HF Habs: Out of Town Thread: Off-Season Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
Suspend a player for gambling while half your ads are about sports betting sites. :laugh:

My guess is they found evidence he gambled illegally. Because if he gambled on other sports through legal means, then I don't know why they'd suspend him, especially if they found no evidence he bet on NHL games.
You have to look at their contract I guess, maybe players are forbidden to gamble in any sports

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
I'm gonna blatantly steal a joke from the main boards.

This suspension is brought to you by Draft Kings.
lol...they sold out to the gambling industry for $$$...now they are worried....

He will have to spend time with the club’s AHL affiliate in Belleville before he can even think about returning to the NHL."“This is important because it goes to the integrity of the game,” a league source told this newspaper Thursday. “It’s the appearance of impropriety. That’s the problem. You can’t have that as a league.Once you start to tarnish the system, especially with your new partners in the gambling world, it’s not good. You’ve kicked the wrong hornet’s nest. The appearance of the integrity of games? Woah GARRIOCH: Senators centre Shane Pinto suspended for gambling violations

Reactions: Doc McKenna

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
Hé’s suspended because he didn’t use bet99?
So its 41 games , gambling related and he did not bet on NHL games. Was he the the bookie, running a sports book competing with the NHL's many official gambling partners and not giving the league their cut? Loansharking? is he Theodores long lost half brother. NHL statement raises more questions than it answers

bonneaug

Aug 2, 2017
Maybe they just did him a solid? “Unusual activity” can be a rule break, or sudden crazy amounts of cash coming in..

Just, maybe, he has a gambling problem, he started borrowing insane amounts from dubious sources, account was flagged, the NHLPA or league reached out, and Pinto decided he wanted to join a program/get help without the public disclose of his addiction. Hence the NHL’s blurry “no further comments” statement but also lenient waving of the rule if he doesn’t sign before Christmas. Could explain the ban without any obvious rule break.

Reactions: CDN24

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal

I love how Pinto goes from rubbing his hands together and licking his lips for the 3-4 year multi million dollar deal that he was apparently gonna spend most of it on gambling anyway

Only to end up NOT getting the contract, HAS to sign QO, WONT play half the year, should probably not gamble again
And is now a NHL red flag lmao

Wow

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
83xkqa.jpg

Shred

Nov 1, 2005
So NHL players are allowed to play Fantasy Football leagues with each other for what I can only assume are fairly large sums of money for most people, but are not allowed to “gamble” on other sports?

Shred

Nov 1, 2005
I read it more as bet99 contacted NHL and said one of their players is betting on sports based on monitoring activity
Seems really strange that a gambling website would snitch on its own users. Probably a lot of guys who want to hide their gambling…

Walrus26

Wearing a Habs Toque in England.
May 24, 2018
Peterborough, UK

Shades of the scandal in international cricket around certain players bowling x number of wides or no-balls "to order" to satisfy 3rd party betting interests paying them for such services, as opposed to out and out match fixing (which isn't unknown, but is a lot rarer).

Seeing as the betting industry looks to take people's money for all sorts of in-game events rather than just the scoreline, this wouldn't be a outlandish hypothesis.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Just noticed that promising young forward Dawson Mercer has zero points in 6 games, didn't expect that.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Just noticed that promising young forward Dawson Mercer has zero points in 6 games, didn't expect that.
Flop!!!

Should dispatched to backwoods of Uppper Mongolia till he develops “properly” - every NJD hockey ops management & development personnel should be fired

• Haha
Reactions: Tyson
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad