HF Habs: Out of Town Thread: Off-Season Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

EXPOS123

Jun 29, 2010
As if we needed any more proof, but It’s now clear as day that Galchenyuk had too many off ice issues and was beyond fixing.

I hated Bozovin with a passion, but the only thing he can be blamed for is maybe not giving him a veteran roommate to basically babysit him. You can say what you want, but every young kid in Montreal needs at least some kind of supervision and mentorship.

Reactions: 417

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
As if we needed any more proof, but It’s now clear as day that Galchenyuk had too many off ice issues and was beyond fixing.

I hated Bozovin with a passion, but the only thing he can be blamed for is maybe not giving him a veteran roommate to basically babysit him. You can say what you want, but every young kid in Montreal needs at least some kind of supervision and mentorship.
It’s true, no one could’ve known.

but it’s also true that you should try and draft the kid you have the most certainty in terms of personality and entourage and not only on talent. Especially for the Montreal market.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Also if we had picked Forsberg we would have probably traded him for Martin Erat.
The top 3 was pretty locked up, Forsberg wasn't in that conversation at all. It's like the Kopitar thing in 05, the truth is he wasn't in the top 5 conversation at the time, the alternative only became obvious much later.

EXPOS123

Jun 29, 2010
It’s true, no one could’ve known.

but it’s also true that you should try and draft the kid you have the most certainty in terms of personality and entourage and not only on talent. Especially for the Montreal market.
Maybe I missed it, but I’m curious, were there any red flags during his junior days ?

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Galchenyuk was widely regarded as a character player with excellent two-way play.
One meeting with his dad could have changed that perception. Or simply sending back a player to the CHL that basically missed his entire draft year could have humbled him a bit.

The Montreal media is a two-edged sword. Yeah they will shit on you quite harshly, but they will also anoint you the next big thing pretty quickly.

Reactions: Runner77

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
Kind of crazy to see the polar opposite now.

When I was recently watching the kings, I was thinking... What if we drafted Kopitar instead of Price?

We would have had an extremely durable 1st line C that's still playing today, would have probably tanked for a rebuild a lot earlier since we wouldn't have had Price covering all the holes... Maybe we would have even won a cup as a result!!

Aw well....
Interestingly in that scenario, no Price means Halak and Kopitar in the lineup ;)

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
One meeting with his dad could have changed that perception. Or simply sending back a player to the CHL that basically missed his entire draft year could have humbled him a bit.

The Montreal media is a two-edged sword. Yeah they will shit on you quite harshly, but they will also anoint you the next big thing pretty quickly.

I think it's likely that Galchenyuk actually was a character player. He simply wasn't mature enough to handle being a messiah at age 18, and with respect neither would 99% of 18 year olds.

Bergevin rushed him because he was a moron who believed that the purpose of tryouts is to earn a spot on the team.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Galchy has his own problems. And he's responsible for the type of person that he is.

I agree with everything else you wrote except this.

No one choses who they are. Spend only a few hours reading behavioral development and you'll immediately question this old myth.

Interestingly in that scenario, no Price means Halak and Kopitar in the lineup ;)

@the would've been ecstatic.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Yup. I recall in his draft year reports saying he was a good kid with a good head on his shoulders.
So was Bryan Fogarty leading up to draft … until it was discovered it was 100% BS

An individuals “character” doesn’t simply get altered by a coach or GM

Reactions: Habs10Habs

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I think it's likely that Galchenyuk actually was a character player. He simply wasn't mature enough to handle being a messiah at age 18, and with respect neither would 99% of 18 year olds.

Bergevin rushed him because he was a moron who believed that the purpose of tryouts is to earn a spot on the team.
Let’s be honest, Galchenyuk was being mentored by Brandon Prust. The guy is a moron and a whacko. That likely didn’t help.

Another one of Bergevin’s faults - if you’re a veteran and you are willing to drop the gloves, it must mean you have character.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
So was Bryan Fogarty leading up to draft … until it was discovered it was 100% BS

Yes it can because that's exactly the part of the brain that finally develops between 17 to 25 y/old, up to 30 years old. Impulse control and social inhibitions development is what that age group is all about.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Thing with Galchenyuk is you can certainly blame some of the choices he made but don't forget that the Habs actually put out a video of Bergevin and Therrien bragging about how Therrien was the guy who developed Crosby and Malkin and that he would be there to guide Galchenyuk. He didn't f***ing do shit, there's no way that things got that out of control if he was actually being mentored properly.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004

no, it gets altered by a trusted mentor(s)... that can come in many forms, as it is not a cliche that it takes a village to raise a child.

parents, siblings, other family members, agents, coaches, spiritual advisors, older peers... each successful individual will have a different mix of influential people in their lives that helped them in their growth... just as each catastrophe has a toxic influence and/or complete lack of effective support system in it's wake.

the myth of the individual success story achieved by one's own efforts alone is peddled by those too arrogant or too cowardly to acknowledge the privileges and support they've enjoyed along the way.

Reactions: dgeezus

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
Jeeze, that means he failed his conditions and now has a warrant on him. Can't come back to the US ever, unless he wants to face bigger charges.

I'm guessing he got permission to leave "to make a living". He got a pretty good lawyer after all, since he basically got nothing for a DUI+Hit-and-run+everything in the video.

Reactions: Runner77

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
If you spent any time in downtown Montreal bars during Gakchenyuk’s days with the Habs.

That video is the least bit shocking
The EDM club in Griffintown was where he used to hang out, him and Nate the Great. Chucky had major issues. Sad. He’s lucky to have such a talent because he would probably be in a street somewhere, in a tent.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I agree with everything else you wrote except this.

No one choses who they are. Spend only a few hours reading behavioral development and you'll immediately question this old myth.
Until proven otherwise, and based on his past, the guy isn't mentally ill. There is this thing called personnal responsability that needs to kick in. And if you do see that you are going the wrong way, you need to take matters in your hands to correct it. Strangely, he did that after when he joined the NHLPA program. He took responsability. And address it. So I don't agree with you that NO ONE chose who they are. Some do. Whether it's positive or negative.

Reactions: Andrei79

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
In the full length raw video posted from an earlier link, Galchenyuk keeps alluding to his mobster connections and how “Russians will make bolognese out of you.”

Never heard anyone make that kind of threat. And then I remembered Paulie Walnuts from The Sopranos:

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
The EDM club in Griffintown was where he used to hang out, him and Nate the Great. Chucky had major issues. Sad. He’s lucky to have such a talent because he would probably be in a street somewhere, in a tent.
Funny you mention Nate, because wasn't he and his dad also involved in some bar fights?

Reactions: jrom

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
You could have not rushed him in the NHL. The guy had missed a full season based on an injury. You had the perfect excuse to do so if you didn't want your ego to not be hurt. Which is something Bergevin was never able to do. Let his ego aside.

So you start with taking your time. And then have him stay with a proven vet. For sure. But it started wrong. But hey....that's what happens when you draft for needs....and you DESPERATELY think that they'll fill it.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
The top 3 was pretty locked up, Forsberg wasn't in that conversation at all. It's like the Kopitar thing in 05, the truth is he wasn't in the top 5 conversation at the time, the alternative only became obvious much later.
They are never in the conversation....until they are. It's not because we don't have it, that pros who are suppose to know best don't. It's not always for the best though. Thomas Hickey was never in the conversation for top 5. And he was. Reason why we were able to get McDonagh. But then, Carey Price wasn't seen as top 5 either etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad