouse straight up, even though Mitts was my favorite guy on the team. We can't talk needing to go heavier then balk when a trade would send a C for a W who scores 10-15 points fewer. We haven't had a player like him in 30 years.

Mitts-Byram-Crouse are a pretty fair triangle trade to my eye. I know people were down on 22yo Byram, but when the upside is considered he's still a strong piece.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Come Friday, two D will have gone 1.1 in the last ten drafts. Both to us. That's an anomaly and not a positive one. It doesn't mean Dahlin isn't an excellent player and Power a good player with room for more. It just means that we lack certain star power up front that lotto winning teams usually get. I'm interested in altering that construction.

But apologies for brainstorming ideas to shake up our goofy, soft, young roster by looking at our goofiest, softest, youngest player (who would return a ton in a trade).

PS. Crouse is very good, very rare in today's NHL, and the most Panthers-like player we could realistically acquire (not Brady Tkachuk). This roster needs a poor man's Brendan Shanahan more than anything else.
You could probably get Crouse for other assets than Owen Power. I know Utah wants a #1 defensemen but maybe they also want a depth defensemen and would be interested in Jokiharju + a 2025 3rd

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
This ongoing obsession with trading some of our most valuable roster players for a different type of roster player is mind boggling.

They need to ADD talent to the roster. Not rearrange deck chairs losing value on deals because you like a player type better.

If someone will take a futures package for a player…I’m all in. Let’s get him. Do it now. Take things giving this on ice team no value this year and add something of great value for now. Yes.

The goal is to improve the roster. Not shuffle the holes.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
GMs need to swing big.

Zito did it with Matthew Tkachuk. And Reinhart. And Bobrovsky. And to a lesser extent Bennett and Montour.
All those players wanted out or the writing was on the wall, big difference.

Brady Tkachuk is the face of the Ottawa Senators and is not being shopped.

Would they trade him? Maybe for a massive massive overhaul, more than it took to acquire any of those above mentioned players.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
Idk. I think wingers in UFA that could be interesting for top6/9:

Marchessault
DeBrusk
Toffoli
Bertuzzi
Teravainen
Foegele
Arvidsson
Noesen
Joshua
Sherwood
Amadio
Think I read LA is in on Debrusk, hard to choose Buffalo winters over sunny LA (unless your Ullmark :D

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
All those players wanted out or the writing was on the wall, big difference.

Brady Tkachuk is the face of the Ottawa Senators and is not being shopped.
Whatever, he found undervalued players on the market and built a championship team.

Think I read LA is in on Debrusk, hard to choose Buffalo winters over sunny LA (unless your Ullmark :D
Well then you move on to another name from the list, plus look at the trading options.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
Who are you referring to? Our top forward prospects have 2 to 3 yrs of waiver exemption left. I think Johnson is the closet on defense and he has 1 or 2 years left.

View attachment 887985

I didn't say decisions will start next season. Kulich, Rosen, Ostlund, Neuchev, and Savoie will all have their waivers expire in the next 2-3 years. Waivers aside, I doubt these prospects are going to be happy playing in the AHL for 2-3 seasons while other young guys like Benson, Quinn, and Peterka are blocking their path.

And I'd rather not be in a place where we're trying to break in multiple rookies on a bottom 6 role, so I think it makes sense to try and stagger our pipeline.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Whatever, he found undervalued players on the market and built a championship team.
I get that but what I am saying is non of the trades Zito did was forced by Zito, it was from players forcing themselves out or teams going in a different direction and he traded the assets needed to acquire them.

Brady Tkachuk is not in either of those categories at the moment.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I get that but what I am saying is non of the trades Zito did was forced by Zito, it was from players forcing themselves out or teams going in a different direction and he traded the assets needed to acquire them.

Brady Tkachuk is not in either of those categories at the moment.
My bad, I didn't even know we were talking about Tkachuk.

Although why not, wasn’t there smoke that Tkachuk wanted to leave?

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
This ongoing obsession with trading some of our most valuable roster players for a different type of roster player is mind boggling.

They need to ADD talent to the roster. Not rearrange deck chairs losing value on deals because you like a player type better.

If someone will take a futures package for a player…I’m all in. Let’s get him. Do it now. Take things giving this on ice team no value this year and add something of great value for now. Yes.

The goal is to improve the roster. Not shuffle the holes.
Unless the shuffling is skinner for a more dynamic offensive-focused player…that they don’t want. Might as well keep skinner!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad