HF Habs: Out of Town Thread: Off-Season Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Development failure my ass how they got this guy to score 25g for 4 years straight years with his 1996 dekes and shitty off ice habits is a miracle. 4-6 other teams tried and failed.

Reactions: Barriwhite

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
Development failure my ass how they got this guy to score 25g for 4 years straight years with his 1996 dekes and shitty off ice habits is a miracle. 4-6 other teams tried and failed.
Yeah his on ice development was fine initially. Made the team D! year but that was the lockout shortened season that started in January. He was ready to leave Jr. Him and gally started together he put up 27 pts and gally 28 in a shortened season (48 games). The next year he put up 31 to gallys 41 but he missed close to 20 games to injury. year 3 final year of ELC he puts up 20G and 46 pts and gally had 47. similar development lines.

At this point Gally signs his 6 year 3.75M, Galchenyuk signs a 2 yr bridge at 2.8M- there was talk he wanted long term at big $$ at that point- needed the money to support family etc. That may have been the first hint that family was an issue.
Next year he has his best year 30G, looks like he is well on his way to becoming a great player. Injured and less production next year

Then the downward spiral began, Got the next contract for 3 yrs at 4.9M seemed like team had concerns and he was not happy with term or dollars either. Team bailed after 1 year of that deal trading him away. Seems like the off ice stuff had been concerning the team for a while

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Until proven otherwise, and based on his past, the guy isn't mentally ill.

If that's your take on what I said, then you really don't understand what I'm talking about.

There is this thing called personnal responsability that needs to kick in.

Personal responsibility is not some magical automatic behavioral component. It's bred through empathic development and learned values. If someone is not raised properly, through attachment relationships that create our emotional empathy and neither receives cues to the proper values that lead to personal responsibility, that person will be clueless about it or quite simply will not give a rat's ass.

And if you do see that you are going the wrong way, you need to take matters in your hands to correct it. Strangely, he did that after when he joined the NHLPA program. He took responsability. And address it.

That's a narrative based on an assumption. His agent probably advised him to do so. It probably had nothing to do with taking responsibility per se, but much more likely it was simply actions that were meant to rehabilitate/save his NHL career.

So I don't agree with you that NO ONE chose who they are. Some do. Whether it's positive or negative.

This is completely bonkers. Your arguments have nothing to do with the relevant facts that try to explain where choice comes from. I have to repeat myself often about this, but whatever, here it goes, again: you do not chose your genes, you do not chose your epigenetic markings whether inherited or acquired, you do not chose your parents nor do you chose your formative bio-psycho-social environment, you do not chose the city, state/province and country you are born in, you do not chose what you like or dislike, you do not chose who you fall in love with.

Pretty much everything that makes us who we are is almost entirely out of our control. By the time the actual volative part of us starts evolving, almost at the end of our teens, we've already been imprinted by the gazillion environmental cues that have rattled in our minds and created what we like or dislike. Our attractions and aversions.

The deck is literally stacked against our limited volition.

Furthermore, if you really want a bit more insight on his predicament; we can easily infer that Alex Galchenyuk is impulsive. He has a history of addiction. Those are two big telltale signs of childhood stress/trauma. Impulsivity comes from childhood, but lack of impulse control in adulthood is more related to our late teen years when that significant part of the brain starts to bloom and does so until our late twenties.

The fact he's having more problems as a full grown adult is a sign that the development of his impulse control was partly, or even greatly, staunted.

You say he's not mentally ill, yet his behavior could certainly be categorized as anti social tendencies. All the earmarks are there. Aggressiveness, impulsivity and substance abuse.

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I don't think he was either of those things…he just didn't prioritize his own career.

It had nothing to do with making the Habs at 19 years old.

I mean sure the coaching staff could have done a better job of bringing him along but you guys think they didn't all know all the mess he was getting into off the ice?

He did not take his job as a professional hockey player seriously and he surrounded himself with “yes people” who enabled his behaviour.

It's 100% on him.
No amount of development was going to overcome the toxicity that his family created.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
The caricature of a caricature.

Isles fan let him have it:

“Bro looks ridiculous”

“We need to discuss those socks.”

“Looks like he’s manning a table at the supermarket asking for donations for needy vets. At least get that table a skirt.”

“Billion dollar arena and they had a 2 dollar table for the press conference.”

“Why did they give him a setup that makes him look like he’s helping kids sign in for their peewee hockey tournament.”

“At least he’s ready to go clam digging after the game.” :laugh::laugh::laugh:

“Wait, this can’t be a real photo. I mean, the Isles don’t even have a podium in their media room but instead a picnic folding table?”

“Thats what he should be doing, sitting and selling programs up in the corridor’s during games. The man is not well !”

• Haha
Reactions: Adam Michaels

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON

“Bro looks ridiculous”

“Looks like he’s manning a table at the supermarket asking for donations for needy vets. At least get that table a skirt.”

“Why did they give him a setup that makes him look like he’s helping kids sign in for their peewee hockey tournament.”

“Wait, this can’t be a real photo. I mean, the Isles don’t even have a podium in their media room but instead a picnic folding table?”

“Thats what he should be doing, sitting and selling programs up in the corridor’s during games. The man is not well !”

He made an effort to coordinate his socks with his shirt and tie at least, that's more than I do most days I wear a suit !

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018

“Bro looks ridiculous”

Imagine getting sacked for your socks, so you sock the guy who sacked you.

Reactions: Runner77

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017

“Bro looks ridiculous”

Socks are fine. The table though. Ouch. Ça fait BS en tabarnac.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
If that's your take on what I said, then you really don't understand what I'm talking about.

Personal responsibility is not some magical automatic behavioral component. It's bred through empathic development and learned values. If someone is not raised properly, through attachment relationships that create our emotional empathy and neither receives cues to the proper values that lead to personal responsibility, that person will be clueless about it or quite simply will not give a rat's ass.

That's a narrative based on an assumption. His agent probably advised him to do so. It probably had nothing to do with taking responsibility per se, but much more likely it was simply actions that were meant to rehabilitate/save his NHL career.

This is completely bonkers. Your arguments have nothing to do with the relevant facts that try to explain where choice comes from. I have to repeat myself often about this, but whatever, here it goes, again: you do not chose your genes, you do not chose your epigenetic markings whether inherited or acquired, you do not chose your parents nor do you chose your formative bio-psycho-social environment, you do not chose the city, state/province and country you are born in, you do not chose what you like or dislike, you do not chose who you fall in love with.

Pretty much everything that makes us who we are is almost entirely out of our control. By the time the actual volative part of us starts evolving, almost at the end of our teens, we've already been imprinted by the gazillion environmental cues that have rattled in our minds and created what we like or dislike. Our attractions and aversions.

The deck is literally stacked against our limited volition.

Furthermore, if you really want a bit more insight on his predicament; we can easily infer that Alex Galchenyuk is impulsive. He has a history of addiction. Those are two big telltale signs of childhood stress/trauma. Impulsivity comes from childhood, but lack of impulse control in adulthood is more related to our late teen years when that significant part of the brain starts to bloom and does so until our late twenties.

The fact he's having more problems as a full grown adult is a sign that the development of his impulse control was partly, or even greatly, staunted.

You say he's not mentally ill, yet his behavior could certainly be categorized as anti social tendencies. All the earmarks are there. Aggressiveness, impulsivity and substance abuse.

How would you have handled Galchenyuk's development given what's known, and what would you have tried to find out to fill in the blanks?

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Craig Ramsay is mad that the NJD have not rushed Nemec to the NHL.

Between this bizarre call-out and his over-enthusiastic praise of Slafkovsky I’m beginning to think he has set out to sabotage the NHL.

Chili

What wind blew you hither?
Jun 10, 2004
Several teams rumoured to be talking to Patrick Kane. Chris Johnston believes they include Rangers, Buffalo, Detroit & Florida. Apparently, he had the same surgery as Nick Backstrom so will be interesting to see if he is able to come back.

Reactions: Runner77

the valiant effort

settle down, bud
Apr 17, 2017
Several teams rumoured to be talking to Patrick Kane. Chris Johnston believes they include Rangers, Buffalo, Detroit & Florida. Apparently, he had the same surgery as Nick Backstrom so will be interesting to see if he is able to come back.

He was a great player, but it’s time for him to say goodbye

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
How would you have handled Galchenyuk's development given what's known, and what would you have tried to find out to fill in the blanks?

He seems like he's fairly entitled, even for a professional athlete. Consequences are important. Throwing him in the NHL so soon when he wasn't ready and didn't earn it like didn't help. That said, Radulov was worse. Way worse. The first hand stories I have from teammates of his are insane and almost not believable. Yet he still ended up a world class player. He was a lot more driven on the ice however. Same with Ribeiro, who wasn't as driven as Radulov, almost as insane, but his talent level was just out of this world. A skinny, slow player who never trained, ate whatever he wanted and smoke/drank/took drugs yet ended up ppg. Insane.

Until proven otherwise, and based on his past, the guy isn't mentally ill. There is this thing called personnal responsability that needs to kick in. And if you do see that you are going the wrong way, you need to take matters in your hands to correct it. Strangely, he did that after when he joined the NHLPA program. He took responsability. And address it. So I don't agree with you that NO ONE chose who they are. Some do. Whether it's positive or negative.

Outside of his substance abuse, there's nothing to suggest he has an actual illness. Other Mental health issues ? Maybe, but not an actual illness. If you want someone who had an illness, that would be Michael Ryders brother. That was tragic. You are right about the role of personal responsibility and a pretty good example of how badly previous management used to do their due diligence on players and prospects.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad