Value of: Parayko to Oilers

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Hey, this entire website is all opinions. None of us are experts.
You forgot I post here. Parayko would be a nice fit for the Oilers for the next couple of seasons. It all depends on whether McDavid and Draisaitl are going to be lifelong Oilers or leave. If you know they are staying you can't have that cap tied up beyond next season in Parayko.

• Haha
Reactions: TFHockey

Robtom18

Nov 25, 2019
you can overblow the injury history and length of the contract all you want, that doesn't make him less valuable just because you've set your opinion

i agree the oilers have no cap to acquire an NHL player so the constant trade proposals make no sense, but here we always are
Yeah how does one injury make him a liability. Id like them to name me one player who has never been injured.

Just not good enough to crack the Leafs NHL roster , amiright ?
Yeah that kills me..

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
I didn't know Doug Armstrong posted on HF. Cool

I do think it's a real longshot that Parayko is available for trade, it's just funny to see a fan saying "we have ZERO interest in trading him" as if you have any say in this whatsoever.

I will say though that I bet like pretty much every Preds fan this time last year didn't think Ekholm getting traded was realistic. It's not like they were in a tear down rebuild either and, in fact, they were in playoff position when the trade occurred so.... never say never.
Ekholm didn't have trade protection, so it was a bit easier to see how it could come about.
A GM really has to want to move a core player to ask him to waive a NMC, and it doesn't seem either the player or the team are at that stage yet. (especially after the Krug debacle in the recent past)

Reactions: BlueOil

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Hey, this entire website is all opinions. None of us are experts.
Sure but there has t be some logic in the trade proposals. Oilers don’t have capspace for Parayko and Stl ain’t retaining. Taking on cap like Ceci will cost the Oilers more…

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Seems most of my fellow HFOilers would prefer not to use big assets for rentals, but I'm always game for it. Doesn't even have to be a rental, but just someone with less than 6 years of term left.

I'm down for it if it's a big enough upgrade. Certainly wouldn't have done the 1st+ for Monahan or put together a package given for a rental Lindholm.

If we move a 1st + prospect + it's likely for a rental like Jake Guentzel. Mixed feelings on if we do that. The cost will he high and we have zero chance of signing him due to cap constraints. Now if it's for a top pairing RD upgrade like pending UFA Pesce, I'd be all for going all in on him. Obviously a ton of teams would be EI Toronto. Also I can't see Carolina not keeping him even as their own "rental" even if they lose him as a UFA later.

I have a feeling Holland will add a top 9 forward and a depth D. Thinking guys on teams that will be out of the playoff picture with pending UFA's I think it's a matter of time before we start hearing Mantha's name.... lower acquisition cost, rental aka no long term cap issues, former Red Wing, Capitals or a 3rd team to work out needed retention. In theory a very plausible move.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Sure but there has t be some logic in the trade proposals. Oilers don’t have capspace for Parayko and Stl ain’t retaining. Taking on cap like Ceci will cost the Oilers more…

It's not going to cost to move 1 year of Ceci at 3.25m. He's still a serviceable #4 right shot D.

Teams around the deadline are always looking to add D depth, with a premium on guys who shoot right. I'm not saying he'd return some valuable asset, but we'd easily be able to find a taker.

Now even a club taking him to work the cap on the trade still ends up with a stop gap guy they can trade next deadline for an asset as he'd be on an expiring contract.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
It's not going to cost to move 1 year of Ceci at 3.25m. He's still a serviceable #4 right shot D.

Teams around the deadline are always looking to add D depth, with a premium on guys who shoot right. I'm not saying he'd return some valuable asset, but we'd easily be able to find a taker.

Now even a club taking him to work the cap on the trade still ends up with a stop gap guy they can trade next deadline for an asset as he'd be on an expiring contract.
he is bottom pairing. I don’t see a taker. Teams will fill the role from within.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
he is bottom pairing. I don’t see a taker. Teams will fill the role from within.

Lots of playoff bound rosters have players of similar calibre/cap hit as Ceci. What I'm saying is he's not overpaid for what he is and clubs going for it when they have cap space routinely look for RD. Ceci plays 22 mins a night and the top PK unit. Logs more time on PK than Ekholm does.

I don't take issue with you saying team wise you can't pick a taker. Acting like all the teams have better 3rd D line options or even worse better options to fill a top 6 spot if a team has injuries on their D core I just don't see any logic to it.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
Ekholm didn't have trade protection, so it was a bit easier to see how it could come about.
A GM really has to want to move a core player to ask him to waive a NMC, and it doesn't seem either the player or the team are at that stage yet. (especially after the Krug debacle in the recent past)
for the record there was a report that Parayko would only waive for Edmonton

Robtom18

Nov 25, 2019
Can you produce the report, article or post where this is true?

Cause paraykos ntc doesnt kick in till 2028 and he has to submit 15 teams he doesnt want to be traded too.

Also its going to cost a lot to get parayko in his prime and for 7 years.

So i would just stop the crap offers we are not trading him.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I doubt Armstrong will trade him. He already lost Pietrangelo, and they don't have any blue chip prospects on defence.

(at least any that project to be elite #1 d-men)

Robtom18

Nov 25, 2019
Same shit as this Blues fan(to which I responded "If we are going to play this stupid game") Not sure how I could have made that more clear
If you dont like the price then dont buy. Insiders on 101.1 espn said it would take nothing less than a vast overpayment to.move your #1 defenseman. You scoff and thats fine. You guys offer peanuts thats fine come back to us in 5 years. Cause that would be the only reason you get him for peanuts.

Literally this parayko crap has gone on for years every offseason every trade deadline. Between leaf and edm fans. Rumor has it we wouldnt trade him for nylander so what does that satly to you.

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
Can you produce the report, article or post where this is true?

Cause paraykos ntc doesnt kick in till 2028 and he has to submit 15 teams he doesnt want to be traded too.

Also its going to cost a lot to get parayko in his prime and for 7 years.

So i would just stop the crap offers we are not trading him.

"Whether the Senators are still interested could be moot, though, as Parayko has a full no-trade clause and one source close to him told The Athletic that he’s said in the past he would only waive it to go to Edmonton and another said he wouldn’t be interested in going to Ottawa, specifically."

Robtom18

Nov 25, 2019

"Whether the Senators are still interested could be moot, though, as Parayko has a full no-trade clause and one source close to him told The Athletic that he’s said in the past he would only waive it to go to Edmonton and another said he wouldn’t be interested in going to Ottawa, specifically."
I read the ntc from cap friendly so if they got it wrong then i am wrong. Yeah that athletic article is pure speculation.

With that said blues are not trading him

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
I'd certainly take Parayko to pair with Nurse, but I'm not sure he fits cap wise. Would have to be money our ot retention and that's hard to pull off long term.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I’m not sure if people truly believe how important Parayko is to our team. No combination of prospects who haven’t panned out or late 1sts is likely to return value anywhere near what he’s currently providing us with.

Also, I fail to understand why people make a big deal out of 6.5 million over 7 years. He’s worth every penny of 6.5 and the cap is only going up. That’s also not to mention his cap hit is front loaded and very buy-out friendly once he turns 35.
I don't think you'll see many people argue Parayko's importance to the Blues. His impact there is the reason why teams might value him, even with the risk that goes with the term left on his contract.

The logic that a lot of insiders are throwing around is that the Blues may be at a point where they might have to shift their direction a bit to let the next wave of talent take the reins in St Louis.

Simply put, their defense is all in their 30s while the next wave of talent up front is heading into their mid-20s. There's a disconnect about where the team is headed over the next few seasons. And Parayko is probably the only defenseman they have that will net them a favorable return.

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
I don't think you'll see many people argue Parayko's importance to the Blues. His impact there is the reason why teams might value him, even with the risk that goes with the term left on his contract.

The logic that a lot of insiders are throwing around is that the Blues may be at a point where they might have to shift their direction a bit to let the next wave of talent take the reins in St Louis.

Simply put, their defense is all in their 30s while the next wave of talent up front is heading into their mid-20s. There's a disconnect about where the team is headed over the next few seasons. And Parayko is probably the only defenseman they have that will net them a favorable return.

Blues have exactly one (Lindstein) defenseman that has the potential to top out as a top pairing defenseman, but realisticly he'll probably end up as a second pairing defenseman AND probably needs at least another 3 years of development. We have 2 guys (Buchinger/Burns) that project to be a nr 4/5 in a few years and a couple of guys who project to be bottom pairing defensemen. Our talentpool severly lacks high end defensive talent, there simply is no next wave of talent to take the rein.

Reactions: PocketNines

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
I didn't know Doug Armstrong posted on HF. Cool

I do think it's a real longshot that Parayko is available for trade, it's just funny to see a fan saying "we have ZERO interest in trading him" as if you have any say in this whatsoever.

I will say though that I bet like pretty much every Preds fan this time last year didn't think Ekholm getting traded was realistic. It's not like they were in a tear down rebuild either and, in fact, they were in playoff position when the trade occurred so.... never say never.

So I guess I can’t have an opinion now…. Typical Blues/Oilers thread.

Next time I will check in with you to make sure it is ok…..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad