HF Habs: Out of Town Thread: Off-Season Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

EXPOS123

Jun 29, 2010
See what a decade of tanking get you. The oilers and sabres. Almost time for another decade of darkness in Edmonton.
Tanking in and of itself is justified but is just one piece of the puzzle when building a quality club

The issue is when you have incompetent management overseeing the tanking, which is what you have/ had with both those clubs

I crap on this org (and rightly so) for their poor drafting but Edmonton has been absolutely atrocious in this area for the better part of 20 years.

Aside from Drai and Mcdavid and maybe RNJ and Hall, the rest of their picks have all busted.

Then you add their terrible signings and trades and this is what you get

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

Is it Woodcroft’s fault? I don’t think so.

And what happens if they fire him and still suck? Id make roster changes first, then if that doesn’t work I’d look at the coach. He can’t ‘coach’ Campbell into being Carey Price… I mean what’s the guy supposed to do?

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
Is it Woodcroft’s fault? I don’t think so.

And what happens if they fire him and still suck? Id make roster changes first, then if that doesn’t work I’d look at the coach. He can’t ‘coach’ Campbell into being Carey Price… I mean what’s the guy supposed to do?
Every year people ask what's wrong with the Oilers and Leafs. Every year it's the same answer. Every year it's never addressed.

D and goaltending. It's not hard to see. The hard part is executing to fix these problems when your teams are so top-heavy. TO fired Dubas rather than break up the core four and Edmonton will never get rid of Drai/McDavid as long as they want to stay there (and they shouldn't, but maybe try to parlay some of the forwards they have for upgrades or strictly draft D/goalies for cheap).

The Hawks had Corey Crawford in net winning cups, yet they also had Seabrook, Keith, Byfuglien and Hjalmersson playing D. Tampa has had the best goalie in the world for all of theirs. Countless examples that you can't win on firepower alone.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Every year people ask what's wrong with the Oilers and Leafs. Every year it's the same answer. Every year it's never addressed.

D and goaltending. It's not hard to see. The hard part is executing to fix these problems when your teams are so top-heavy. TO fired Dubas rather than break up the core four and Edmonton will never get rid of Drai/McDavid as long as they want to stay there (and they shouldn't, but maybe try to parlay some of the forwards they have for upgrades or strictly draft D/goalies for cheap).

The Hawks had Corey Crawford in net winning cups, yet they also had Seabrook, Keith, Byfuglien and Hjalmersson playing D. Tampa has had the best goalie in the world for all of theirs. Countless examples that you can't win on firepower alone.
TO has every advantage that Edmonton doesn’t though. Tons of players want to go there and will do it cheap.

Edmonton is a small market team where the winters are below 1000 Celsius. Players want a premium to be there. Holland knew Nurse was being overpaid but I’m sure he thought the optics of letting their best blueliner go would t be acceptable to the fans or maybe even the team’s roster. It’s a terrible situation to be in.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Tanking in and of itself is justified but is just one piece of the puzzle when building a quality club
The issue is when you have incompetent management overseeing the tanking, which is what you have/ had with both those clubs
I crap on this org (and rightly so) for their poor drafting but Edmonton has been absolutely atrocious in this area for the better part of 20 years.
Aside from Drai and Mcdavid and maybe RNJ and Hall, the rest of their picks have all busted.
Then you add their terrible signings and trades and this is what you get
I feel like since Markov and Plekanec our drafting has not been too bad. No team has a hit rate of 100% in the draft. I think our main problem has been development and how impatient we are we the kids. We trade lot of them for like nothing (Ribeiro, Beauchemin, MccDo, Sergachev). We are also too often afraid to sell UFAs we are going to lose for picks despite not being in a position to win a cup. We lost a lot of assets both kids and UFAs for nothing in the last 30 years. A hockey team is a business. You have to make your assets grow in value not depreciate. Sells high and buy low. The draft is a lottery more than anything else. Even the best scouts don't really know for sure. The more picks you have the better always. There's a time to sell your picks like NYR atm and there's a time to try to get more like our current situation.

Reactions: Redux91

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I feel like since Markov and Plekanec our drafting has not been too bad. No team has a hit rate of 100% in the draft. I think our main problem has been development and how impatient we are we the kids. We trade lot of them for like nothing (Ribeiro, Beauchemin, MccDo, Sergachev). We are also too often afraid to sell UFAs we are going to lose for picks despite not being in a position to win a cup. We lost a lot of assets both kids and UFAs for nothing in the last 30 years. A hockey team is a business. You have to make your assets grow in value not depreciate. Sells high and buy low. The draft is a lottery more than anything else. Even the best scouts don't really know for sure. The more picks you have the better always. There's a time to sell your picks like NYR atm and there's a time to try to get more like our current situation.
Bergevin had “the more picks you have” approach and regularly traded down pursuant to his theory of getting more darts.

It’s not about having more picks generally but of nabbing as many high round picks that you can get as we’ve all seen how the chances of success are greater with higher picks.

As for what the best scouts know, it’s not a perfect science however, like in any field, some are better than others at converting their high picks into value. Having the better scouts gives you an edge in the percentages of getting it right.

And having Nick Bobrov as your co-scouting director does not beget confidence, particularly in regards to first round picks and where Euros are involved. It’s the first high level management appointee (together with Lapointe) that invites a lot of scrutiny.

Not sure how competent Lapointe might be as we don’t know the extent and quality of his input but we do have a verifiable track record with Bobrov.

Last edited:

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Any reason why Keith Tkachuk with 538 goals and over 1000 points is not in the HOF? I find that odd. The dude was the prototypical Power Forward and was fun as heck to watch.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Any reason why Keith Tkachuk with 538 goals and over 1000 points is not in the HOF? I find that odd. The dude was the prototypical Power Forward and was fun as heck to watch.
He is in the USA Hall of Fame.

The "international" HOF seems to looks at individual, international and team achievements beside points a lot more when it comes to voting thought.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
He never won anything major…Stanley Cups, WJC, and Olympics (over last 30-years) has been part of selection criteria.

Also, eerily similar to Mogilny, Tkachuk started his NHL career balls to the walls w Jets (PPG) and started to fade as he hit 30

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
He never won anything major…Stanley Cups, WJC, and Olympics (over last 30-years) has been part of selection criteria.

Also, eerily similar to Mogilny, Tkachuk started his NHL career balls to the walls w Jets (PPG) and started to fade as he hit 30
I heard Pierre LeBrun say today on 98.5 FM that the HOF is no longer putting as much weight on whether a player won a Stanley Cup or not given the number of teams the league has grown to.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
I heard Pierre LeBrun say today on 98.5 FM that the HOF is no longer putting as much weight on whether a player won a Stanley Cup or not given the number of teams the league has grown to.
Probably should never have been a criteria. Why penalize a player for a GM's incompetence. And then Price who was the best goaltender in the league for much of his career wouldn't make the Hall of Fame.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas

His individual accomplishments should be considered over whether a team around him was built well enough, Tkachuk did his part on the ice.

Yea but a winner is a winner.
There are players in the HOF that I would argue don't belong there over guys like Tkachuk

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
His individual accomplishments should be considered over whether a team around him was built well enough, Tkachuk did his part on the ice.

There are players in the HOF that I would argue don't belong there over guys like Tkachuk

Tkachuk will be in the HoF at some point. But hardware, be individual or team, will always put you in front of the line. KT main issue is other than raw stats he doesn't have much, 2 All-Star selection (2nd team) and that's pretty much it, so it's going to take time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad