Value of: Parayko to Oilers

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
This thread is going about expected given how the few thousand previous threads on this exact topic went.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
I don't think you'll see many people argue Parayko's importance to the Blues. His impact there is the reason why teams might value him, even with the risk that goes with the term left on his contract.

The logic that a lot of insiders are throwing around is that the Blues may be at a point where they might have to shift their direction a bit to let the next wave of talent take the reins in St Louis.

Simply put, their defense is all in their 30s while the next wave of talent up front is heading into their mid-20s. There's a disconnect about where the team is headed over the next few seasons. And Parayko is probably the only defenseman they have that will net them a favorable return.

We don’t have a 2nd wave of defenseman. We have a 2nd wave of forwards. Lindstein is the only defenseman who it’s conceivable to believe will have any impact outside of a bottom pair fringe nhl role.

We don’t need a significant return from our other pieces. We just need to clear them to get pieces that fit better. Now it may be rather hard to do. But tearing down the only foundational piece in our system on the backend pushes us towards a long term rebuild. Effectively wasting Thomas’ contract all while bottoming us out. And as we’ve seen from many teams unless you get a generational player while bottoming out to draw in free agents irs extremely easy to get stuck in limbo with young talented players but no knowledge of how to win. It’s a damned if you do, probably damned if you don’t scenario.

Reactions: PocketNines

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Blues have exactly one (Lindstein) defenseman that has the potential to top out as a top pairing defenseman, but realisticly he'll probably end up as a second pairing defenseman AND probably needs at least another 3 years of development. We have 2 guys (Buchinger/Burns) that project to be a nr 4/5 in a few years and a couple of guys who project to be bottom pairing defensemen. Our talentpool severly lacks high end defensive talent, there simply is no next wave of talent to take the rein.
I hear you. But when Lindstein or Buchinger realistically make the NHL as regular contributors, any of Parayko, Krug or Faulk are pushing 34/35 years old. This the disconnect.

If the Blues are going to fill that void, they either need to draft/trade their way into a D add in their mid 20s or they'll need to spend in free agency. If they want to build from within to add to that up and coming prospect pool, moving Parayko is probably their best opportunity to add that draft capital.

There's a reason why his name's been out there for a couple seasons now. If St Louis misses the playoffs, I'm not sure how there wouldn't be some significant changes.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
I hear you. But when Lindstein or Buchinger realistically make the NHL as regular contributors, any of Parayko, Krug or Faulk are pushing 34/35 years old. This the disconnect.

If the Blues are going to fill that void, they either need to draft/trade their way into a D add in their mid 20s or they'll need to spend in free agency. If they want to build from within to add to that up and coming prospect pool, moving Parayko is probably their best opportunity to add that draft capital.

There's a reason why his name's been out there for a couple seasons now. If St Louis misses the playoffs, I'm not sure how there wouldn't be some significant changes.

We have had 7 first rounders in the last 5 years or so I believe. Our cupboard isn’t bare by any means. Kyrou and Thomas are here for the long haul.

The issue is with those two signed long term. Do you go with a 3 year retool or an 8 year rebuild?

If we miss the playoffs by a decent margin I’d bet someone gets bought out if we can’t move them. Armstrong never buys anyone out and he had mentioned it in a presser not long ago. He didn’t name names. But I think you can imagine it’s one of Krug, Saad or Schenn. Faulk certainly isn’t a great player in the d zone but you aren’t going to replace him on the open market currently.

I understand why the rumors come about. But you also have to understand that a late 1st, b tier prospects/reclamation projects (prospects who haven’t panned out in around a season or so NHL time), and cap dumps isn’t helping us achieve anything.

If we could get a lottery pick for Parayko and a young defenseman or a young high end defenseman prospect even it would make a little more sense. But from the teams that consistently ask for Parayko on here, they don’t have those pieces.

For example let’s look at the Oilers. What do they offer? 2 1sts and Broberg with Ceci/cap coming back? It’s hard to imagine a scenario where Broberg is anything more than a bottom of the roster defenseman at this point. He’s still young, but he hasn’t really shown anything. 2 picks presumably after pick 20? Long shot, but I guess possibility there. Not willing to bet on that.

So where do you start to construct something that works? Bouchard shouldn’t be moved by the oilers, nor can he play the part Parayko does. They don’t have any real high end defense prospects.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
They don’t have any real high end defense prospects.
Munzenburger! I kid. Our cupboards are damn near bare. We need a cup in the next 2 seasons because it will get ugly after that. Hence why we want Parayko.lol

I'll be honest, I didn't think his value was that high but after reading this thread.. I think I may have been sleeping on him.

Reactions: GOilers88

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Munzenburger! I kid. Our cupboards are damn near bare. We need a cup in the next 2 seasons because it will get ugly after that. Hence why we want Parayko.lol

I'll be honest, I didn't think his value was that high but after reading this thread.. I think I may have been sleeping on him.
Top pairing dman with a reasonable low caphit cost controlled for many years? The cost is massive!

I don’t get why Oilers fans can’t fathom this.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Top pairing dman with a reasonable low caphit cost controlled for many years? The cost is massive!

I wouldn't lump me in that category personally. I just got here.lol

I didn't think of him as a top pair guy but more the third guy when Blues won the cup. He doesn't get many points, he's 30 and he is signed forever. However, I said I was wrong and slept on him. But those were my reasons going in. He's not a guy would target for the Oil though.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis

It may not be. But I can’t fathom why the Blues would trade him without it addressing the one glaring hole in our prospect pipeline.

Robtom18

Nov 25, 2019

Exactly, everyone says parayko is over paid. Sorry but 6.5 is what faulk makes its what parayko makes as well. Thats exactly what he should get in 2 years thats a steal. As for his injuries ( biggest bs i have ever heard) in 687 games parayko he has played 626 games. That means he has played 91% of his games and has generally averaged top mins. This crap about injuries is just that bullsht

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis

I didn't think of him as a top pair guy but more the third guy when Blues won the cup. He doesn't get many points, he's 30 and he is signed forever. However, I said I was wrong and slept on him. But those were my reasons going in. He's not a guy would target for the Oil though.

He hasn’t gotten hardly any PP time in his career. Aside from the last 5-10 games Bannister has been putting him out there a bit. But in general our PP is rather unproductive from a lack of shooting mentality.

Regardless you don’t acquire him to put up points. Youre getting a high end defensive d man who does add in 25-35 points even strength.

I guess high end is subjective, but he’s been tasked to play exclusively matchups with partners who are not suited to do so whatsoever.

Reactions: Czechboy

Robtom18

Nov 25, 2019
He hasn’t gotten hardly any PP time in his career. Aside from the last 5-10 games Bannister has been putting him out there a bit. But in general our PP is rather unproductive from a lack of shooting mentality.

Regardless you don’t acquire him to put up points. Youre getting a high end defensive d man who does add in 25-35 points even strength.

I guess high end is subjective, but he’s been tasked to play exclusively matchups with partners who are not suited to do so whatsoever.
Dont forget his slapshot can kill a goalie just ask benbishop and the sharks. 105 mph if im right

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Wash/Rinse repeat.

At this time, the Blues are in a retool, not a complete tear down and rebill. He is our best Dman - so we have ZERO interest in trading him.

If we were going scorched earth rebuild, then it becomes a discussion, but at this point, there isn't an offer that makes sense for both teams.

End discussion and close thread.

It’s funny because it’s 4 pages deep now. You said it with such authority, too! :silly:

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Indecent Proposal Hockey Future Edition (90s movie where Robert Redford pays a bunch of money to Woody Harrelson to sleep with his wife, for you youngsters).

Robert Redford: Hey, how much to sleep with your wife?
Woody Harrelson: No way, man. No amount. I'm not letting you sleep with my wife.
RR: I mean, just hypothetical, Like how much would it take? I know it would be a ridiculous amount. But she's perfect for me, everything I want. Name a ridiculous amount.
WH: A ridiculous amount? Ok $10 Million.
RR: TEN MILLION!!!!!! That's ridiculous!!!!! No way is she worth that.
WH: Well, she is to me. That's what it would take. You said to name a rid....
RR: But $10M. I'll give you $100...And you have to take my STD too.
WH: What? $100, that's insulting.
RR: You should be so lucky. Your wife is old, and not that good looking, and...
WH: Shut up. You said she was everything you liked. I told you I didn't want to sell my wife.
RR: Well you never will with that attitude. <Storms off>

<15 minutes later>

RR: Hey, how much to sleep with your wife?

Substitute sleep with your wife with trade Parayko. We don't want to trade him. So if you ask what it would take, it would take a RIDICULOUS amount. If you don't like that ridiculous amount, don't counter with Ceci and Broberg. Just walk away. You will not find a single engaged Blues fan who wants to trade him for anything but a ridiculous amount.

Robtom18

Nov 25, 2019
Indecent Proposal Hockey Future Edition (90s movie where Robert Redford pays a bunch of money to Woody Harrelson to sleep with his wife, for you youngsters).

Robert Redford: Hey, how much to sleep with your wife?
Woody Harrelson: No way, man. No amount. I'm not letting you sleep with my wife.
RR: I mean, just hypothetical, Like how much would it take? I know it would be a ridiculous amount. But she's perfect for me, everything I want. Name a ridiculous amount.
WH: A ridiculous amount? Ok $10 Million.
RR: TEN MILLION!!!!!! That's ridiculous!!!!! No way is she worth that.
WH: Well, she is to me. That's what it would take. You said to name a rid....
RR: But $10M. I'll give you $100...And you have to take my STD too.
WH: What? $100, that's insulting.
RR: You should be so lucky. Your wife is old, and not that good looking, and...
WH: Shut up. You said she was everything you liked. I told you I didn't want to sell my wife.
RR: Well you never will with that attitude. <Storms off>

<15 minutes later>

RR: Hey, how much to sleep with your wife?

Substitute sleep with your wife with trade Parayko. We don't want to trade him. So if you ask what it would take, it would take a RIDICULOUS amount. If you don't like that ridiculous amount, don't counter with Ceci and Broberg. Just walk away. You will not find a single engaged Blues fan who wants to trade him for anything but a ridiculous amount.
Lmfao thats great...but i feel they still wont get it.

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016

I actually had a random thought on Munzenburger today, lol.

I read he looks like a young Parayko on the ice :naughty:

He'd look great next to Nurse. I just don't see how it could work.

Robtom18

Nov 25, 2019
I actually had a random thought on Munzenburger today, lol.

I read he looks like a young Parayko on the ice :naughty:

He'd look great next to Nurse. I just don't see how it could work.
Nurse woulf look great next to parayko.

Krug 1st 2024 bolduc

Nurs 2mil retained

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
And
Exactly, everyone says parayko is over paid. Sorry but 6.5 is what faulk makes its what parayko makes as well. Thats exactly what he should get in 2 years thats a steal. As for his injuries ( biggest bs i have ever heard) in 687 games parayko he has played 626 games. That means he has played 91% of his games and has generally averaged top mins. This crap about injuries is just that bullsht
Nurse makes 9M by comparison!

He would be top pairing on the Oilers - a team that is competing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad