GDT: PANTHERS @ HURRICANES

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Okay, but then you've got Necas, who has a grand total of two goals in the playoffs (I believe).

The fact of the matter is, we're running into the same issue that Boston and Toronto before us ran into: Bob. He's on a heater, he's keeping his team into games they have no business being in, and Florida eventually finds a way to win those games.
Blueline, You're right on the $$!!
Bob is playing at a whole new level.
Elite scorers like Marner, Matthews, Tavares, Patch and Marchand couldn't do it.
Sebastian Aho is playing very well. Bob does not give much space at all to score.

Reactions: LakeLivin

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
This team is playing well, but they need Svech and Patches for a series like this one. The opposition can neutralize the Canes shallow scoring depth.
The other point that I want to make is that Burns is a downgrade on the PP from Dougie or Tony D.

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
The Boys left it all on the ice.
They've played 11 Periods of Hockey in less than 40 hours or so.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
This team is playing well, but they need Svech and Patches for a series like this one. The opposition can neutralize the Canes shallow scoring depth.
The other point that I want to make is that Burns is a downgrade on the PP from Dougie or Tony D.
That might be the case for DeAngelo, although 4 points on the PP so far through 13 games isn’t terrible in the playoffs compared to DeAngelo having 6 points on the PP last year in 14 games.

The bigger difference has been Burns being able to play defense 5v5 where DeAngelo was repeatedly taken advantage of last year.

Dougie?? Hamilton had 6 PP points in 31 playoff games over 3 seasons with Carolina. Again, Burns has 4 PP points in 13 playoff games.

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Spitting Chiclets: Ryan Whitney
Big Bob has been the difference in this series..............so far. ;)

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Tkachuk has been overly unimpressive these 2 games outside of 2 gift goals. With that being said, someone excusing Aho’s absenteeism because he has 2 random assists is just silly. Unlike Tkachuk, Aho can’t wait around for a gift each game while other players carry the team.

dogbazinho

May 24, 2006
Fairfax, VA
Burns has been the only good add of the offseason. That said we're entirely dependent on him on the PP and we're lucky if we get another 2 seasons from him.

Reactions: geehaad

Daeavorn

livin' that no caps life
Oct 8, 2019
Raleigh, NC
As our best player it's still on aho's shoulders to step up.

He needs goals not assists.

Necas has been completely worthless.

Stasny is invisible and an awful pickup, no reason drury isnt our 4C.

Its also time to trade Pesce and Skjei. Theyre both on the cusp of losing their athleticism and theyve both started to look worse.

If we cant get it done it needs to sit on the FO shoulders.

They had a chance to get someone after patches went down and didnt do it.

Its been proven that its very hard to replicate success like this.

If we get swept in the ECF again its time to change something in the Front Office.

That will be the SECOND time weve gotten swept in the ECF.

At that point ill be ready for an entire new team.

Heyheylj

Jul 24, 2021
I would say the unfortunate circumstances surrounding Slavin’s mishap in game 1 regarding his turnover and getting his stick caught in Burn’s skate were really tough mistakes. Slavin is an amazing player, but these “human” mistakes that were non-existent for the majority of the playoffs are now wreaking havoc. My dad would say, “He’s snake-bit!” We need to reverse the curse on him!

Rick Davis

Dec 31, 2020
I think all of us here should just chill the f**k out and be thankful that this team is in the ECF! Who among us here thought the ECF was even a remote possibility after it became apparent that both Patches and Svech would be unavailable for the playoffs? Not to mention an historically ineffective Turbo (also unavailable for a long stretch)…winning a Cup takes a certain amount of luck to go along with skill and desire. We’ve had the desire part in spades but the luck factor has been nonexistent this year…

surfzone365

Jan 13, 2021
Ashburn, VA
Don’t shoot… don’t score. Don’t score… don’t win. This dump and chase shit has to stop. We don’t seem to have the personnel-on the ice or behind the bench- that believe in crashing nets and getting greasy goals. It’s not in our DNA to be aggressive when we need to step it up.

Daeavorn

livin' that no caps life
Oct 8, 2019
Raleigh, NC
I think all of us here should just chill the f**k out and be thankful that this team is in the ECF! Who among us here thought the ECF was even a remote possibility after it became apparent that both Patches and Svech would be unavailable for the playoffs? Not to mention an historically ineffective Turbo (also unavailable for a long stretch)…winning a Cup takes a certain amount of luck to go along with skill and desire. We’ve had the desire part in spades but the luck factor has been nonexistent this year…

Merely getting to the ECF isnt enough. I want to win the cup. Its the only way for this team to get any respect and its most likely the only way Rod gets into the HoF.

The talking heads will never respect us if we keep losing here.

surfzone365

Jan 13, 2021
Ashburn, VA
Merely getting to the ECF isnt enough. I want to win the cup. Its the only way for this team to get any respect and its most likely the only way Rod gets into the HoF.

The talking heads will never respect us if we keep losing here.
Well said, especially with the other Eastern powerhouses like Toronto, NYR and Boston long gone. It is there for the taking but Florida wants it more. We are well within our element to have very high expectations.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
After some sleep and sobering up.....the team has played great.

Tkachuk and Barkov have been more impactful than Aho. I saw a lot of Aho and TT standing and waiting for the puck to get to them rather than getting to or supporting the puck.

Turbo doesn't look like he has it right now. I'd rather see PP out there with his speed and big body hounding pucks.

Jarvis has really impressed me playing the size of his heart. No fear in that feller. I might put Jarvis with Staal and tell Staal to get him the puck.

My attempt at lines for next game.

Necas Aho Noesen
Poolparty Kokomiami Gretzky
Jarvis Staal Fast
Stazknee Drury MacAttack.

Need to get into the middle of the ice and Bob's grill and make his life miserable.

surfzone365

Jan 13, 2021
Ashburn, VA
Trying to be optimistic:

We need Freddie to be really solid in game 3 like Cam did against Montreal/Gerber did against Buffalo in 2006.

And we need guys to step up. Not totally over, but our backs on the wall.
A win on Monday changes the entire dynamic of the series. It’s puts us back in the series and instills a confidence we are missing. Throw these first two games in the shredder and focus on Sunrise.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
In my case I'm not at all embarrassed. That would be the case of both games had been mirror images of game 7 vs New York from last year.

Frustrated is another matter. Especially since the same mistake has ended up in the back of the net 3 times and has led to the vast majority of their offensive zone chances even when it hasn't.

This is still winnable if they clean that up, but that needs to be done immediately.

Reactions: zman77 and DaveG

Sigurd

Slavin, our Lord and Saver (AKA Extra Goalie)
Feb 4, 2018
North Carolina
As our best player it's still on aho's shoulders to step up.

He needs goals not assists.

Necas has been completely worthless.

Stasny is invisible and an awful pickup, no reason drury isnt our 4C.

Its also time to trade Pesce and Skjei. Theyre both on the cusp of losing their athleticism and theyve both started to look worse.

If we cant get it done it needs to sit on the FO shoulders.

They had a chance to get someone after patches went down and didnt do it.

Its been proven that its very hard to replicate success like this.

If we get swept in the ECF again its time to change something in the Front Office.

That will be the SECOND time weve gotten swept in the ECF.

At that point ill be ready for an entire new team.
I agree with so much of this. Also, yes. Aho needs goals and not just an occasional assist. He's our best forward remaining post-injuries, and I just checked NHL.com to confirm, he's only had 1 goal since the Islanders series.

Aho also looked off last night along with TT again (clearly). In general, the team made sloppy passes, and too often was indecisive.

Oh yeah, and being 0 for 3 on the powerplay is unacceptable. Especially when one of those was one of the worst looking powerplays I've seen in a long time; they couldn't even set up and made awful passes.
After some sleep and sobering up.....the team has played great.

Tkachuk and Barkov have been more impactful than Aho. I saw a lot of Aho and TT standing and waiting for the puck to get to them rather than getting to or supporting the puck.

Turbo doesn't look like he has it right now. I'd rather see PP out there with his speed and big body hounding pucks.

Jarvis has really impressed me playing the size of his heart. No fear in that feller. I might put Jarvis with Staal and tell Staal to get him the puck.

My attempt at lines for next game.

Necas Aho Noesen
Poolparty Kokomiami Gretzky
Jarvis Staal Fast
Stazknee Drury MacAttack.

Need to get into the middle of the ice and Bob's grill and make his life miserable.
In addition to this possible lineup (Rod HAS to change the lines or he's really gonna share a lot of blame for this series), here's my thought:

Martinook-Aho-Jarvis
Noesen-KK-Necas
Mac-Staal-Fast
TT-Drury-Poolparty

Given what we have post-injuries, I really like these changes. Stastny needs to go. I'd rather have TT (even with his struggles) on the 4th line than him. Swapping Noesen for Martinook on the 1st line maybe will jolt Aho a little bit to do more offensively. Especially if Martinook can have flashes of his performance from the New Jersey series.

These lines were really needed at our home games though not only for the wins, but for last line change.
While there can be hyperbole on the internet I can imagine Meier or Bertuzzi having a goal or two at this point and this series being 1-1 at worst.
Or Barbashev. Him having 4 goals and 5 assists in 12 playoff games this year is pretty impressive (he's only taken 1 penalty too); especially for a guy that iirc, didn't cost much to get.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
The good news is the team played bad for a lot of last night. So if they get back to playing not like garbage, which includes things like completing very short passes, and shooting into the half of the net where the goalie isn't, they can still win this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad