GDT: PANTHERS @ HURRICANES

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Wolfpuck

Chefnikov
Jun 25, 2006
The 919
It's a bad couple of losses, and we all have scar tissue from the previous ECFs. People can have bad takes, I have bad takes. It's a GDT. That's what it is. Lashing out on a message board to real life strangers is a coping mechanism. It shouldn't happen but it's the internet. Making it personal shouldn't happen. I 100% agree, but It's like 2 dogs on a leash...vicious killers until they're free and allowed to sniff butts. Then everyone is cool.

That being said when's the next meet up?
The next meet up to…sniff butts?

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
The next meet up to…sniff butts?

giphy (10).gif

Sigurd

Slavin, our Lord and Saver (AKA Extra Goalie)
Feb 4, 2018
North Carolina
If the powerless play never gets addressed, that will continue to be an anvil around our necks. I know we get sick of hearing and saying it, but its an awful aspect and an incredible weakness for this team.
The PP let us down in 4OT in game 1, and it let us down again in game 2. I'm not sure which one it was, but the Canes had one of the worst looking powerplays I've seen in a long time tonight. They couldn't even set up, and Florida had a 2 on 1 situation on it iirc. The offense has been inert so far this series; it's pathetic even if they've hit some posts and bars. Svech and Patches being injured, on top of our top 6 players minus Jarvis being MIA, is f***ing killing this team. Sloppy passes and too many turnovers tonight too.

That and defensive breakdowns like Skjei leading to Florida's 1st goal; it reminded me of him screwing up with a neutral zone turnover against the Islanders and them scoring right after.
My thing is, they're blowing another opportunity that isn't guaranteed to be around next year. Last year they in my opinion should have gone to the Finals. They likely would not have beaten the Avalanche but they would have been on the big stage. But they f***ed around on the road and found out.

Grinding through 82 games across 6 months and then having to grind through the Islanders and Devils series only to be down 0-2 going to Florida is more of a "here we go again" feeling. How much longer can they go before complacency sets in?

I guess if there's one bright spot is there's some prospects to get excited about once UFA Armageddon gets here. Whether they pan out remains to be seen, but usually contenders have nothing in the stockpile.
Exactly right.

How many more years do they have of being a legit cup contender? How long before they take a step back? Can we finally add an elite top 6 forward we've coveted for a long time? Obviously Patches last summer was our best hope after not getting Tkachuk, but his injuries killed that hope.
Most of us are passionate fans. Everyone handles these situations different. Im livid right now but I know that we have to find a way to win Monday or its curtains for real. Remember when the Habs took the first 2 in Raleigh in 2006? Youre right. These opportunities are not a guarantee each year and its maddening to flame out offensively the way we are doing it. I would check for a pulse if any Canes fan wasnt at least a little pissed.
Good reminder about the Habs in 06. We better hope the Canes pull a massive comeback series win like back then. However, this Florida team isn't a pushover this year. Although I can't help but think having a healthy Svech, AND Patches would've won both of our home games, and eventually the series.

Anyway, I'm ready for us to shoot Skjei, TT, and Stastny out of a cannon for different reasons. Btw, they said Stastny was the only player in game 1 that didn't register a single shot. 7 periods worth, and 0 shots. He's an offensive blackhole.

I agree with folks saying we need to make line changes for next game. I'm thinking something like:

Mac-Staal-Necas
TT-Drury-Poolparty

Although people have a good point that it's time to move Necas back into the top 6. So, something needs to change in our top 6 for him. I'm thinking Fast.

Last edited:

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
The PP let us down in 4OT in game 1, and it let us down again in game 2. I'm not sure which one it was, but the Canes had one of the worst looking powerplays I've seen in a long time tonight. They couldn't even set up, and Florida had a 2 on 1 situation on it iirc. The offense has been inert so far this series; it's pathetic even if they've hit some posts and bars. Svech and Patches being injured, on top of our top 6 players minus Jarvis being MIA, is f***ing killing this team. Sloppy passes and too many turnovers tonight too.

That and defensive breakdowns like Skjei leading to Florida's 1st goal; it reminded me of him screwing up with a neutral zone turnover against the Islanders and them scoring right after.

Exactly right.

How many more years do they have of being a legit cup contender? How long before they take a step back? Can we finally add an elite top 6 forward we've coveted for a long time? Obviously Patches last summer was our best hope after not getting Tkachuk, but his injuries killed that hope.

Good reminder about the Habs in 06. We better hope the Canes pull a massive comeback series win like back then. However, this Florida team isn't a pushover this year. Although I can't help but think having a healthy Svech, AND Patches would've won both of our home games, and eventually the series.

Anyway, I'm ready for us to shoot Skjei, TT, and Stastny out of a cannon for different reasons. Btw, they said Stastny was the only player in game 1 that didn't register a single shot. 7 periods worth, and 0 shots. He's an offensive blackhole.

I agree with folks saying we need to make line changes for next game. I'm thinking something like:

Mac-Staal-Necas
TT-Drury-Poolparty

Although people have a good point that it's time to move Necas back into the top 6. I guess move Noesen down to either the 2nd or 3rd line (if the 2nd, a player from that line moves down to the 3rd of course) and make room for Necas?

Rod will make changes to the lines. He has to.

Reactions: Tryamw and Sigurd

Brock Anton

flames #badnwagon
Nov 8, 2009
Westerly, RI
Exactly right.

The worst part is we avoided all of the "boogeymen" in Boston, Tampa and the Rangers and we're STILL looking to go down in a ball of flames in the ECF.

A major trade for a legitmate goalscorer 100% needs to be made this off-season. As far as I'm concerned, the entire roster/farm is on the table for it as well. Nobody is untouchable anymore.

Sigurd

Slavin, our Lord and Saver (AKA Extra Goalie)
Feb 4, 2018
North Carolina
Rod will make changes to the lines. He has to.
I will say that simply adding Mac in place of Stepan really made the 4th line have some good shifts tonight; including the goal from Drury assisted by Mac that IMO shouldn't have been overturned due to the ambiguity of offsides. Again, it's interesting how quick they were to overturn that but they took so long to overturn Florida's when it was clearly offsides.

Anyway, I was just wondering if right from the start of the series, Rod had moved Necas into the top 6, and had a bottom six like we've talked about, if that would've won us these first two games. Given how close they've been (two games in overtime and then some), it's not unreasonable to wonder.

The worst part is we avoided all of the "boogeymen" in Boston, Tampa and the Rangers and we're STILL looking to go down in a ball of flames in the ECF.

A major trade for a legitmate goalscorer 100% needs to be made this off-season. As far as I'm concerned, the entire roster/farm is on the table for it as well. Nobody is untouchable anymore.
Yes! That's why I'm more pissed off than I expected to be given our injuries.

The powerhouses of the East were eliminated in the FIRST ROUND. It has been wide open this year for the Stanley Cup.

*Edit* I will say that our front office needs to have a great offseason this summer. A Keller or similarly elite top 6 forward is really needed. To fail two summers in a row (Patches kind of doesn't count due to injuries and Tkachuk), and at this year's deadline in doing so, would be a massive mistake that will bite this franchise badly. Especially when we have Aho, KK, Necas, etc. that aren't producing the points we need in the playoffs.

Last edited:

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
The injuries in this specific series are, though. The 2 players we have (had) that were game breakers against a physical, net collapsing team with a hot goalie would be Svech and Patches.
Yep this is the series we got Patches for..But we have to play with the team we have.. Also gotten some ill luck

D1az

Oct 29, 2009
Finland
Impressively close games given the injuries you have.
If this series doesn't go your way then I could imagine the level of "what if", related to the injuries, in just about every Cane's fans head.

Reactions: geehaad

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
He's the supposed superstar and 1C and so it's him who's expected to take the team on his back when the clutch moment comes. Tkachuk doing that and Aho not doing that is why the series is now how it is.

Okay, but then you've got Necas, who has a grand total of two goals in the playoffs (I believe).

The fact of the matter is, we're running into the same issue that Boston and Toronto before us ran into: Bob. He's on a heater, he's keeping his team into games they have no business being in, and Florida eventually finds a way to win those games.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Feb 23, 2014
Okay, but
Yes. I wanna stress, this not how I personally feel, necessarily, but it is merely my understanding why people seek fault in Aho of all people.

Aho and tkachuk both have 2 points in this series
Yes. And Aho shows more hunger for more, because he's not instantly clawing for exit from the rink once he gets one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad