Rumor: Pagnotta: Keep an eye on DAL/NSH/VGK/CHI if Marner is shopped

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
It’s a positional value thing for me.

Big 22 year old top pairing D (probably a 2D) at a great cap hit.

The crazy thing is most feel like Vlasic hasn’t even reached his ceiling yet. There’s a lot of growth in his game still.

I just don’t see Chicago as a fit.

I don't think he is that on a contending team. I think he is a young top 4 D with potential but that is all it is at this point.

Marner fills a need for sure. Responsible defensively and will help cover Bedard in that way while also being a playmaking machine with lots of experience playing with goal scoring centers.

Kaners PPGs

Jun 2, 2012
Chicagoland (Tinley Park)
If it's Chicago it's got to include Seth Jones, which I won't lie a top 3 of Rielly, Jones and McCabe is a solid top 3.

I just don't know how you convince Marner to go to Chicago, yes They have Bedard, and that will attract players but it's going to be a LONG LONG time before they are competitive
It would be a 3-team trade. Something like Marner to Utah, Jones to Toronto, and something back to Chicago from Utah.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
It would be a 3-team trade. Something like Marner to Utah, Jones to Toronto, and something back to Chicago from Utah.

I don't know how you convince Marner to go to Utah either, if he's going to go to a bad team the Ducks would probably be an attractive option because they have A LOT of young talent and he'd be in California

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
My guess:

Vegas Theodore +
Dallas Hintz + Harley
Nashville Saros + Luke Schenn
Hawks: Vlasic + Tor 2025 first back
That dallas trade is like getting back Connor Mcdavid while the other trades are like getting Barkov back

Huge gap in value where if dallas made that offer and Treliving accepted any other offer from that listing, it should be an instant firing and investigstion into him purposely screwing the leafs

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
There's more to roster construction than "Marner is the #5 winger in the NHL" and Thomas Harley is only the Stars' second best defensemen.

This isn't a video game where trades are about trading a 91 overall for an 87 overall so of course the other team does it.

The Dallas Stars are one of four teams remaining in the entire NHL and have as good a chance of anybody at winning the Cup in a few weeks. They have done this on the back of an extremely deep and well-rounded team. They are already the third highest scoring team in the NHL. They already are rolling 3 scoring lines of forwards that can beat you any given night. They have a great, clutch goalie in Otter.

The question with the Stars coming into the year was blueline depth beyond Heiskinen. Their #2 coming into the year was Lindell...and he's a real solid stay-at-home guy but he's nobody's idea of a complete #2 threat on the blueline.

There's some notion that Thomas Harley was a disappointment before this season - the truth was Dallas was simply slow-cooking him in the AHL and willing to let him develop at pace, arriving this year (technically his second season - he is NOT a rookie) as a fully-formed second-pairing guy at age 22 with big physical upside who ended the year with 15 goals and 47 points.

He's done nothing but get better all season and his developmental trajectory as a young defenseman is really one of the keys to unlocking this version of the Stars. Wyatt Johnston gets all the press for his scoring but Harley is just as foundational for the Stars, logging big #2 minutes and becoming *that guy* to build a Cup winning capable defense around along with Heiskinen. He's an absolute thoroughbred, a 6'-4" tower with big-time athleticism and skating ability and the blend of two-way skill every team looks for. He's got all the tools to be a #1 defenseman, and soon - he just won't have to be in Dallas with Hesikinen there.

So no - Mitch Marner IS awesome and I feel his playoff troubles are a touch overrated - but the Dallas Stars would not consider Thomas Harley for Mitch Marner in a thousand years and that's because they are a smart organization who have built a Cup contender with a balanced roster in terms of positions, style and age. Trading Harley for Marner would severely undermine both the current and future balance of their roster construction, their cap construction and take a vital core piece from an area they don't have depth in and just adding more offense to a team that already scores a ton of goals.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
And Toronto is only paying his bonus for ONE MORE SEASON, the upcoming season. Which is why a Marner deal makes sense after July 1st and not anytime before that. What part of that are you not understanding? When it comes to contracts you look at real money and cap hit. They are two separate things but both have importance in making a deal work. Stop replying and go look on cap friendly. No one is saying Toronto is going to pay the bonuses for a team past this July 1st.

It’s absolutely useless to try to reply to you when you don’t read the posts you are replying

Just go back to your original comment of cap doesn’t mean anything, actual money does and then come back

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Me trying to keep my eyes on 15% of the league

FJgmXmkJyXrbEwgCwfjcaa-320-80.jpg

Should have named a few more teams to cover all the bases.

• Haha
Reactions: JohanFranzenstein

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
From a team standpoint, I don't think it serves Dallas well to flip Harley for Marner.

Harley is emerging as a top pairing defenseman playing heavy, meaningful minutes in a good playoff run as a 22 year old. In the long run keeping Harley and the extra cap space his contract would provide over Marner's seems like the better play. I don't think they need an 11 million dollar winger.

In a vacuum, sure.

Dallas has Hintz, Robertson, Johnson, Stankoven etc for their top6+ other legit prospects

You are not breaking up a top pairing of Harley 22y - Heiskanen 24y for a winger, non starter

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I see a Dallas offer being Bourque+Bichsel for Marner and a random prospect or pick.

Dallas has such a solid roster right now that I doubt they would be looking to upset the apple cart too much. Certainly not giving up a quality player like Harley for potentially one year of Marner, no way.

Kaners PPGs

Jun 2, 2012
Chicagoland (Tinley Park)
I don't know how you convince Marner to go to Utah either, if he's going to go to a bad team the Ducks would probably be an attractive option because they have A LOT of young talent and he'd be in California
Utah will probably overpay him and he'd be the face of the organization with a ton of talent coming. If Toronto doesn't want to resign him, what contending team is going to give him a 12 * 7 or some max contract? If he wants that contract, it's most likely going to come from a nonplayoff team. So he'll need to look at teams that could be playoff contenders in a couple years. I agree Anaheim would be a good choice and I've thought about them but does Marner seem like a Verbeek player? I've thought about a Marner trade for Zegras and Fowler.

Reactions: francis246

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
I see a Dallas offer being Bourque+Bichsel for Marner and a random prospect or pick.

Dallas has such a solid roster right now that I doubt they would be looking to upset the apple cart too much. Certainly not giving up a quality player like Harley for potentially one year of Marner, no way.
I don't even think they'd offer that. They're loaded at forward with limited cap space, they need to use assets on another legit d man. Upsetting their cap structure for Marner of all players would be monumentally stupid

Reactions: LT and SEALBound

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020

Why do the Leafs make that trade? They are trying to compete for a cup and are trading a prime aged 100 point Selke winger for prospects?

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Schenn really isn't that good, if that gets it done we'd consider ourselves lucky we didn't have to part with any of our youth.

I think the consensus on the press board is we'd be cool with parting with Saros + some combination of Tomasino/Fabbro/1st etc.
Schenn is very good

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
My guess:

Vegas Theodore +
Dallas Hintz + Harley
Nashville Saros + Luke Schenn
Hawks: Vlasic + Tor 2025 first back
None of these are realistic.
The dallas one is by far the most silly.
Hintz is a monster and harley is a true #1 Young D man in a year.

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
Mitch Marner
Timothy Liljegren
2024 1st (23rd overall)

For

Seth Jones (@ 5M)

If Blackhawks are keen to overpay a bunch of dusters might as well pick up some assets for the wasted cap.

• Haha
Reactions: HockeyVirus

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
None of these are realistic.
The dallas one is by far the most silly.
Hintz is a monster and harley is a true #1 Young D man in a year.

Hintz highest career points is 75 points. Marner is 99. Hintz is a good player but is clearly in a tier below Marner. Marner is also younger and better defensively

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Why do the Leafs make that trade? They are trying to compete for a cup and are trading a prime aged 100 point Selke winger for prospects?
It's called getting value for a guy who's gunna leave as a UFA and has a NTC.

The packages you've proposed would be an overpayment for Marner 5 years ago, but now with 1 year until UFA they're absolutely ridiculous. How many players have been traded for that kinda value coming out of a situation where the team has so little leverage?

Reactions: SEALBound

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Chicago's offer is a laugh. Leafs pass.
Chicago (a team in a total rebuild) doesn’t offer a top pairing Dman on an ELC for a guy who in a year will destroy their salary structure.
Look at what adding Tavares led Toronto to do with AM, MM and to a lesser extent Nylander.
Marner will want 11.5 or 12.0 a year. … What are you then paying Bedard?

Reactions: HawksDub89

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Only one year left on the contract. Handshake deal that Marner is traded to a contender if the Hawks are out of it by the TDL. I doubt they can sign him to an extension though.
But that means you have to be paying less for Marner (to Toronto) than you are getting in any TDL deal. Plus get paid for the retention that moving him at the deadline would require.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
It's called getting value for a guy who's gunna leave as a UFA and has a NTC.

The packages you've proposed would be an overpayment for Marner 5 years ago, but now with 1 year until UFA they're absolutely ridiculous. How many players have been traded for that kinda value coming out of a situation where the team has so little leverage?

We literally saw Treliving do this with Tkachuk a season ago. Got a top pairing D and a 100+ winger + for his winger who wanted out and would only sign with certain teams. Was a steal. The extension after is a problem but still.

Marner has value and will get value. You are out to lunch if you think Marner is being dealt as basically a cap dump value like so many seem to imply.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad