Player Discussion: Patrik Laine IVever: a new hope? (CBJ, Laine agree to seek trade)

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I say not only is Laine not moved this weekend/start of UFA, but he’s on the training camp roster in September.
Don Don won't trade him for a bowl of lentils or beads. Which he made pretty clear. So I won't be surprised if Patrik actually starts in Columbus next season too.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
I think if we get rid of his contract without retainage we take what we can get.
I fear with his issues he may not be tradeable without retainage and at that point it's a matter of do we allow him to be a distraction or retain and get best offer.

Something like 3 options:
1. Trade him for another bad contract
2. Trade him and a 3rd round pick with no retainage for a prospect (likely from draft class of 2020-2022 that has not stepped up)
3. Trade him and 50% retainage for 2nd round pick

IN my mind if we could get #2 I do it. I don't want his contract on the books for multiple years, too many other holes to fix without tying up a few million dollars.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Deep down I do think GMDW will end up with a hockey trade here. While I know Laine has had his struggles with health in Columbus he has shown an improved 2-way game (yeah, I know, not a selke candidate) and other GMs know he still has the elite shot (just moved away from using it for some reason). He did score at close to PPG pace playing on awful Columbus teams. I think GMs see players for who they were and can be, and recognize the risk level has changed with him but he's not useless and there is SO much upside that some GMs are tantalized by that. They will need to speak with him to know if he has the fire to play and what has lead to his challenges while in Columbus.

I don't think we break the bank with a home run deal but I don't think he leaves as a dump or any chump change deal. I feel a hockey trade will work - one that does reflect some level of risk/reward. If that means some retenetion, I think that's OK for 2 years

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Most likely nobody, but who knows if they retain or talk through the agent. He could be out of the program but not reported?? Silly season.
True. We don't know what kinds of records they have to review prior to a trade. At least with physical injuries you can review medical reports, see x-rays, etc. before making a trade.

Youngguns80

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
True. We don't know what kinds of records they have to review prior to a trade. At least with physical injuries you can review medical reports, see x-rays, etc. before making a trade.
One would assume the agent is advising Laine the best time to get a trade is now. DW also mentioned Laine is coming out of the program in a few days in his presser 1 week ago.

I would speculate that DW and ET (GM Hurricanes) probably talked about Laine (him and Aho played well together) as a possible back up if Guentzel falls through. They probably put a time constraint on it - like this weekend. The player possibly coming the other way could be Necas, pick?, another prospect? This is from reports that yesterday that the CBJ were watching the Necas situation (don't know if that was speculation or known)

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
But what team would trade for a guy they can't talk to?
Kings?
Blake has had interest in Laine in the past & has shown he's willing to gamble on players recovering.

Cap: King's have the cap to fit him at full price.

Return: Todd hates Kaliyev, so probably stay away from him.

Right shot: Arvidsson is leaving. That leaves Fagemo, that they don't play & Laferriere, who doesn't have the greatest shot. Doughty has an ok slapper when he hits the net. King's REALLY need a right shot on the PP.

Timing is bad. King's need to make an add in free agency & fill out some depth spots. Toffoli might be brought back as a fallback plan. Adding Laine's full cap hit would effect the amount the King's have to fill out the roster. It would be nice to know ahead of free agency.

Hope Laine the best & hope CBJ has a good season! I've been critical of Todd & am still angry about the JAD thing. 1 goal, 3 assists & Todd just wouldn't stop playing him. Todd did manage to get Kempe to breakout into an actual top 6 player so there are some positives. Todd's shown the ability to get teams playing well. Hope it works out in CBJ.

NotTooWideArena

May 20, 2021
I think he would trade him for a bowl of lentils. As gross as that sounds.

But no one will trade for him until they can at least talk.
I think if Don-Wad could trade him to a Western Conference team without retaining any salary he would probably let the trade partner keep their lentils.

But yeah, some level of access probably has to exist to help lubricate the process,

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Negative. I think he starts with Columbus

Prepare for him to be traded at any moment now
Also wanted to follow up and say this isn’t because of “because we’re Columbus and nobody wants him” type thinking. It’s more that

1. We know ownership doesn’t like to retain salary.
2. To my knowledge we have never retained any salary on a trade on anyone that wasn’t a deadline trade and expiring at the end of the year.
3. With that belief ownership won’t retain, Waddell is dealing even more shorthanded than the situation calls for.
4. Waddell may rather cut his losses and try to rectify the situation (like with elvis) and have him try to rebound under a new coach. And move him later; rather than trade him straight up for another bad contract and a draft pick or something.

Reactions: Viqsi and VT

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
Laine was considered the best offensive player in the team a year ago. Pretty sure any gm would rather keep him for the start of the year than trade him away for nothing. Upside in value for the team is massive if Laine plays well to start the season, and trade discussions move away from the uncertainties

Reactions: VT

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Kings?
Blake has had interest in Laine in the past & has shown he's willing to gamble on players recovering.

Right shot: Arvidsson is leaving. That leaves Fagemo, that they don't play & Laferriere, who doesn't have the greatest shot. Doughty has an ok slapper when he hits the net. King's REALLY need a right shot on the PP.

Timing is bad. King's need to make an add in free agency & fill out some depth spots. Toffoli might be brought back as a fallback plan. Adding Laine's full cap hit would effect the amount the King's have to fill out the roster. It would be nice to know ahead of free agency.

Hope Laine the best & hope CBJ has a good season! I've been critical of Todd & am still angry about the JAD thing. 1 goal, 3 assists & Todd just wouldn't stop playing him. Todd did manage to get Kempe to breakout into an actual top 6 player so there are some positives. Todd's shown the ability to get teams playing well. Hope it works out in CBJ.
It's cool. Us fanbases who've had to deal with PLD need to stick together, y'know. ;)

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Also wanted to follow up and say this isn’t because of “because we’re Columbus and nobody wants him” type thinking. It’s more that

1. We know ownership doesn’t like to retain salary.
2. To my knowledge we have never retained any salary on a trade on anyone that wasn’t a deadline trade and expiring at the end of the year.
3. With that belief ownership won’t retain, Waddell is dealing even more shorthanded than the situation calls for.
4. Waddell may rather cut his losses and try to rectify the situation (like with elvis) and have him try to rebound under a new coach. And move him later; rather than trade him straight up for another bad contract and a draft pick or something.
I don't disagree with most of this but my only counter point would be to point #2... We have bought out players with multi year dead money (Wennberg still on the books) so I think it would all depend on what the amount looks like and the return. I don't know that it's a dead end with ownership, but certainly not the preference.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
Kings?

Good pitch, seems like a nice fit . And judging on his wardrobe, I bet Laine would love the luxury side of LA

Last edited:

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
FYI - we have rumors on the Jets board about potentially bringing Laine back. I came here to check what you guys think about it and was surprised about the a) apparently clear plan of Wadell to get him out ASAP and b) No mentioning yet about those rumors connected to us. 3 different Media people mentioning his name - not necessrily big time Insiders. But still.

Some users have asked "but what team would be interested?" - Not all of us on HFJets agree but I am in the camp of thinking Chevy would definitely be open to at least talk about it/talk to Patty. Problem is you would definitely need to retain salary.

Last edited:

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
FYI - we have rumors on the Jets board about potentially bringing Laine back. I came here to check what you guys think about it and was surprised about the a) apparently clear plan of Wadell to get him out ASAP and b) No mentioning yet about those rumors connected to us. 3 different Media people mentioning his name - not necessrily big time Insiders. But still.

Some users have asked "but what team would be interested?" - Not all of us on HFJets agree but I am in the camp of thinking Chevy would definitely be open to at least talk about it/talk to Patty. Problem is you would definitely need to retain salary.
Clearly this is a situation that would come down to the Jets speaking with Laine when he exits the PAP and Laine waiving his NTC (which I'm just guessing may have the Jets on it - who knows). I have not looked at the Jets roster, but Waddell has been very clear that he wants a hockey trade and PREFERS not having to retain, but I don't think it's out of the question if the return makes sense. As he said...everyone is playing nice in the sandbox at the moment. We really won't know what this looks like until Laine is released from the PAP. The thing with the CBJ is they are not currently pressed for CAP space and I think they would hold Laine unless it became an untenable situation like it did with PLD.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad