Out of Town Thread - New Year's Edition!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I wonder how much difference there is between an affluent bubble in Edmonton versus an affluent bubble elsewhere. McDavid and Draisaitl spend half a season – about three months – living in a luxury condo somewhere in Edmonton, most of the time spent practicing and playing hockey. The majority of their year is spent travelling across North America or Summer-ing wherever they want. They don't have kids or family to care for, so how invested are they in their 'home' city?

All players have their own slightly customized checklist, but let's go macro and look at what NYC has going for them since they always seem to be the destination city for many players.

It's the biggest city in NA with world class amenities and entertainment options.

It's a place where you're treated like a king, yet, you can walk around in relative anonymity. You can be a big fish in a gigantic pond.

It's a place with the lightest travel schedule in the league.

Edmonton checks none of those boxes, and if all rosters in Canada are equal, I think Edmonton would only clearly outrank Winnipeg as a destination city.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
All players have their own slightly customized checklist, but let's go macro and look at what NYC has going for them since they always seem to be the destination city for many players.

It's the biggest city in NA with world class amenities and entertainment options.

It's a place where you're treated like a king, yet, you can walk around in relative anonymity. You can be a big fish in a gigantic pond.

Edmonton checks none of those boxes, and if all rosters in Canada are equal, I think Edmonton would only clearly outrank Winnipeg as a destination city.
Overall, yeah, there's no comparing Edmonton to NYC. But how many Broadway plays or museums would a 20-something hockey player go to? How much time does the average player spend exploring their team's city? I don't know the answer, but we do know their time is limited. 41 home games, approx. 3 months out of the year, most of which is spent working. I get the appeal of New York, but unless you're a tourist, the idea is more exciting than the daily grind of living there.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Overall, yeah, there's no comparing Edmonton to NYC. But how many Broadway plays or museums would a 20-something hockey player go to? How much time does the average player spend exploring their team's city? I don't know the answer, but we do know their time is limited. 41 home games, approx. 3 months out of the year, most of which is spent working. I get the appeal of New York, but unless you're a tourist, the idea is more exciting than the daily grind of living there.

If I was an NHLer.. New York is the last city I'd want to live in.

I'd prefer a place where I can live away from a big city and have my privacy, not be around so many people.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Living in Edmonton vs living in Miami, LA, Anaheim, New York, Vancouver, Toronto, or even Montreal. It’s a night and day difference I think. He will have 32 teams chasing him and offering him a max contract, I don’t see why he’d stay in Edmonton if not because he hates himself.

It’s not like Edmonton did him well, either. They squandered his career so far.
I hear that, but he also didn't have to sign an 8 year contract here either. The team looks close - time will tell what he does if they win or don't win before his contract is up.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Not so fun fact of the day (for Habs fans)

Sergachev registered his 49th assist of the year yesterday... One more and he will hit 50.

Something only , Damphousse, Koivu and Markov achieved since the Habs last won the cup, 30 years ago.

They traded him for a guy that has reached 50 points twice in his career 5 and 7 years ago, as a forward.

Well folks, thats it for the "Why we hate Bargainbin" segment!

Last edited:

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Not so fun fact of the day (for Habs fans)

Sergachev registered his 49th assist of the year yesterday... One more and he will hit 50.

Something only , Damphousse, Koivu and Markov achieved since the Habs last won the cup, 30 years ago.

They traded him for a guy that has reached that mark twice in his career 5 and 7 years ago, as a forward.

Well folks, thats it for the "Why we hate Bargainbin" segment!
Drouin never had 50 assists. He had 50 points but that's far less "impressive" than 50 assists.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
$8 to $10 million dollars a year, makes any ‘home’ city, exciting.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
It will be interesting to see how the Devils do.

Of their top 8 forwards points wise and then added in Meier, as he was lower down due to only being there for 15, 20 games, the Devils have 4 forwards over 6'0.

While looking at that just to see, I noticed their goaltenders have some really low save percentages. Thankfully for the Devils, the Rangers and the league in general isn't very big, or tough, so it might just be their goaltending that lets them down in that series.

Reactions: DAChampion

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

Everything you say is true, but the proof is in the pudding. I've followed the league for decades, and one of the constants has been that players want to play in new York. It hasn't mattered if the ranger were good, bad or ugly... Pre cap or cap. Nobody has had the level of ufa attraction as the rangers as consistently as they do.

Also, I don't think most players actually live in the hustle and bustle parts of Manhattan .... It's just an option available to them if they so choose.

It is a unique combination of having alot of perks of being a pro athlete in a world class city, yet nobody is going to stop you on the street or know who you are.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
Everything you say is true, but the proof is in the pudding. I've followed the league for decades, and one of the constants has been that players want to play in new York. It hasn't mattered if the ranger were good, bad or ugly... Pre cap or cap. Nobody has had the level of ufa attraction as the rangers as consistently as they do.

Also, I don't think most players actually live in the hustle and bustle parts of Manhattan .... It's just an option available to them if they so choose.

It is a unique combination of having alot of perks of being a pro athlete in a world class city, yet nobody is going to stop you on the street or know who you are.
A lot of Rangers players live in Rye which is close to Connecticut. Rye is also fairly close to their practice facility which is in Tarrytown.

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
If I was an NHLer.. New York is the last city I'd want to live in.

I'd prefer a place where I can live away from a big city and have my privacy, not be around so many people.
Apart from the southern markets New York is probably the best place to be if you wanna hide and just blend in. There is so many people and so much going on most people in New York will not recognize hockey players. They are very low on the totem pole in that city compared to the other major sports and celebrities.

Last edited:

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Was about to say this. I think Panarin’s then girlfriend at the time was a model so NYC or LA probably would had been ideal.
And Panarin never hid the fact he wanted to live in NYC due to the large Russian population

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019

It’s also about experiencing the hussle & bustle of city life for many players.

I for one absolutely hate peace & quiet associated w suburban & rural life, I need crowds & noise pollution associated with them to maintain my sanity

Reactions: amethyst

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Jets on their game tonight. They're thrashing Detroit 5-0 late in 2nd.

All the guys getting heavily criticized for their lack of production in March have scored too: Connor, Schiefele & Wheeler.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Jets on their game tonight. They're thrashing Detroit 5-0 late in 2nd.

All the guys getting heavily criticized for their lack of production in March have scored too: Connor, Schiefele & Wheeler.

I don't know about you but if I'm the top seed in the west, I'm kinda hoping Calgary doesn't slip into that final spot.

They're a potential sleeper that can do alot damage, and Sutter has a pretty decorated resume with what he's done as a bottom seed in the playoffs, including a calgary team that made it all the way to the finals game 7 that was not nearly as talented as this one.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
EgJrCQvXkAIfPtU.jpg

This guy reminds me of Arizona's GM

Reactions: Walrus26
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Ad

Ad