Claimed off Waivers: P.A. Parenteau (claimed by NJ)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Toronto, Edmonton, Vancouver, Columbus, Calgary, Winnipeg, and Arizona in that order would have the first shot at him.

Hard to think he gets past Arizona at the latest.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Depends on the team.

Take the Blackhawks for example. Their 3rd line isnt a grinding or checking line. Theyre a bum-slaying 3rd offensive line, given the softest starts against weak competition. Parenteau could thrive in such a bottom6/top9 role.

He probably wouldnt work on the Toews or Kruger line, since they get the tougher QoC and zone starts.

All of the best playoff teams roll a top 9. For example (not directed at you Jaeg, obviously you know all about it), Phil Kessel wrecks people from the third line.

Massive hole of difference between Kessel and PAP. Not to mention that Bonino & Hagelin are hardly your typical 3rd line players...

Blackhawks are such a cap-strapped (but balanced) that they could absolutely make PAP as a cheap 3rd liner work, but they're more of the exception than the rule. Most teams don't have a perennial Selke nominee like Toews holding down the 2nd line while having such a great 1st line with Kane & Panarin.

Majority of NHL teams don't have a Selke candidate on the second line, nor do they have Crosby/Malkin/Kessel to spread out the talent.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Would not mind him if the Oilers picked him up.

Given the need at RW, I wouldn't be surprised if we grabbed him. Keeps Drai at centre and lets Caggiula and Pulju start in the AHL. It would be an excellent depth pick up.

Yitz

May 9, 2009
Yes!!! Parenteau is a bum, it was a mistake to sign him in the first place.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Massive hole of difference between Kessel and PAP. Not to mention that Bonino & Hagelin are hardly your typical 3rd line players...

Blackhawks are such a cap-strapped (but balanced) that they could absolutely make PAP as a cheap 3rd liner work, but they're more of the exception than the rule. Most teams don't have a perennial Selke nominee like Toews holding down the 2nd line while having such a great 1st line with Kane & Panarin.

Majority of NHL teams don't have a Selke candidate on the second line, nor do they have Crosby/Malkin/Kessel to spread out the talent.

You realize there are two other players on Kessel's line right? Kessel needed complementary players in order for his line to work.

And why do you point out "most teams" when he already said "depends on the team" and I already said "top teams"? We've already qualified that this doesn't make sense for all/most teams.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
You realize there are two other players on Kessel's line right? Kessel needed complementary players in order for his line to work.

And why do you point out "most teams" when he already said "depends on the team" and I already said "top teams"? We've already qualified that this doesn't make sense for all/most teams.

I literally mentioned the other two guys on Kessel's line by name, so I'm guessing I do have some "realization" as to the fact that an NHL forward line has three players on it.

Even so, PAP is never sticking around long-term on a team like the Penguins or Blackhawks on the 3rd line. More likely a year or half a year before trying to find a team willing to give him top-6 minutes.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
For 1.25M you're getting goals for cheap. Maybe as much as 20 goals. That's all you're geting from him, but goals are goals.

nucksauce

Oct 30, 2013
canucks may claim here...
With Rodin out for a bit and Virtanen with a mediocre showing this preseason I'd take a flyer on him to play on Right with Sutter

oilersfan87

Jan 18, 2009
The Oilers could use him this season until Puljujärvi is ready to play in the NHL. I don't see why they wouldn't claim him, as there is very little risk.

Seedling

Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
Jul 16, 2009
Canada
What happened to Dal Colle? Who the hell is Tito?

NX5XQ2_i.jpg

entropism

May 8, 2011
New Jersey
what? He's made some of the better moves in his tenure.

Some people are blinded to reality. Nobody says Snow should be GM of the year, but he's done well with what he was given and has shrewd moves under his belt.

Guessing this guy either hates the Isles, or is a "fan" but deep down, just hates the Isles.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
Saw Bobby Mac tweet out a bunch of waiver last names and saw Parenteau and thought "can't be P.A., who else has a Parenteau?"

I'm surprised by this. I don't think the Leafs will pick him up because we need to develop kids this year but I wouldn't hate it though, he was great last year on the Leafs considering what is expected from him.

I think he definitely gets claimed.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Saw Bobby Mac tweet out a bunch of waiver last names and saw Parenteau and thought "can't be P.A., who else has a Parenteau?"

I'm surprised by this. I don't think the Leafs will pick him up because we need to develop kids this year but I wouldn't hate it though, he was great last year on the Leafs considering what is expected from him.

I think he definitely gets claimed.

Honestly, the Leafs organization is smart enough these days to pick up a guy with upside for nothing and then trade him for assets at the deadline to a team like the Blackhawks who will be in desperate need for depth as they make another run while the window is still open.

Mr Sakich

Mar 8, 2002
Motel 35
vimeo.com
Agreed with the sentiment that oilers will pick him up. It allows us to start pulj in the ahl for 40 games. If pulj shows he is ready, then there will be a trade market for a scorer in February.

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
Honestly, the Leafs organization is smart enough these days to pick up a guy with upside for nothing and then trade him for assets at the deadline to a team like the Blackhawks who will be in desperate need for depth as they make another run while the window is still open.

They tried that last year. No one wanted to pay what the Leafs were asking for and he got injured before they had a chance to dump him for whatever they could get.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad