Player Discussion: Patrik Laine IVever: a new hope? (Laine out of PAP, trade request still stands)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
He can be an incredible asset to a line and a powerplay still. Health is the biggest concern with him but there will certainly be some teams that aren't scared of that. Roughly a PPG player here on a team that he really did not fit well on. We can absolutely get a good player or a few solid ones for him.

His first season here set him behind the 8 ball in terms of fan perception, but after that he played good hockey for us. He doesn't fit here and it is far easier to picture our lineups without him, but he is good.
If Patrik does not fit here, I hope more players here will not fit well on. :cool: Btw, he played good in defense too.

Reactions: domi28

BergevinBurner

Sep 27, 2019
From a Columbus perspective, would there be any interest in a trade with Montreal centered around 5th overall+roster player(for cap reasons) in return for a Laine+Johnson package?

I'm not sure which direction the Jackets are headed, but with the 4th overall, Fantilli, Jiricek, Marchenko, etc... in the system I'd assume a youth movement/rebuild is probably the way to go.

With 4th and 5th overall Columbus could end up walking away from the draft with any 2 of Lindstrom/Demidov/Sennecke/Dickinson/Silayev/etc... and Montreal would add 2 NHL ready assets to help accelerate their rebuild

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
From a Columbus perspective, would there be any interest in a trade with Montreal centered around 5th overall+roster player(for cap reasons) in return for a Laine+Johnson package?

I'm not sure which direction the Jackets are headed, but with the 4th overall, Fantilli, Jiricek, Marchenko, etc... in the system I'd assume a youth movement/rebuild is probably the way to go.

With 4th and 5th overall Columbus could end up walking away from the draft with any 2 of Lindstrom/Demidov/Sennecke/Dickinson/Silayev/etc... and Montreal would add 2 NHL ready assets to help accelerate their rebuild
Waddell wants to compete this season but....I mean....id be tempted.

Basically guaranteed two of Lindstrom/Demidov/Sennecke...

Johnson still has a lot of potential and he could be on the edge of a breakout season.

BergevinBurner

Sep 27, 2019

Johnson still has a lot of potential and he could be on the edge of a breakout season.
That's a big part of why I could see Montreal being interested. Dach's health is a massive question mark going forward, so adding a guy like Johnson would give some much needed insurance at 2C in the event that Dach misses significant time.

If Waddell is deadset on competing next season though then I guess that trade's probably off the table unless they think the guy they'd take at 5 could be NHL ready as soon as next season.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
That's a big part of why I could see Montreal being interested. Dach's health is a massive question mark going forward, so adding a guy like Johnson would give some much needed insurance at 2C in the event that Dach misses significant time.

If Waddell is deadset on competing next season though then I guess that trade's probably off the table unless they think the guy they'd take at 5 could be NHL ready as soon as next season.
KJ isn't exactly someone you go after to play center, he might end up at center... But he hasn't played center in Columbus yet.

Reactions: BergevinBurner

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

We did try KJ at center, and I can't remember how many games in to the experiment his shoulder went out on a faceoff. He's a very smart player but physically maybe never going to be ideal for center ice. I'm thinking more of defensive coverage than faceoffs, I see him thinking the game well at both ends but not having enough strength for it.

Reactions: BergevinBurner

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I'm pretty sure the fresh start he is seeking is not related to the head coach.
Not fact. He wanted the fresh start when Jarmo was a GM and Vincent a head coach. Now GM is Waddell and if a head coach would be excellent, all is possible. We will see.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
He was a healthy scratch by PV so anything is possible. I tend to agree with you on this and think he simply wants to move on, but maybe things weren't all that rosy with PV and Patrik.

That's the kind of fragility we should hope to move on from. Regardless, I doubt that's driving Laine's thinking on this.

Reactions: Xoggz22

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022

Not going to lie, Lindstrom + Demidov/Sennecke sounds very tempting. However, the grass is always greener on the other side. Fantilli + Demidov or Johnson + Lindstrom sounds quite good too.

EDIT: Damn it, now my mind is conjuring up scenarios where Columbus get the 5th and 10th overall for packages around Laine + Johnson and Provorov + Sillinger, respectively, to get Lindstrom, Demidov AND Sennecke. It will be good to have the draft over and done with, so that such insane hypotheticals regarding shiny new toys can go away.

Last edited:

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
That's the kind of fragility we should hope to move on from. Regardless, I doubt that's driving Laine's thinking on this.
The game, when Patrik Laine was healthy scratch, was on the anniversary of his father's death. I think this may have been the reason he wanted to play so badly.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
I'm going to be very interested in the return for Laine.
I'm guessing with large retainage we could get something (if he does appear ready to play)
If Jarmo was still the GM I would expect him to be traded for another problem contract.
With new leadership I would guess they are hoping for small retainage and a lesser return.
Fans likely won't like it - I mean on paper Jarmo won every trade it seemed (just the issue always was it's not about winning trades, it's about winning). But just getting the right guys off the bus and the right guys on will make the team better.

Reactions: Fred Glover

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2011
I'm going to be very interested in the return for Laine.
I'm guessing with large retainage we could get something (if he does appear ready to play)
If Jarmo was still the GM I would expect him to be traded for another problem contract.
With new leadership I would guess they are hoping for small retainage and a lesser return.
Fans likely won't like it - I mean on paper Jarmo won every trade it seemed (just the issue always was it's not about winning trades, it's about winning). But just getting the right guys off the bus and the right guys on will make the team better.
Yes, I’m still amazed Jarmo was able to bamboozle a GM for a 2nd and 3rd for Bjorkstrand. :sarcasm: (Still bitter over that one).

But agree he generally did well on trades when he did pull the trigger though he fell in love with a few prospects - more like suspects - who ended up worth nothing because he couldn’t part with them before they showed themselves as having diminished value.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad