Value of: Parayko to Oilers

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Indecent Proposal Hockey Future Edition (90s movie where Robert Redford pays a bunch of money to Woody Harrelson to sleep with his wife, for you youngsters).

Robert Redford: Hey, how much to sleep with your wife?
Woody Harrelson: No way, man. No amount. I'm not letting you sleep with my wife.
RR: I mean, just hypothetical, Like how much would it take? I know it would be a ridiculous amount. But she's perfect for me, everything I want. Name a ridiculous amount.
WH: A ridiculous amount? Ok $10 Million.
RR: TEN MILLION!!!!!! That's ridiculous!!!!! No way is she worth that.
WH: Well, she is to me. That's what it would take. You said to name a rid....
RR: But $10M. I'll give you $100...And you have to take my STD too.
WH: What? $100, that's insulting.
RR: You should be so lucky. Your wife is old, and not that good looking, and...
WH: Shut up. You said she was everything you liked. I told you I didn't want to sell my wife.
RR: Well you never will with that attitude. <Storms off>

<15 minutes later>

RR: Hey, how much to sleep with your wife?

Substitute sleep with your wife with trade Parayko. We don't want to trade him. So if you ask what it would take, it would take a RIDICULOUS amount. If you don't like that ridiculous amount, don't counter with Ceci and Broberg. Just walk away. You will not find a single engaged Blues fan who wants to trade him for anything but a ridiculous amount.
Doesn't matter what Blues fans think. The owners (15 of them I believe) is paying the bills and if they decides they aren't going contend for the next 3 or 4 years they may want to move him. Having said that there is no indication that the St Louis Blue are doing this. Point is it is all speculation as 90% of the posting on HF boards are fantasy postings. Just like my take or your take. I would pay a lot for Parayko and I do not buy his age argument. With the cap on the rise again 6.5 maybe be a number that #5 D are making in the near future.

• Haha
Reactions: Artemi Panarin

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
You should be happy I don't want Parayko, especially not at the insane valuation you have for him.

McDavid hasn't had a major injury in awhile and came back elite. Parayko missed half a season, then came back okay, then was just plain bad. Big difference.

I’m not sure bad is a good way to put it. The team in general had a massive drop off. And it was expected. Our shooting percentages were extremely high for a season in which everyone looked great. Not to mention the fall off happened when a consistent partner Bouwmeester had a career ending injury.

He was tasked with playing a larger role with the following players: Scandella, Mikkola, Leddy. Scandella somehow always was behind the net or in the goal line in the offensive zone, Mikkola handled the puck like it was 2 seconds from nuclear explosion, and Leddy has and will never be a shutdown player.

It’s not a mystery as to why Parayko was “bad”. It’s the same scenario we’re in right now. We have a youth wave of inconsistent defensive hockey (save Thomas and Buchnevich this year). We have multiple defenseman on the roster who are completely unreliable in one zone and frankly just a smorgasbord of random players who don’t fit equating to us completely leaning on Parayko and named 3rd pairing defenseman to play against top competition for a large majority of the games.

It’s an unwinnable situation. I’m not advocating anyone should trade for him. But I can say with surety he is an upgrade to anyone’s top pair and a rock on the back end that comes with around 30 ES points mainly due to his shot.

He never developed a great first pass, but his skating is so good he can generally exit the zone himself.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
There are currently four teams in the entire NHL who could fit his contract in without having to move salary in one way or another.

When a player has significant term remaining on their deal, it's generally considered risky when it extends into a period of time where a players productivity generally drops off.

The example I gave has nothing to do with the Edmonton Oilers. It mentions an example from the market.

If the Blues stance on Parayko was so certain, why is he always in the rumor mill?
Click bait.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Doesn't matter what Blues fans think. The owners (15 of them I believe) is paying the bills and if they decides they aren't going contend for the next 3 or 4 years they may want to move him. Having said that there is no indication that the St Louis Blue are doing this. Point is it is all speculation as 90% of the posting on HF boards are fantasy postings. Just like my take or your take. I would pay a lot for Parayko and I do not buy his age argument. With the cap on the rise again 6.5 maybe be a number that #5 D are making in the near future.

Our ownership group has been fantastic. There’s a lot more fat to trim on the roster aside from Parayko. If it’s movable or not is the question.

Armstrong has been pretty steadfast that 26-27 or a 3 year window is realistically where they’re looking. I just don’t see how outside of a miracle a team would be willing to offer a piece that would help us more then than Parayko would for Parayko. Oilers simply don’t have that piece, and we have a loaded forward prospect pool.

Maybe something around the draft could happen where a Adam Jiricek falls and we really like something from him (just an example as it’s a possibility) and we think he can be a piece that develops into a number one. But generally we’ll be picking long before the oilers picks and we don’t have a quantity problem in our pool.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Surprised this is still going...

Thought it was clear. Blues fans feel Parayko is elite and would never trade him because he plays 24 minutes a game.

Oil fans can't afford that long a term or the value Blues fans feel Parayko has.

We are awful trading partners.

Enjoy Parayko. We will move on to a cheaper target with less term. Tanev comes to mind. Walker does too.

Not sure how this turned into a Parayko appreciation thread though. He sounds absolutely amazing. Enjoy and hope you make playoffs

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Right now he has good value. I never argued this. The Oilers have long term contracts to worry about and can't take on another. When, not if, Parayko drops off due to injury, age , or both, that is a contract the Oilers can't take on.

Look at who they have signed long term and who they have yet to sign long term. They can't afford him with that kind of term.
This is a load of crap. Move Campbell, Ceci and Kulak opens up the cap space
Broberg replaces Kulak, Parayko replaces Ceci and we have one of the best goalies in the AHL so it will all fit even if we buy out Campbell. There are 2 problems however. The Blues haven't show that they have any intent on moving him and the Oiler are low on assets. With Parayko in the line up our Would be 1 of the top NHL.

Our ownership group has been fantastic. There’s a lot more fat to trim on the roster aside from Parayko. If it’s movable or not is the question.

Armstrong has been pretty steadfast that 26-27 or a 3 year window is realistically where they’re looking. I just don’t see how outside of a miracle a team would be willing to offer a piece that would help us more then than Parayko would for Parayko. Oilers simply don’t have that piece, and we have a loaded forward prospect pool.

Maybe something around the draft could happen where a Adam Jiricek falls and we really like something from him (just an example as it’s a possibility) and we think he can be a piece that develops into a number one. But generally we’ll be picking long before the oilers picks and we don’t have a quantity problem in our pool.
I agree that's why I posted there no indication that the Blues are selling off useful players.

Robtom18

Nov 25, 2019
So my question is what will tampa do. Can broberb be traded to help them and if so what u guys want.

As a blues fan i would love to move scandy or krug

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
So my question is what will tampa do. Can broberb be traded to help them and if so what u guys want.

As a blues fan i would love to move scandy or krug
Maybe I'm misunderstanding... Broberg to replace the injured sergachaev?

Reactions: capazzo

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
This is a load of crap. Move Campbell, Ceci and Kulak opens up the cap space
Broberg replaces Kulak, Parayko replaces Ceci and we have one of the best goalies in the AHL so it will all fit even if we buy out Campbell. There are 2 problems however. The Blues haven't show that they have any intent on moving him and the Oiler are low on assets. With Parayko in the line up our Would be 1 of the top NHL.

I agree that's why I posted there no indication that the Blues are selling off useful players.

As easy as that, huh?

I have to disagree with you. The coming contracts for McDavid and Draisaitl requires Edmonton to avoid long term older veteran contracts. Parayko is doing great right now. He is signed until 2030.

When you think ahead and see $30 million tied up until 2033-2034 (and Nurse @$9.25 Million until 2030) the implications should become clear.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Yes i meant can edm trade broberg to help on the lhd side. Im not saying he is serg but tampa just doesnt have a lot in the system
Gotcha.. they are in different area codes today.lol

To me, Bro is a sell low prospect and that is a classic Oiler move. Draft them high, declare them busts and trade for peanuts. So I'd rather we keep him and hope he comes in and takes a spot as I don't think he has much value around the league today. Rather try and develop him then trade him for very little. But he's on the Jakub Zboril path and that sucks! Like Bro.. high first rounder, great toolbox but just never got it together unfortunately. Hope Bro does better.

Robtom18

Nov 25, 2019

To me, Bro is a sell low prospect and that is a classic Oiler move. Draft them high, declare them busts and trade for peanuts. So I'd rather we keep him and hope he comes in and takes a spot as I don't think he has much value around the league today. Rather try and develop him then trade him for very little. But he's on the Jakub Zboril path and that sucks! Like Bro.. high first rounder, great toolbox but just never got it together unfortunately. Hope Bro does better.
No offense but edm needs to get better scouts. Blues seem to hit players in the lower to mid picks. Parayko (3rd) , kyrou(2nd) thommas (20ova 1st) tage thompson 1st(26ova) neighbors (1st26th ova) so many more.

We have been truly blessed by our scouts here

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
No offense but edm needs to get better scouts. Blues seem to hit players in the lower to mid picks.I'm Parayko (3rd) , kyrou(2nd) thommas (20ova 1st) tage thompson 1st(26ova) neighbors (1st26th ova) so many more.

We have been truly blessed by our scouts here
I'm not offended at all.. decade long problem. We were gifted with first rounders and a whole bunch of them flopped.. JP, Yak and MPS come to mind. Then we didn't have any 2nd to 7th rounders contributing mcuh for a decade. Khaira was one of our most impactful non first rounders. Right now McLeod holds the trophy and he's been great but a total outlier. Skinner and Desharnais are contiburing. So we do have some today that are non first rounders that are helping but we didn't have that for years!

Bear and Jones did but then they were gone.

That's about it for a decade or more.

I always point out that the perfection line was a late first rounder, 2nd rounder and 3rd rounder

Our equivalent to that would be Eberle/Mcleod/Khaira.lmao

FWIW.. our pro scouts have really sucked for a long time too but recent signings and trades have been encouraging... Ek and Hyman were tremendous. Campbell was definitely a big miss though.lol

And, one more, we ccouldn't draft or develop goalies at all! Now it looks great with Skinner and Rodrigue coming up. But the last guy we drafted that played well for us was in the 1980s (Dubynk was successful elsewhwere after being traded for not much).

It is getting better though!

ToniJ1960

Feb 18, 2009
In all fairness, I think there are some fair offers here, if Parayko was available. Given that he isn't, the offers seem worse because Blues fans rightfully want a "give us an offer we can't refuse" scenario, while those of us who want him are coming up with offers that might make sense if he was on the block.
oiler fan started the thread not many blues fans want to see him go period

Reactions: Czechboy

ToniJ1960

Feb 18, 2009
I didn't know Doug Armstrong posted on HF. Cool

I do think it's a real longshot that Parayko is available for trade, it's just funny to see a fan saying "we have ZERO interest in trading him" as if you have any say in this whatsoever.

I will say though that I bet like pretty much every Preds fan this time last year didn't think Ekholm getting traded was realistic. It's not like they were in a tear down rebuild either and, in fact, they were in playoff position when the trade occurred so.... never say never.
ok go ask Doug

LeonDraisaitl

Jan 5, 2015
Saskatchewan
Exactly, everyone says parayko is over paid. Sorry but 6.5 is what faulk makes its what parayko makes as well. Thats exactly what he should get in 2 years thats a steal. As for his injuries ( biggest bs i have ever heard) in 687 games parayko he has played 626 games. That means he has played 91% of his games and has generally averaged top mins. This crap about injuries is just that bullsht
“Everyone” this dude is just arguing with himself. Crazy shit

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis

Just out of curiosity, who else does this apply to.? Off the top of my head I can think of Puljujaarvi, Paajarvi, and Yakupov. Unfortunately Halloway looks like he could be next in line. Or at least is dangerously tip-toeing it. Griffin Reinhart maybe little different situation.

It seems like the focus of scouting for the Oilers has lacked a crucial part of the puzzle. Unless it’s a development issue.

Apologies. Just saw the other post following it.

13pacheco31

Jan 17, 2014
If and this is a big if, a Parayko to Oilers trade happens, it happens in the offseason. Either Parayko wants out or the Blues decide to go rebuild. Oilers open up cap space by buying out Campbell and traded Ceci to other teams. Then it becomes a pure futures return.
I can see both scenarios being the case. St. Louis should definitely rebuild and when they inevitably go that direction, I can see parayko wanting out

Reactions: ElPrimeTime

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Just out of curiosity, who else does this apply to.? Off the top of my head I can think of Puljujaarvi, Paajarvi, and Yakupov. Unfortunately Halloway looks like he could be next in line. Or at least is dangerously tip-toeing it. Griffin Reinhart maybe little different situation.

It seems like the focus of scouting for the Oilers has lacked a crucial part of the puzzle. Unless it’s a development issue.

Apologies. Just saw the other post following it.
With Chia.. it was rush them. Draft them in June.. in NHL by Halloween.

Holland is the exact opposite.. loves to over ripen.

Both strategies suck and neither GM finds the 'sweet spot'

Here are our last 15 first rounders...

I've highlighted the guys that didn't succeed here and brought us back nothing.

Gagner is 50-50 as he's awesome and we all love him.

Klef wasn't anyones fault but he's not playing for us and we got nothing for him other than LTIR space.

I love Hollo and keep hoping it works out.

Bourg is stalled big time.

Bro is Zboril.

Schaeffer was part of a package that got us Ek in Holland's best move.

Eberle got us Ryan Strome and then Spooner and then, no joke, Gagner.

Hall got us Larsson.. which, in fairness, today would be tremendous.

1707532853509.png

Reactions: TFHockey

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
With Chia.. it was rush them. Draft them in June.. in NHL by Halloween.

Holland is the exact opposite.. loves to over ripen.

Both strategies suck and neither GM finds the 'sweet spot'

Here are our last 15 first rounders...

I've highlighted the guys that didn't succeed here and brought us back nothing.

Gagner is 50-50 as he's awesome and we all love him.

Klef wasn't anyones fault but he's not playing for us and we got nothing for him other than LTIR space.

I love Hollo and keep hoping it works out.

Bourg is stalled big time.

Bro is Zboril.

Schaeffer was part of a package that got us Ek in Holland's best move.

Eberle got us Ryan Strome and then Spooner and then, no joke, Gagner.

Hall got us Larsson.. which, in fairness, today would be tremendous.

View attachment 817188

I’d say the rate isn’t that bad. However, when 4 are no.1 and another 5-6 are top 10 it’s a rough outcome.

Reactions: Czechboy

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
I’d say the rate isn’t that bad. However, when 4 are no.1 and another 5-6 are top 10 it’s a rough outcome.
Fanbases hate us for how many first round gifts we got.

And, I gotta say, it is hillarious how after that massive gold rush of 1st rounders that we haven't won a Cup.

However, that is old news now and me bitching about ancient history.lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad