Value of: Parayko to Oilers

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I don't think Parayko is a good target for the Oilers.

Not because of his talent. He's a big, steady, defensive minded guy who eats minutes successfully against other teams top players. But the contract is what kills this.

6.5 for another 6 years for a guy who while is still excellent, has seen a ton a heavy mileage and had some crappy back issues to boot. Not saying the wheels will fall off overnight, or even at all, but it's just a long term risk that could seriously hurt their cap flexibility with a ton of important contracts coming up. Plus if him and Ekholm both hit a decline, that's massive money tied up in heavily worn albeit solid defenders approaching the tail end.

Heavy gamble for Edmonton and the cost would be huge to acquire him. They aren't retaining.

Doesn't work at all with the cap.
Can you add an expiring contract on a bottom liner you won't really miss? Like Janmark?

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
Can you add an expiring contract on a bottom liner you won't really miss? Like Janmark?
I'm not exactly a capologist or even close to one, so there's probably a way to make it work. But it definitely strikes me more of an offseason work if it's at all possible.

I really like Parayko, but it's could be quite a gamble, and if that's the case I'd rather gamble on shorter term if the team is sending major assets out. That's just me though.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I'm not exactly a capologist or even close to one, so there's probably a way to make it work. But it definitely strikes me more of an offseason work if it's at all possible.

I really like Parayko, but it's could be quite a gamble, and if that's the case I'd rather gamble on shorter term if the team is sending major assets out. That's just me though.
Makes sense that the Oil would use the 2024 1st on a rental.. a good one. Then look a bigger deals in July.

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
Makes sense that the Oil would use the 2024 1st on a rental.. a good one. Then look a bigger deals in July.
Seems most of my fellow HFOilers would prefer not to use big assets for rentals, but I'm always game for it. Doesn't even have to be a rental, but just someone with less than 6 years of term left.

Robtom18

Nov 25, 2019
How much does Parayko want to go?
Seems the most important question at this point.
He doesnt he loves it here. The team loves him the fans love him. He is our best dman. Handles 24toi. He had an off year due to back injury. He is fine now and looks amazing. People here in HF just want him for peanuts. It aint happening

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I think if Parayko were available, Edmonton should go all out for him with futures. The Ekholm trade and more would be on the table from me for sure, so that would probably end up as two 1sts and a good prospect (Broberg) and Ceci is the money going back. We would still need to find a way to make the money work though, and aside from a team taking Campbell for free I don't know how that would work.

Robtom18

Nov 25, 2019
You are an extremely heavy contributor to the situation.
I am i just dont get how everyone seems to think he is awefull and not worth his contract. Yet several teams would love to have him. Its such a conundrum.

Also its my day off today. Bored out my mind.

Reactions: ToniJ1960

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
He doesnt he loves it here. The team loves him the fans love him. He is our best dman. Handles 24toi. He had an off year due to back injury. He is fine now and looks amazing. People here in HF just want him for peanuts. It aint happening
In all fairness, I think there are some fair offers here, if Parayko was available. Given that he isn't, the offers seem worse because Blues fans rightfully want a "give us an offer we can't refuse" scenario, while those of us who want him are coming up with offers that might make sense if he was on the block.

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Too many to post.
It’s always an Oiler fan starting the thread with a lowball offer . Blues fans say no. Oiler dans then crap on Parayko in a misguided attempt to claim lower value. Then Oiler fans claim they don’t need him since Ceci is good enough.

then a month later an Oiler fan proposes a Parayko trade…

Reactions: ToniJ1960

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
It’s always an Oiler fan starting the thread with a lowball offer . Blues fans say no. Oiler dans then crap on Parayko in a misguided attempt to claim lower value. Then Oiler fans claim they don’t need him since Ceci is good enough.

Did this one start with a lowball offer? It's a Value of: thread. Don't like it? Door's over there.

ElPrimeTime

Dec 23, 2014
Edmonton, AB

Show me the lowball offer? The first offer/proposal came from a Blues fan of Bouchard, 2 1sts for Parayko which is asinine.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Wash/Rinse repeat.

At this time, the Blues are in a retool, not a complete tear down and rebill. He is our best Dman - so we have ZERO interest in trading him.

If we were going scorched earth rebuild, then it becomes a discussion, but at this point, there isn't an offer that makes sense for both teams.

End discussion and close thread.
I didn't know Doug Armstrong posted on HF. Cool

I do think it's a real longshot that Parayko is available for trade, it's just funny to see a fan saying "we have ZERO interest in trading him" as if you have any say in this whatsoever.

I will say though that I bet like pretty much every Preds fan this time last year didn't think Ekholm getting traded was realistic. It's not like they were in a tear down rebuild either and, in fact, they were in playoff position when the trade occurred so.... never say never.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
I’m not sure if people truly believe how important Parayko is to our team. No combination of prospects who haven’t panned out or late 1sts is likely to return value anywhere near what he’s currently providing us with.

Also, I fail to understand why people make a big deal out of 6.5 million over 7 years. He’s worth every penny of 6.5 and the cap is only going up. That’s also not to mention his cap hit is front loaded and very buy-out friendly once he turns 35.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Parayko at 6.5 for next 7 years is amazing. In another year its a steal. He is oyr best defender by far handles 24+ mins a night. Can skate with anyone. Why would we trade him for penuts. Edm just doesnt have the assets to get parayko. Also if he wasnt good why would everyone want him.

Would he be your # 1rhd..... lol hf boards are a joke

I guess reading comprehension isn't what it used to be. I'll make my case more clearly.

I think Parayko is signed for too long and for too much for the Oilers to want to acquire him. He is good value right now, but his injury history is a concern and his age suggests he will decline sooner rather than later.

The issue with the Oilers acquiring anyone always boils down to one thing; they have no cap space. So if $6.5 Million comes in the same amount has to go out. This is case not just for today, or the next off season, but for several more years because of the long term contracts they have and the contracts that we know are coming.

Can they Oilers trade a kings ransom for an aging defenseman signed until 2030? Not unless some other long term contracts come off the books and these, without naming names, are unlikely.

Do you get my point? No to a Parayko trade. It cannot help this team.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
I think Parayko is signed for too long and for too much for the Oilers to want to acquire him. He is good value right now, but his injury history is a concern and his age suggests he will decline sooner rather than later.
you can overblow the injury history and length of the contract all you want, that doesn't make him less valuable just because you've set your opinion

i agree the oilers have no cap to acquire an NHL player so the constant trade proposals make no sense, but here we always are

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
you can overblow the injury history and length of the contract all you want, that doesn't make him less valuable just because you've set your opinion

i agree the oilers have no cap to acquire an NHL player so the constant trade proposals make no sense, but here we always are

Hey, this entire website is all opinions. None of us are experts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad