Out of Town Thread - New Year's Edition!

Status
Not open for further replies.

OldCraig71

Juice Arse
Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
you can get these cool unopened boxes on etsy from suppliers. The suppliers I purchased from are in ontario. It's a fun way to reconnect to one's childhood. I ordered a few hoping to find a Gretzky.. didn't happen :(

Which year or years did you purchase?

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Yes, it is a matter of patience because he's only really broken out offensively at 24 years old in his 6th nhl season.

I'm not talking about patience to see if someone is ready to play at the nhl level. I'm talking about patience in terms of blossoming. I see a lot of comments frustrated with Harris, and others calling Barron soft, and Guhle weak. These are kids playing a position that takes a few years to settle into.

As for the rest of your post, isn't sheltering him behind better D man an actual plan though? They had the luxury to let him develop in that way and it worked for them.
If he had 40pts as a rookie Habs fans would be erecting statues and sprouting erections.

Sergachev is not a good example of delayed development — he was a stud from day 1, he’s just simply gotten better.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
If he had 40pts as a rookie Habs fans would be erecting statues and sprouting erections.

Sergachev is not a good example of delayed development — he was a stud from day 1, he’s just simply gotten better.
40 points to 32, to 34 the following two years....Im not so sure Habs fans would have been so patient.

Also, I never said anything about delayed development. I said it took him 6 seasons to fully blossom offensively.

Last edited:

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
And two massive Stanley Cup runs, forget about those?
Stanley cups or not, it has taken Sergachev 6 year to fully blossom. He's progressed each year as you would expect for a Dman under 25.

I'm really surprised some of y'all are treating stay patient with young D as a controversial statement. Sergachev only eclipsed 50 points in 6th nhl season.

Seeing as how we are impatient with everyone, I'm 99% sure we would have been impatient with Sergachev as well, two cups or not. Hell, even some bolts fans were impatient with him up until last season

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Stanley cups or not, it has taken Sergachev 6 year to fully blossom. He's progressed each year as you would expect for a Dman under 25.

I'm really surprised some of y'all are treating stay patient with young D as a controversial statement. Sergachev only eclipsed 50 points in 6th nhl season.

Seeing as how we are impatient with everyone, I'm 99% sure we would have been impatient with Sergachev as well, two cups or not. Hell, even some bolts fans were impatient with him up until last season
Habs fans were super high on Romanov. It’s just you’re strangely down on Sergachev — he’s absolutely the wrong example for “patience” he was a stud from day 1.

Reactions: zeeto and Wats

GrandBison

Jul 1, 2019

I think we have a bias in our collective patience cause it's very unusual to have 4 rookie defensemen in the lineup and we can compare them to each other every night. When you think of it, all of them had an impressive season and were not sheltered behind Hedman and McD.

Reactions: ReHabs and jrom

Jul 6, 2016
I think we have a bias in our collective patience cause it's very unusual to have 4 rookie defensemen in the lineup and we can compare them to each other every night. When you think of it, all of them had an impressive season and were not sheltered behind Hedman and McD.
... and didn't have forwards like Stamkos, Kucherov or Point (among others) to make passes to. That helps the points totals.

Reactions: GrandBison

HuGort

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Jets surprised me this weekend. They looked like wheels falling off but played well against Jersey and Detroit. Big game coming up with them against Calgary

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Habs fans were super high on Romanov. It’s just you’re strangely down on Sergachev — he’s absolutely the wrong example for “patience” he was a stud from day 1.
I don't know if I trust your credibility here since you were the poster that was criticizing Slaf game-to-game and has been incredibly negative about him since draft day.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
I don't know if I trust your credibility here since you were the poster that was criticizing Slaf game-to-game and has been incredibly negative about him since draft day.
In the online commentary biz we call this an Ad Hominem.

I don’t particularly care to play that game since 1) I was obviously right about Slaf being not NHL quality this year and 2) he was an awful 1OA no matter what the rest of the top5 looked like at the time.

You’re trying to portray Sergachev as a late bloomer when he was a stud from the moment he was drafted. It’s really an unforced error on your part.

Reactions: Wats

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Jets surprised me this weekend. They looked like wheels falling off but played well against Jersey and Detroit. Big game coming up with them against Calgary

The last week of the season is underrated in terms of entertainment. FLA/PIT/NYI with long shot BUF in East and WPG/CGY/NSH in West will be interesting to watch.

Reactions: Zam Boni

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal

I don’t particularly care to play that game since 1) I was obviously right about Slaf being not NHL quality this year and 2) he was an awful 1OA no matter what the rest of the top5 looked like at the time.

You’re trying to portray Sergachev as a late bloomer when he was a stud from the moment he was drafted. It’s really an unforced error on your part.
I never said Sergachev was a late bloomer. I said he’s a good example of being patient for dmen to fully blossom. 60 points is a big step and he only did it in his 6th season.

Not one did I say Segachev was a bust prior to this season. He’s a good example of how long it can take for a dmen to fully develop all their tools.

The issue here is you think I’m ragging on Sergachev’s performances prior to this season. You’re wrong.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
I never said Sergachev was a late bloomer. I said he’s a good example of being patient for dmen to fully blossom. 60 points is a big step and he only did it in his 6th season.

Not one did I say Segachev was a bust prior to this season. He’s a good example of how long it can take for a dmen to fully develop all their tools.

The issue here is you think I’m ragging on Sergachev’s performances prior to this season. You’re wrong.
Sergachev was blue chip from his first game. He was never a tweener. He was instantly top4 on the best team in the NHL and never looked back. He’s just simply gotten better as time has gone by.

Blossom or bloom is a term better suited to players who’ve had a sharper growth trajectory.

Sergachev was a gamer from day 1. If the Habs’ rookies were as good as Sergachev as a rookie there wouldn’t be any need to cry for patience, Habs fans would be writing them in their wills before their rookie seasons were over. This is the same fanbase that genuinely thought Kotkaniemi was on the verge of breakout. Religious optimism is our thing.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Sergachev was blue chip from his first game. He was never a tweener. He was instantly top4 on the best team in the NHL and never looked back. He’s just simply gotten better as time has gone by.

Blossom or bloom is a term better suited to players who’ve had a sharper growth trajectory.

Sergachev was a gamer from day 1. If the Habs’ rookies were as good as Sergachev as a rookie there wouldn’t be any need to cry for patience, Habs fans would be writing them in their wills before their rookie seasons were over. This is the same fanbase that genuinely thought Kotkaniemi was on the verge of breakout. Religious optimism is our thing.
I think you argue for the sake of arguing. This is not what I’m disputing.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
He looked good early on He was a better prospect then Romanov but his offensive potential was somewhat in doubt after his mediocre performance in his last year in junior.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022

Entire post is garbage.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
He looked good early on He was a better prospect then Romanov but his offensive potential was somewhat in doubt after his mediocre performance in his last year in junior.
And then by the end of his rookie season there was no doubt he was a genuine NHL player and puck moving dman.

He’s among the worst examples of “players who needed fan patience before they blossomed” I could imagine

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
And then by the end of his rookie season there was no doubt he was a genuine NHL player and puck moving dman.

He’s among the worst examples of “players who needed fan patience before they blossomed” I could imagine
There was no guarantee he would develop into an offensive defenseman. and there never is. That is why in 40 years in my keeper league (points only) the majority of us stay stay away from defensemen. Almost as difficult to predict as goalies and production can change a lot from year to year.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

That game against Calgary is a playoff game for all intents and purposes.

I'm gonna catch that one if I can.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Ad

Ad