Player Discussion: Patrik Laine IVever: a new hope? (Laine out of PAP, trade request still stands)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
the perception that laine has somehow been a bad or negative player is so far off-base. the availability/injury stuff is a real concern, but the idea of a healthy and bought-in laine on a team with a better supporting cast should be very appealing for other GMs.

here's his athletic player card from the last time he was healthy:
Screenshot-2023-04-03-at-11.18.23-AM.png

the market value on that card ($8.5m) is pretty dang close to necas in 22-23 ($9.1m) fwiw
Yeah which is why we need a Capfriendly replacement ASAP...I am going to miss my free entertainment soon and it makes me sad...

MissADD

Jun 21, 2018
Silvermoon City

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023

That where you will want to go now.
But for now they don't have Arm Chair trade proposals forum saying Laine at 50% for a 5th round pick is all he's worth...its my dirty pleasure watching the Canadian fans just think everyone else their farm team and if the player is in a rut they are washed or if they are not a superstar by the time they can legally drink a beer in the states they are a bust...*cries*

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
But for now they don't have Arm Chair trade proposals forum saying Laine at 50% for a 5th round pick is all he's worth...its my dirty pleasure watching the Canadian fans just think everyone else their farm team and if the player is in a rut they are washed or if they are not a superstar by the time they can legally drink a beer in the states they are a bust...*cries*
yeah my counter to all of that would be "laine at 50% should be enough to get #7oa from ottawa so i don't have to choose between lindstrom and sennecke" lol

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
You know I'm over there every day arguing like a fool.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
The market will figure itself out.

That being said, there are people who over value him and people who undervalue him. The only value that matters is what the other 31 GMs in the league think.

Nobody will question what he can bring when he's healthy but injury history and his mental state are important things to be aware of in his value.

Reactions: VT and Marioesque

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Rangers fan coming in Peace...

Quick question for the CLB fans. I know Laine has played both positions, i believe even Center at some point. With that said, where did he play primarily 5on 5? Was that at LW or RW. Also on the PP was he PP1 or 2?

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia

Quick question for the CLB fans. I know Laine has played both positions, i believe even Center at some point. With that said, where did he play primarily 5on 5? Was that at LW or RW. Also on the PP was he PP1 or 2?
He said that feels better as LW but Torts said he played better as RW. Although he is quite a good as a center.
PP1 I think.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017

Prefers RW, but coaches seem to prefer him as LW to help his defensive game. Has played on PP1 at Ziba's position for most of his career. Don't think he'd fit well into Rangers 1PP unless there's some other major trades

Reactions: Lion Hound

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I've been thinking about how I'm thinking about this. On one hand, I've supported Patrik and whatever stuff he's needed to manage via the PAP. Good for him for acknowledging that he needed it. I certainly hope the best for him as a person, and had held out some hope that he would return to the CBJ lineup and, as someone suggested above, give everyone the middle finger.

However, I've also been a pretty harsh critic of his as a member of he CBJ. I recognize the stats that have been shared that indicate he's a significant contributor in the scoresheet. You'd hope for that. But to my mind, I struggled with the idea, oft-repeated, that he was an elite talent. I haven't seen it, and I certainly didn't/don't want him paid like one, at least not in Columbus. I know stats tell some things very plainly, but to me he very rarely jumped off the page so to speak. Not never, but not frequently. I don't ever feel like what I was seeing in his stat line contributed in any sort of meaningful way to the improvement of the team, nor even to his linemates. I admit I wasn't a huge fan of his in Winnipeg, but whatever hope I had that he would make a lasting impact never came to fruition. His tenure in Columbus has been, to me, disappointing. I'm sorry about that for those who are fans of the player. I guess I'm just not.

So I'm kind of glad for this, assuming it's true. I'm not even worried if he might grow into something in another organization. I'm just done worrying about if or how it could happen here. I won't be happy with a middling return, but at the same time I don't expect a king's random, either. I just hope this his moving on works out best for him and for the CBJ.

Last edited:

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017

That's interesting. Opens up a slight chance for things to be salvaged with good people skills. Patty being in a better place mentally could also help.

But also from his interviews it sounds like Waddell seems to have hard time getting in touch with Laine. Dunno if the Assistance Program has something to do with it, or could Laine just be so out of it that he doesnt even want to talk

Last edited:
Reactions: LJ7 and Viqsi

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
purely speculative here, but that makes me wonder if jarmo asked him to submit the teams on his NTC or said he's not in their plans. could've been the tipping point for him to enter the PAP.
Also purely speculative but what if whatever issues he was having with the team re mitigated by his time in PAP and he comes out with a different view of his future?

Reactions: Viqsi

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
That's interesting. Opens up a slight chance for things to be salvaged with good people skills. Patty being in a better place mentally could also help.

But also from his interviews it sounds like Waddell seems to have hard time getting in touch with Laine. Dunno if the Assistance Program has something to do with it, or could Laine just be so out of it that he doesnt even want to talk
I think the Assistance Program, a player can't be in contact with people from organisations as a GM, a coaches and similar. They also can't attend team events, even go to the arena it seems to me. If you recall, Waddell said he was going to talk to his agent, not him first.

Reactions: DoingItCoolKiwi

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
Also purely speculative but what if whatever issues he was having with the team re mitigated by his time in PAP and he comes out with a different view of his future?
i think that the conversation leaking yesterday (prior to waddell having the conversation with him, apparently) is indicative that he still has that view of the future, seeing as this stuff primarily comes from agents.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I am going to miss Capfriendly so much...god these arm chair requests are so gold right now. You would think by now people would realize how fans see the game and FO see it are two different ways.
I haven't gone there since the sale was announced and am in fact actively avoiding doing so. Don't need the extra stress. Been mostly using cap-space.com for my lookup needs.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
i know this is basically what jarmo told PLD before all of that blew up, so i am almost certainly wrong here, but:

i wonder if it makes sense for all parties involved here for laine to stick around for the first 20-25 games, seeing as that will:
  1. give teams more updated viewings on him when healthy
  2. allow teams to dip into LTIR if needed, increasing the number of suitors
  3. make it more palatable for the jackets to retain salary to increase the quality of offers
in return, the jackets can take the top 2-3 offers on the table and ask laine which situation he'd prefer.

if all breaks well, the jackets would get the benefit of trading a healthy and in-form laine at 50% retention ($4.8 cap hit) for a massive haul, and laine gets some additional control over where he goes + gets to play meaningful games. seems like a win-win, no?

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
I don’t see Columbus getting to first for a guy who played 18 games last year and only paid 50 games two years prior. When u factor that and his contract. Unless they’re taking a bad contract back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad