HF Habs: Out of Town Thread: Off-Season Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
The main board GDT seems to be unironically praising Nickelback here in 2023, ****ing lmao

Berta 4lyfe

Nickelback gets a lot hate because they became the face for an era of very generic, formulaic rock music that all sounded the same and was just everywhere. But I can't stand when people say they suck. I have friends like that, music snob friends who shout how Nickelback sucks, while hoping nobody remembers their emo days of the early 2000s.

Nickelback is not my thing but they don't suck, they sold a f***ing bajillion albums. By definition they don't suck, they are an extremely successful band.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Nickelback gets a lot hate because they became the face for an era of very generic, formulaic rock music that all sounded the same and was just everywhere. But I can't stand when people say they suck. I have friends like that, music snob friends who shout how Nickelback sucks, while hoping nobody remembers their emo days of the early 2000s.

Nickelback is not my thing but they don't suck, they sold a f***ing bajillion albums. By definition they don't suck, they are an extremely successful band.
Nickleback sucks and its fine if you like em. I like em, I know they suck and I know why I like them.

You dont have to like only "good things". I love Michael Bays Transformers, I know what they are. Some people love McNuggets, its fine.

Reactions: zeeto

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Nickleback sucks and its fine if you like em. I like em, I know they suck and I know why I like them.

You dont have to like only "good things". I love Michael Bays Transformers, I know what they are. Some people love McNuggets, its fine.
Objectively how can anyone say these things suck if they make billions of dollars? They all exist to make money, they all make insane amounts of money. That's the metric.

• Love
Reactions: quarter450 and the

GrandBison

Jul 1, 2019
They had a brutal one- 89-90 with 31 points I think. The 74-75 Capitals are the worst ever I think with a 8-67-5 record for 21 points. SJ may be in that territory.
Nordiques case is worst I think, and closer to today's Sharks, cause you could have no pieces to build an expansion team like the 74-75 Caps, or the new Senators, but both the Nords and the Sharks literally destroyed their roster.

Reactions: dinodebino

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Objectively how can anyone say these things suck if they make billions of dollars? They all exist to make money, they all make insane amounts of money. That's the metric.
Because capitalism is not a barometer of quality.

TV dinners are a multi million dollar business yet its dog shit. The three most succesful teams in the NHL have a bottom ten product over the last 30 years.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Because capitalism is not a barometer of quality.

TV dinners are a multi million dollar business yet its dog shit. The three most succesful teams in the NHL have a bottom ten product over the last 30 years.
Nickelback exists to make money. Their music is a formula designed to sell albums. Michael Bay exists to make money, he's not out there trying to make art he's trying to make blockbuster movies. McNuggets exist to make money, they aren't trying to be high-end cuisine. They are all extremely successful examples of what they exist to do.

Reactions: the

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Nickelback exists to make money. Their music is a formula designed to sell albums. Michael Bay exists to make money, he's not out there trying to make art he's trying to make blockbuster movies. McNuggets exist to make money, they aren't trying to be high-end cuisine. They are all extremely successful examples of what they exist to do.
Yes. Its good in a capitalist mindset. It is not what people refer to when they say good or bad.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
Nordiques case is worst I think, and closer to today's Sharks, cause you could have no pieces to build an expansion team like the 74-75 Caps, or the new Senators, but both the Nords and the Sharks literally destroyed their roster.
Nordiques of 89-90 were further along than today's Sharks though as they had been drafting well for a while. They had Sakic drafted in 87, who put up over 100 pts in 89-90. They had leschyshyn, Kamensky and Fiset from 88 draft. They had Sundin and Foote from the 89 draft and would Owen Nolan with the 1990 no 1 pick.

the valiant effort

settle down, bud
Apr 17, 2017

Satirizing Kroeger’s infamous “8 million albums” quote aside, it will always be cool and fresh to dunk on the Nickelbacks of Earth.

My next move is to petition for the removal of Fix You as the Habs intro song.

YukonCornelius 5thOA

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006

No, they suck.

Making a product that everyone buys does not equate to quality.

You kind of suck for this post too waffledave.

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
Nickelback had a pretty good song on Silver Side Up that I really enjoyed and that I could still enjoy today.
But they sound like, and probably are, a band that was really, but really, thought Creed was the most revolutionnary thing to happen in music. ... And then pretty much ended up taking's Creed spot in the music industry food chain (albeit with a tolerable frontman).

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Obviously what is good or not is kind of relative. Personally i'd call the Avengers pretty damn average at best but most people consider it one of the best movies they ever watched. As for Nickelback they're fine i guess but my main problem is lot of people classify then as alternative metal or post grunge or hard rock or something like that but like no it's really a Rouge FM type of band for middle aged women. Relating them to metal or grunge or hard rock in any possible way is ridiculous. It's a pop rock band. It's like saying Avril Lavigne is punk rock ...

Reactions: dgeezus
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad