HF Habs: Out of Town Thread: Off-Season Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Objectively how can anyone say these things suck if they make billions of dollars? They all exist to make money, they all make insane amounts of money. That's the metric.

Well, if it gives you the same shivers as when someone scrapes their fingernails against a chalkboard, no matter how much money it made, it still f***ing sucks.

Nickelback made their fortune by selling to the lowest common denominator. I mean, it's not as worst as let's say, Swift, Bieber and all the rest who sell to impressionable kids, still, they suck.

Nickelback is to Pearl Jam like Gregory Charles is to JS Bach.

• Wow
Reactions: the

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Obviously what is good or not is kind of relative. Personally i'd call the Avengers pretty damn average at best but most people consider it one of the best movies they ever watched. As for Nickelback they're fine i guess but my main problem is lot of people classify then as alternative metal or post grunge or hard rock or something like that but like no it's really a Rouge FM type of band for middle aged women. Relating them to metal or grunge or hard rock in any possible way is ridiculous. It's a pop rock band. It's like saying Avril Lavigne is punk rock ...

She did pretend she was though. She even went as far as marrying that sellout from Sum 41, another candy-punk band.

I say sellout, because Sum 41 used to be called Reset and they were actually punkrock back then. Reset had some good punk tunes.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Nickelback had a pretty good song on Silver Side Up that I really enjoyed and that I could still enjoy today.
But they sound like, and probably are, a band that was really, but really, thought Creed was the most revolutionnary thing to happen in music. ... And then pretty much ended up taking's Creed spot in the music industry food chain (albeit with a tolerable frontman).

Isn't Creed just another knockoff of Pearl Jam? Like most bands that started in the 90's, they all took cues from PJ.

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
Isn't Creed just another knockoff of Pearl Jam? Like most bands that started in the 90's, they all took cues from PJ.
That's the thing.
At some point, you have to stop giving cred. Personnally I stopped at Bush (on the weight of their debut album having A LOT of hits/great songs), and there wasn't much left after Stone Temple Pilots.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
She did pretend she was though. She even went as far as marrying that sellout from Sum 41, another candy-punk band.

I say sellout, because Sum 41 used to be called Reset and they were actually punkrock back then. Reset had some good punk tunes.

Reset became Simple Plan, Sum 41 were always wankers.

Reactions: zeeto

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
That's the thing.
At some point, you have to stop giving cred. Personnally I stopped at Bush (on the weight of their debut album having A LOT of hits/great songs), and there wasn't much left after Stone Temple Pilots.

I'll never stop giving cred to PJ. They were mavericks, trend setters and never sold out. All that came after them were just pale imitations. Bush, STP, Creed, Nickleback. Copy of a copy of a copy...

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Reset became Simple Plan, Sum 41 were always wankers.

Oh f*** right.. i had Sum 41 and Simple Plan mixed up.

On another note, never thought someone here would remember Reset. We're bros from different hoes.

I freaking love Nickelback, they are awesome. Nobody will ever convince me otherwise.

You like expansion teams, so you're not a reference ;p

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
I'll never stop giving cred to PJ. They were mavericks, trend setters and never sold out. All that came after them were just pale imitations. Bush, STP, Creed, Nickleback. Copy of a copy of a copy...
Heh... Stone Temple Pilots were an older band than Pearl Jam and ended up sounding quite different anyways after the first album. Bush... again, 4 killer singles.

Reactions: zeeto and Zam Boni

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal

Pretty sure she's married to the singer from Nickelback hilariously enough.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Heh... Stone Temple Pilots were an older band than Pearl Jam and ended up sounding quite different anyways after the first album. Bush... again, 4 killer singles.

STP started a single year before PJ, but the latter had their success way faster and STP kinda imitated them for an album or two, between 92 and 95.

Pretty sure she's married to the singer from Nickelback hilariously enough.
She was married to the other dweeb from Sum 41 before ze Chad

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
I mean people can hate on Nickleback all they want, but they obviously have a LOT of fans:

I guess this is how I remind you that Nickelback is one of the most commercially successful Canadian rock bands, having sold more than 50 million albums worldwide.[

I mean that's my whole point. You can say you don't like them, but how can you say they suck if they are so successful?

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I mean people can hate on Nickleback all they want, but they obviously have a LOT of fans:

I guess this is how I remind you that Nickelback is one of the most commercially successful Canadian rock bands, having sold more than 50 million albums worldwide.[

I don't hate Nickelback. I would just like people to admit it's a pop-rock band and there's nothing wrong with that. I actually have one or two Avril Lavigne song in my phone but i'm not running around pretending she's a punk rock artist ;)

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
STP started a single year before PJ, but the latter had their success way faster and STP kinda imitated them for an album or two, between 92 and 95.
... Mostly because of geographical reasons (and their prior bands).

Besides, if STP sounded like only one Seattle band on Core, it was probably more Alice in Chains than Pearl Jam. Purple isn't really indebted to grunge either.

YukonCornelius 5thOA

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
... Mostly because of geographical reasons (and their prior bands).

Besides, if STP sounded like only one Seattle band on Core, it was probably more Alice in Chains than Pearl Jam. Purple isn't really indebted to grunge either.
It’s shameless how much of Core can sound like AIC.

Their best album is Tiny Music, Weiland on drugs, hardly doing that faux grunge voice.

Reactions: MXD

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
It’s shameless how much of Core can sound like AIC.

Their best album is Tiny Music, Weiland on drugs, hardly doing that faux grunge voice.
Yep. I mean their two best songs are on Purple, but Tiny Music is definitely their best album.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad